Cars you have had…

bluethrunthru

All through my life I have had this - I bought an Uno - cracking car - was told by all my colleagues should have bought a Fiesta - changed the Uno for a 205 - still the Fiesta was best - so bought a brand new 1100 Ghia and it was bobbins. Wouldn't start in the cold etc etc For clarity I found

GOOD EXPERIENCE

2CV and Dyane
Citroen GS
Morris 1800 Landcrab
SEAT Marbella
Citroen AX GT
1966 Mini Mk1
Morris Minor
Chevrolet Tacuma
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Renault Scenic
Astra 1.7 LPT Diesel 1995 model
Astra 2.0DTI 2000 Model
Dacia Duster

POOR EXPERIENCE - not always car but also dealer back up

Several Fords - Fiesta - Orion - Cortina - C-max etc
a number of other older cheaper cars and a Hyundai that fucking rotted away in proper short order

My current car, a 2016 merc, has been faultless for 3 years and 35k miles. I do have it serviced as and when it tells me though. Skimp and it will bum you dry. Servicing is cheap, repairs due to lack of, expensive.
I've had some great cars over the years. And some shitters.
Alfasud, 83. Engine was fantastic, handled like a go kart, brilliant to drive. Things fell off it while you were driving it, and you could hear the rust developing on the body on a quiet day.
Everything you've ever read about the sud is true. It was made of thin, cheap steel, that was already rusting before they pressed the panels.
It had a 5 speed gearbox, which at the time was pretty trick, but unfortunately gear selection was something of a lottery, it was like stirring a wooden stick in porridge.
The pedals were not only set so far off centre that it gave you cramp, but there was no discernable distance between them, press one, press all. The guy that signed that pedal box off must have had the smallest feet in Italy.
When I hoovered it out, random clips, bits of trim, screws, etc would shoot up the hose.
But somehow, I forgave it all the faults, it had character, and it never let me down. The only car I've ever regretted selling.
Got loads more memories of cars I've owned.
Gonna be a good thread this.

Had a brand new Mondeo when it replaced the Sierra about 1995
My neighbour, a mechanic, looked around it memorised and pointed to the country of manufacture, Germany
He said "this'll be a great car. Look where it's been built"

It turned out to be the biggest, most unreliable, worst constructed piece of shit I've ever driven, plus all the franchise dealers were hopeless

Back in the late 80's my Morris 1100 blow up lol I didnt have much money to replace it.
I went to a garage in Cheshire somewhere looking for a cheap car. The bloke said he had a 5 year old Lancia Beta round the back. It was at the time of the rust scandal, the crappy cheap steel.
I checked where the reported rust problems where and it was spotless. I offer him £150 he said yep.

So I bought a top of the range low mileage 5 year old Lancia Beta.

It went like a rocket, beautiful interior, great engine. Kept it for years and never had a problem with it.

It's my second most favourite car I have own behind my triumph spitfire

All through my life I have had this - I bought an Uno - cracking car - was told by all my colleagues should have bought a Fiesta - changed the Uno for a 205 - still the Fiesta was best - so bought a brand new 1100 Ghia and it was bobbins. Wouldn't start in the cold etc etc For clarity I found

GOOD EXPERIENCE

2CV and Dyane
Citroen GS
Morris 1800 Landcrab
SEAT Marbella
Citroen AX GT
1966 Mini Mk1
Morris Minor
Chevrolet Tacuma
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Renault Scenic
Astra 1.7 LPT Diesel 1995 model
Astra 2.0DTI 2000 Model
Dacia Duster

Several Fords - Fiesta - Orion - Cortina - C-max etc
a number of other older cheaper cars and a Hyundai that fucking rotted away in proper short order
Its a shame Fiat seem to have gone off the boil these days. Had both an Uno and a couple of Punto's over the years and all were great little cars, yet they never got much love from the motoring press.

Some franchises behave like arthur daley wide boys hiding behind pretty facades of piped music and free coffee.
Their Nos 1 priority is to move metal and be damned with complaintifs that barr their way.

It's easy to sell a car, but the proof of the puddings is in the eating (aftersales) It's an inanimate object and things can and do go wrong, but it's how they deal with a problem, that marks them as men. Just saying like.

I was recomended a Hillman Avenger that was pure brilliant for tricep workouts. Spent more time dragging the car from left to right to free up the starter then actually drive "the thing"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.