Champions League Haters

It's only a matter of time before we win 'Old Big Ears'.
When we do, it will be interesting to see if there's a change of attitude.
If we win it this year, we might have the fun of smashing the Rags in the Super Cup. That would be better than the CL!
Hope it is not a one off game at the Etihad.

It's only a matter of time before we win 'Old Big Ears'.
When we do, it will be interesting to see if there's a change of attitude.
If we win it this year, we might have the fun of smashing the Rags in the Super Cup. That would be better than the CL!
Sorry but I beg to differ. Some of the top teams are evolving all the time and getting better each year. If we dont win it this year, it could be a long time before we do. Besides Peps not going to be here forever. If we do win it this year we'll at least have the experience of going all the way which will lay the foundations for future success.

It's the media narrative that we as fans are desperate to win the CL that pisses me off. They make so many assumptions about our fan base and they are so often very wide of the mark. I personally am not having some jumped up pundit **** telling me i am desperate to win the CL when i am not. It is as though they are taking the piss out of us assuming we are the same as fans of other clubs whose whole existence centres on the CL.

Don't get me wrong, i love the football, but then i also love watching the Dog and Duck v the Cock and Hen because its football. Football is not just a sport for the elite, it is a sport played by many and enjoyed by millions, the CL forgets that at times as it concentrates on an elite.

I enjoyed the UEFA Cup nights in the 70s at Maine Road and marvelled at Boniek et al, but the CL leaves me cold, i watch of course because its football, i go to as many of the away's as i can because its new and interesting and i love being with fellow Blues in distant lands, but i rarely bother with a Cl home game as its sanitised and I feel as though I am watching a brand rather than a football match.

It pisses me off that our fans are looked at by the media as not being like other fans when it comes to the CL, but they don't understand our grievances, they expect "glorious nights" like they love to talk about at Anfield. They accuse us of lacking passion and don't understand why we lack passion for these "glorious nights". Its wrapped up in this ridiculous history narrative and of course having read Wilson's diatribe in today's Guardian about us and PSG is it any wonder why so many are switched off from the CL .

Do I want us to win the CL, yeah I suppose so, but give me any of the domestic trophies over it and I will be happy. I don't hate the CL but i don't love it either and winning the FA Cup would mean far more to me than a trophy played for by a select elite.

Recently when we played Leicester I pacing the room, shouting at the TV , we played Dortmund and I didn't feel the same level of passion for the game as I did for the Leicester game. I wanted us to win of course, but if we had lost to Dortmund i wouldn't have been overly bothered by it, lose against Chelsea on Saturday and I will be gutted, lose against Spurs in the League Cup Final and I will be gutted and if we somehow manage to throw the title away I will be distraught. Lose to PSG and i wont be arsed.

It's the media narrative that we as fans are desperate to win the CL that pisses me off. They make so many assumptions about our fan base and they are so often very wide of the mark. I personally am not having some jumped up pundit **** telling me i am desperate to win the CL when i am not. It is as though they are taking the piss out of us assuming we are the same as fans of other clubs whose whole existence centres on the CL.

Don't get me wrong, i love the football, but then i also love watching the Dog and Duck v the Cock and Hen because its football. Football is not just a sport for the elite, it is a sport played by many and enjoyed by millions, the CL forgets that at times as it concentrates on an elite.

I enjoyed the UEFA Cup nights in the 70s at Maine Road and marvelled at Boniek et al, but the CL leaves me cold, i watch of course because its football, i go to as many of the away's as i can because its new and interesting and i love being with fellow Blues in distant lands, but i rarely bother with a Cl home game as its sanitised and I feel as though I am watching a brand rather than a football match.

It pisses me off that our fans are looked at by the media as not being like other fans when it comes to the CL, but they don't understand our grievances, they expect "glorious nights" like they love to talk about at Anfield. They accuse us of lacking passion and don't understand why we lack passion for these "glorious nights". Its wrapped up in this ridiculous history narrative and of course having read Wilson's diatribe in today's Guardian about us and PSG is it any wonder why so many are switched off from the CL .

Do I want us to win the CL, yeah I suppose so, but give me any of the domestic trophies over it and I will be happy. I don't hate the CL but i don't love it either and winning the FA Cup would mean far more to me than a trophy played for by a select elite.

Recently when we played Leicester I pacing the room, shouting at the TV , we played Dortmund and I didn't feel the same level of passion for the game as I did for the Leicester game. I wanted us to win of course, but if we had lost to Dortmund i wouldn't have been overly bothered by it, lose against Chelsea on Saturday and I will be gutted, lose against Spurs in the League Cup Final and I will be gutted and if we somehow manage to throw the title away I will be distraught. Lose to PSG and i wont be arsed.

Perfect. Just perfect.

Young guy - We need to win the CL
Middle aged guy - We need to win the League title
Old guy - Just beat our closest rivals

The wisdom of old men

’Why should not old men be mad?’
I must be an old guy who thinks like a middle aged young guy then

Winning the Champions league would be akin to 2011 FA Cup, a watershed moment in the development of the club. It would open up huge revenue streams, plus sponsorship deal reviews and increases (maybe this is why the stadium and shirt deal, is on a rolling contract at the moment).
But the real benefit would be the fact of winning it, the monkey off the back! The belief carried forward just as with that FA Cup win 10 years ago.

Anyway, Win or lose, here’s to the next 10 years of the best team in the land and all the world.

Being really honest, I find the small numbers of City fans who claim not to be bothered about the Champions League to be a bit small-minded, parochial and pathetic. It's the biggest club competition in the world for god's sake. The only way as a fan I can ever get close to the Aguero moment would be by winning it.

I'd sacrifice the league right now if it meant winning it this year.

It might be the most prestigious club football competition because of the club teams in it, but it isn't the 'CHAMPIONS' League. As we all know, the CL is also manipulated and rigged by UEFA, which diminishes it's credibility even more.

Winning the CL will NEVER come close to the Aguero moment. Maybe for you, but I'm betting not for the overwhelming majority of City fans. I doubt anything in our remaining City lives before we die will ever come anywhere close to that moment.

"You'll never see anything like this ever again"

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.