Champions League Games 7/8 August

After what rule exactly?

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact, it is penalised by a direct free kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
Comfortably falls under kicking an opponent in a careless manner, had no awareness Messi was there, has kicked him thus fouling him and not that it is relevant, as you don't need to be in possession for a foul to be given, but Messi in effect gains possession by being in front, nearest to the ball and about to gain control of it. Koulibaly has lost possession by virtue of him having to kick through Messi to try and clear it. It was careless, Messi has snuck in like the wizard he is and caught him out. It's unlucky for Koulibaly but you have to be more aware when Messi is lurking.

If an offence involves contact, it is penalised by a direct free kick.
  • Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution.
Well, that's exactly what Messi did. What if Koulibaly took a groin injury by Messi blocking the shot from behind?

Also, why did get Lyon the penalty when Juve's player cleared the ball but caught Aouar afterwards?? After your interpretation the Juve player was in possession.

Should we now try to move behind opponents in their box and if they loung out to clear the ball they kick us and we get a penalty?

Messi was blocking an honest attempt to clear the ball without getting to the ball. That's a foul and free kick for Napoli.

What if Mané does this to Laporte...

Well, that's exactly what Messi did. What if Koulibaly took a groin injury by Messi blocking the shot from behind?

Also, why did get Lyon the penalty when Juve's player cleared the ball but caught Aouar afterwards?? After your interpretation the Juve player was in possession.

Should we now try to move behind opponents in their box and if they loung out to clear the ball they kick us and we get a penalty?

Messi was blocking an honest attempt to clear the ball without getting to the ball. That's a foul and free kick for Napoli.

Koulibaly has kicked him, it's a foul, regardless of possession and is a penalty. It's really simple. A foul is a foul anywhere on the pitch, the ball doesn't even need to be involved. I merely pointed out, that in this case, Koulibaly had lost possession anyway, not that it made a difference to the foul it was just correcting your assertion anyway.

Koulibaly has kicked him, it's a foul, regardless of possession and is a penalty. It's really simple. A foul is a foul anywhere on the pitch, the ball doesn't even need to be involved. I merely pointed out, that in this case, Koulibaly had lost possession anyway, not that it made a difference to the foul it was just correcting your assertion anyway.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.
You just refuse to comment on my arguments and post common places.
That you don't even consider it's a tricky situation says it all.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.
You just refuse to comment on my arguments and post common places.
That you don't even consider it's a tricky situation says it all.

I've commented on your arguments. I've stated the facts of it, there's nothing more to it, it isn't tricky in the slightest. You just want to disagree, which is your prerogative but you're wrong.

Messi can't block it from behind, that's impossible, if Koulibaly gets hurt it's unfortunate but he's kicked Messi, simple as. I haven't seen the Juve one so can't comment, I've seen what's been posted for Kouli and it's a clear pen. Messi positioned himself in front of the defender to claim possession of the ball, and Koulibaly kicked him from behind. Though, as I've stated, possession is irrelevant to the foul.

If it was the same incident between Mane and Laporte it would be a penalty to Liverpool, and people would rightly bemoan Laporte for being careless.

I have to say, after our match with Lyon and Napoli's with Barça I understand your complaints about VAR.

Lyon were given a penalty (which was worth double as per away rules) that was nonexistent, as in replays it's evident that Bentancur got the ball first. I invite you to watch the highlights if you're sceptical. Even the commentators, who were not Juve supporters (think McManaman for you), were surprised. They checked with VAR and everyone thought they would have cancelled it but no, they confirmed it against all logic.

Then there's been a few controversies in Barça-Napoli. In that case it was a little less important in the balance of the match since Barça still proceeded to destroy Napoli, but still.

I've had little to no complaints with VAR in Serie A, where it has usually improved referees decisions, but I'm beginning to see that in Europe it's surprisingly used very badly.

At this point in the CL I'll support Atalanta and then you guys as my second best team, just for fun. You'll probably tear Lyon a new one, it's really a poor team (and that speaks volumes about our current state).

Ironically Mane has won a penalty on a similar occasion, in a PL match. Perhaps a member remembers the match and could post the video? Too tired to do it myself at the moment...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.