Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

"we all know what our strongest lineup & formation was..." is the last refuge of those who don't like the result and decide to take it out on the manager. You aren't, and no-one on this thread is in any way qualified to sit in judgement on Pep. The sad fact is that it doesn't matter who had started on Saturday night would have made little difference, whether it had been Ferna or Rodri or both. I'm afraid that from the very first minutes it was evident that the occasion was simply too big and that the team were leaden legged and too slow in thought and execution so that basic ball control was missing, passes were misplaced and we hardly won a single second ball. Ferna actually made no difference when he came on and Chelsea continued to cause havoc with simple through balls straight down the middle. This was because Stones showed an uncertainty and nerviness not seen all season, Dias showed he is a long way from being Vinnie on the biggest of occasions and Zinchenko had a turbulent evening, most notably when failing to follow Havertz. Ferna is a great player and leader but he isn't a miracle worker. Nor does he solve the problem we had up front where we did have our "strongest line up". Jesus and Aguero made little impact basically because we had no idea what we were doing. Sterling got nothing out of James and his touch was heavy and passing poor and Mahrez was kept wide so that he never posed any problems for Chilwell. Rarely did we get into their area and even more rarely did we have anyone in there to take advantage if we had. The problem on Saturday night was that no-one on that field performed anything like up to standard, nowhere near, and the idea that Ferna or Rodri would have turned that onto a winning performance is quite frankly a massive delusion. In my opinion those lads were not ready to carry the weight of the almost Messianic belief that these were the lads who were going to lead City out of the desert after a ten year journey to the paradise of champions league glory and they choked. This is one we can put down to experience. And my consolation is that next year "our best line up" will be a little different but much more experienced and there'll be no mistake.
We dominated when Fernandinho came on apart from maybe two chances they were pinned on their half and box, the resin the defenders were nervous us because they had no cover in front of them, the flair players couldn’t get into it because I genuinely think they didn’t know who to pick up as they got pulled all over the place. We got into their box numerous times Walker I’m particular but the final ball didn’t come. It would’ve been a more relaxed City team had we started with Fernandinho and allowed the others to play. Pep fucked up AGAIN. I’ll guarantee Laporte if he leaves will say as much because he tend to speak his mind.

I was very impressed by Tuchel's intelligence and clear thinking in his pre match interview.

I reckon he will turn into an even better manager than he is now.

I reckon Chelsea will be pushing us hard in the league next season..

JJ
They will get nothing near the manager is nothing but a cheerleader when it comes to big games ......,, he may get results against you lot and Liverpool but titles are won on beating the lesser teams and this twat had been handed his arse on a few occasions

mover the last couple of months Brighton,Southampton,Villa , Arsenal and Leicester (cup) and even relegated WBA hammered them .............. don’t listen to the hype the pressure now for him to deliver a title has been well and truly ranked up .......... winning the CL ( like de mateo ) may end up being his downfall

I really hope so aswell the guy comes across as an obnoxious arsehole

Just re-watched the game, after being lucky enough to be in Porto on Saturday. Already done to death on here but......
By far our worst offensive performance of the season, not one clear chance created - How often can you say that about a City team in the last 10 years - virtually never. Handful of half chances - we needed to take 1 and the cup was ours.

The goal - deary me - any half decent midfielder at any level, spots that space, sees the run and makes the pass - we made it easy, Stones out of position, not sure Zinchenko could have much more- not saying Ferna or Rodri would have challenged Mount, but I bet they’d have been in the space and Mount wouldn’t had such an straightforward pass to make.

why play our most out of form player, on the day Raheem was no worse than most, but his inclusion meant 2 things - we lost that defensive screen and passing base that Ferna or Rodri provide and we lost Gundogan intelligence in the Final third, keeping possession, moving the ball, building and maintaining pressure and most importantly making those unpredictable goal scoring runs.

We must sign a top quality ‘out and out’ Centre Forward - another game where this was a significant absence (even though we had one on the bench).

We don’t need both Sterling and Mahrez - both very good players - Mahrez incredible technique, Sterling pace and work rate - but I’m not sure about their contribution when in matters - one not both -surprised I’m writing this but I’d take. Grealish if we could move either on.

Theres no one I,d rather have than Pep, he’s been amazing for our club, but 2 days on it’s still on Pep this one - his tendency to over think things consistently in big games - is concerning.

was I glad I went to the hassle, stress, worry, expense and disappointment to be in Porto - too right I was - count me in for Russia next year ( please ) - be a breeze compared to this one.

Apologies for the long post - it’s a form of football counselling

Roll on August

There's no other manager on earth I'd rather have than Guardiola, however he's human & has his faults.

His decision to drop Fern or Rodri, in favour of bringing in an out of form Sterling, & moving Gundog & Foden away from where they've proved to be extremely effective, is being questioned by the media, pundits, City fans & opposition fans alike.

I was talking to a couple of family members who are Spurs fans, & a couple of mates, one Leeds & one Villa, & they were equally as stunned by the move Pep made. My heart sank when I saw the lineup, so much so I had to go back & stare at it again to make sure I hadn't got it wrong.

Just why? We were there. We were actually 90 minutes away from a potential Champions League victory, & Guardiola decides to tie our boot laces together, before we've walked out on the pitch. This is why I'm still pissed the fuck off 2 days later. It's not the defeat, it's that there's so much we could have done to avoid it.

My only hope is that Pep has a long hard look at himself over the summer, & reflects on some of his big Champions League decisions which have cost us & Bayern previously.
It's going to be a long summer with no game to get it out of our systems as soon as possible too. Bring on the new season! Onwards and upwards and Pep, please don't do this ever again!!

It's still hard to take but we will be back.
Pep got it wrong but he gets it right enough to let him off imo.

pep is a genius and his managing skills are out of this world
i like what he said about its like being on a knife edge being a manager. that's what drive him on
90 minutes from glory or failure its that buzz

at no state can this season be seen as failure even losing the final we have had a fantastic season
give pep a couple of strikers in the summer and maybe a left back
so looking forward to the new season and if we bring in the right players and add goals to the team we should be better than this season

I’ve been saying the same about that penalty. Maybe why Aguero got no look in at the final. It was big mistake not to bury that and get the upper hand psychologically.
Maybe I am being mean, but in the 10 minutes Sergio was on he had a wide chance on the left and crossed rather than taking the responsibility to shoot - like his brilliant left footed goal against Liverpool a few seasons ago from a similar position

I’m still so fed up at that diabolical performance. It reminded me of watching the Brazil V Germany semi in 2014, when Brazil collapsed. That sickening feeling of watching a disaster unfold. Felt so sorry for their fans that night. The fans feel it more than anyone else.

Technically, that sort of block is far less difficult to achieve than the total football we try to play. Get a lot of players defending, condense the play and work hard. Steve Bruce did it this season. That's why I'll be quite happy if Tuchel gets a long contract. A quick fix but you can only play that sort of football for so long.

It's frustrating at times that it works against us but if City stick to their principles, I believe true greatness will be achieved.

He did what he says he does every single game - he picks a team that he thinks is the right one to win the match. Every game that is what he does.
Pep says he does ... but its very clear that he rotates in players, even when they are out of form. Mahrez has said he'd be very happy to play twice a week ... Mahrez has been brilliant this season - I would say the top player of the team ... just because he had a bad game in the final, people shouldn't bag him - I think he's been as exciting as Sane.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.