Centre back options

so west brom want at least £30m for evans and Alderweireld can leave spurs next sewason for £22m........so we not be offering spurs the £30-35 for him?

The clause is in 2019.

Besides that Alderweireld is much more valuable to Spurs in a year of playing and losing 20m then losing him and gaining 20m.

20m can do fuck all these days.

I'd rather take Sakho for 30M based on his performances for Palace at the end of last season. He might be a bit bonkers but there's a beast of a defender in there somewhere. Younger and better than Evans, with the physical presence of VVD at less than half the price.

I bet if we expressed interest in him you can guarantee that the scousers would jack the price up though... 30M to West Brom 50M to us...

I'd rather take Sakho for 30M based on his performances for Palace at the end of last season. He might be a bit bonkers but there's a beast of a defender in there somewhere. Younger and better than Evans, with the physical presence of VVD at less than half the price.

I bet if we expressed interest in him you can guarantee that the scousers would jack the price up though... 30M to West Brom 50M to us...

i dont think saki is good enough. not great on the ball and does better when in a more defensive team

Getting Alderweireld next summer and keeping Mangala until then would be my preferred option CB-wise.

Shit footballer not as good on the ball as Mangala....he wouldn't last 2 mins in a Pep side

There is so much wrong with this post.

So are you suggesting the following:

1: D.Silva, B.Silva and KDB will remain on top form and uninjured throughout the 60-65 games City will have to play without injuries or red cards?

2: As things stand we would be able to defeat a team like Real Madrid (while keeping a eye on a tough PL fixture in the next weekend) with someone like Delph in a CM position.

3: Alli is more "unsellable" than Bale, Modric, Carrick, Berbatov and Walker*. Despite the fact all 5 of those players have played a massive part in their recent upturn in performances (in the last few seasons) and the fact Spurs suffered after the loss of those players.

4: We can win the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League with just 22 players (and not all of them have to be WC), despite the fact evidence seems to differ (we are certainly not going to win any of them it by drawing against teams such as Everton).

5: Delle Alli will end up winning the Champions League (and a large number of Premier League Titles and FA Cups) with Spurs.

*Objectively speaking, if Spurs want to progress as a football club, they need to stop selling their best players every few years or so.

I am doing this to have a go at you or to slag you off, rather what I am trying to say is that this is the impression I am getting when you say ""there is so much wrong with this post". If you feel that I am mistaken in any of those claims I would be more than happy to hear why that is the case.

I will deal with just the first part because I really don't have the time to explain all of this to you. In short the PL rules for squad size is different from the CL rules. The CL rules are all that matter.

I am aware about what the UCL squad rules state. Still for me the priority is getting the Domestic Squad right (considering the vast majority of the games we would play are in the EPL/Domestic Cups). before we made the needed reductions for the European Squad.

Likewise speaking about those rules in question, can I just say that it is bad enough for City to follow the EPL squad rules as it is. It is far worse for City to also have to deal with a separate (and even more ridiculously strict) set of rules for the UCL. In fact at the very least City should be pushing for the EPL to at least partly relax the squad rules in place (assuming UEFA cannot be bribed into relaxing their squad rules at the same time), which would allow us to have a set of players more focused on winning the Premier League/FA Cup/League Cup and another set more focused on winning the Champion's League

Likewise speaking about those rules in question, can I just say that it is bad enough for City to follow the EPL squad rules as it is. It is far worse for City to also have to deal with a separate (and even more ridiculously strict) set of rules for the UCL. In fact at the very least City should be pushing for the EPL to at least partly relax the squad rules in place (assuming UEFA cannot be bribed into relaxing their squad rules at the same time), which would allow us to have a set of players more focused on winning the Premier League/FA Cup/League Cup and another set more focused on winning the Champion's League
Slightly off-topic but I don't see the CL squad rules as "ridiculously strict" at all, they're intended to encourage clubs to develop players through their youth systems. You seem to be implying that the rules should be eased just to help clubs like us who can afford a more expensive squad.

Slightly off-topic but I don't see the CL squad rules as "ridiculously strict" at all

I find the EPL squad rules "ridiculously strict" (let alone the UCL ones) because they don't allow clubs like our own to have 2 WC players* in every position on the field. Likewise having the UCL squad rules be different to the EPL squad rules is firstly not needed and only makes the task harder for the clubs in question.

*Which is the bare minimum needed to reach the goals the owners have set, although I think you need 3 WC players (or close to) per position to be able to win Doubles/Trebles/Quadruples on a regular basis, especially when the going gets tough.

they're intended to encourage clubs to develop players through their youth systems.

Except they don't to a great degree, because from the way I see it the problem is not that "clubs are not producing enough players from the academy"* but rather actually getting them to play for the first team (if they are talented enough). Now one might say "well why not just gamble by actually playing them", except for the major clubs in the EPL, you cannot afford to put anything other than your proven strongest XI (based on the resources you have and the other games you have) for the vast majority of games. The recent game against Everton is a good example of this.

Likewise for the young players themselves I feel it is unreasonable (and harmful for their development) to immediately place such players on the first teams of big clubs such as ours, simply because no matter how talented the player is, you cannot expect them to have a perfect debut in such a high expectations/pressure environment, rather you need to give them a space where they do not have such high expectations/pressure and are allowed to thrive and build up their experience in senior football.

So if they want to see WC British Players emerge and have them play in the EPL, they need to look less towards squad limits and quotas and more towards the likes of Tottenham Hotspur** and Barcelona (and their youth development policies), in other words they either need to allow official B-Teams to play in the Football League or allow unofficial partnerships to be established between Premier League/Football League clubs when it comes to youth development.

*One only has to look at the academies of major clubs such as ours and the recent performances of the England Youth Teams.

**The former is a club which plays in the EPL and has a high but realistic level of ambition (in other words the best place for a youth player to thrive), the latter has a B team which is best placed to provide such an enviroment.

You seem to be implying that the rules should be eased just to help clubs like us who can afford a more expensive squad.

I am, but it is not just this club. Rather I am talking about all the major clubs in the Premier League (i.e. the ones who have a realistic chance at winning the EPL and/or the Domestic Cups and/or something in Europe) and even smaller clubs who want to both try and stay in the Premier League and go on good cup wins (right up to winning it)*.

Likewise such a relaxation would also make it easier for English Clubs to win European Trophies.

*Rather than having to pick between one or the other.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.