Champions league new look

Away goals were brought in to stop teams turning up and parking the bus as was the reason to increase wins from 2 points to 3 in the domestic leagues. In the main it has worked. Older fans will remember going to home European games where we were drawn at home first and being bored to tears and ending up not going to these games. Fenerbache still haunts me.

They were also brought in as any away team had a genuine disadvantage due to some teams being behind the Iron Curtain, budgets being small so scouting was difficult/impossible and also the state of the pitches

Teams literally wouldn't know who played left-wing or the opposition skill set until 20 minutes in.

None of those reasons can be reasonably argued in 2020, that is why I think away goals should be scrapped

That might have been true years ago but it’s certainly not the case now. If anything it encourages the home team to not have a go. It’s why 0-0 at home is considered a good result now. For me, it’s bag o shite and should be dumped, forthwith.
Never understood why winning 5-2 at home and getting beat 3-0 away means you are out and, frankly, I’d rather go out on penalties than lose on away goals.

I agree. I'd go for something like whoever has the most away goals gets choice of ends and choice of who goes first for the penalty shootout. Give it some advantage but a draw is a draw. As proven by our recent exits, away goals just completely distorts the tie after the first leg. It was satisfying just to beat Madrid in both legs by being the better team, and it takes away some of the power from VAR as the Spurs came would have carried on last season despite the VAR interventions, whereas Llorente's handball knocked us out because of the away goals.

for a few years I have said the Champs League would happily be f++ked off to anywhere in the World if they pay more, fans just get in the ay. A few quid for gate receipts is buttons in comparison. If Qatar or somewhere else is willing to pay enough for a last 8 / last 16 etc. knock out then it will happen. And personally I can see it happening because if you think how much money the World and European Club Comps make - this is next. Problem is each team will then only get about 7000 tickets because like the World Cup all tickets will be sold to anyone months in advance. It will happen I am sure

They were also brought in as any away team had a genuine disadvantage due to some teams being behind the Iron Curtain, budgets being small so scouting was difficult/impossible and also the state of the pitches
That definitely applied to any foreign team visiting Maine Rd up to 1971, their most common question was probably "who nicked the grass?".

The two classic "park the bus" European games in those days were Fenerbahce as mentioned above and even worse, Coimbra in the CupWinnersCup QF 2nd leg. 0-0 from the first leg and the Portuguese looked happy to take 0-0 all the way to a third match and the toss of a coin if necessary. Thankfully Tony Towers popped up to score with a minute or two of extra time remaining.

Especially when you get the mathematically challenged Fletch on BT telling us that the first goal we score isn't important due to the away goals rule.
Tbf he was, technically, correct. Real had to score at least twice to have a chance of progressing. They still only had to score twice at that point to force extra time.

That might have been true years ago but it’s certainly not the case now. If anything it encourages the home team to not have a go. It’s why 0-0 at home is considered a good result now. For me, it’s bag o shite and should be dumped, forthwith.
Never understood why winning 5-2 at home and getting beat 3-0 away means you are out and, frankly, I’d rather go out on penalties than lose on away goals.

Most fans who have endured European games when draw at home first in the 60s/70s would disagree.

Teams literally wouldn't know who played left-wing or the opposition skill set until 20 minutes in.

None of those reasons can be reasonably argued in 2020, that is why I think away goals should be scrapped

First time I have heard that slant on why away goaIs system was brought in?

Tbf he was, technically, correct. Real had to score at least twice to have a chance of progressing. They still only had to score twice at that point to force extra time.

If Real score twice then without our goal they win.

With our goal, they can only draw - it meant they needed three, or two and a penalty shooutout to win.

That's a pretty big difference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.