champions league performances - tactically unsophisticated

Funny, wasn't Juve's fortunate win at our place the first time they've won on English soil?

we don't control the middle of the park in the CL, like a Real or Barca like to do. Juve was actually a more disciplined performance than Gladbach, but I think we're closest to Pep's Bayern in terms of intent, I just think at this level you really need the best team suited to your style possible to win. We don't have the squad power of those sides, so tend to struggle in comparison.

The PL is just crash bang wallop shite. Players get used to playing that way and then find it harder to readapt to playing Euro football 6 times in autumn and winter.

PL teams are getting humped by Swiss clubs and struggling all over Europe. Italian and Spanish teams are light years ahead including the smaller clubs.
Yep just like Sevilla will show us tomorrow when they batter us 15-0.

Exactly. If it's just a question of tactics, then how come Ancelotti and Mourinho can't do it with an English club but can in every other country? How come Roberto Di Matteo and Rafa Benitez can win it with teams that are clearly not the most talented in the competition?

It's a cup competition, so there's always an element of luck involved, especially with similarly matched sides. But in general, the countries with the better teams do better on average. The reason why English clubs haven't done well in the past few years is because they haven't had great teams. Between 2005 and 2009, we had 6 out of the 10 finalists. Since then, we've had just one finalist, because we haven't had teams that are as good as Barca, Real, Bayern, etc. Since then, Chelsea suffered a slump in quality (although ironically won the CL with a far worse team than their best), Arsenal sold their best players every season for years, and are only now getting back to where they were, Liverpool have completely dropped off the map as a Premier League force, and the rags have sold world class players, had world class players retire, and have failed to replace them.

We've struggled to get to grips with the competition for a number of reasons. We're quite unique in being one of the only teams in history to be a massive scalp before we've even played a game in the competition. We've also been incredibly unlucky with draws (well not unlucky, it's designed that way), going up against the best Bayern team ever, the best Dortmund team for decades, the best Barcelona team ever... We've also failed to be organised enough defensively in the league, never mind the CL, so it's not a massive surprise to see that against better teams in a knock out competition, that becomes a problem. Hopefully we've addressed that somewhat this season.

Fully agree. In general the best teams win this competition. The 2005-2010 period was a golden one for the Premier and not so good for the rest of Europe. However, as Liverpool and Chelsea have demonstrated it is possible to win it with an inferior side with a large slice of luck. Also the high octane nature of English football added to the insane mid winter schedule with no break, does put Premier sides at a slight disadvantage come the spring.

I guess you were stunned we did not batter them 15-0.
Nope, actually wasn't. You're the one who said they're lightyears ahead, not me. We've got some of the best players in the world in our team and an ex Real Madrid manager so that argument is stupid.

Nope, actually wasn't. You're the one who said they're lightyears ahead, not me. We've got some of the best players in the world in our team and an ex Real Madrid manager so that argument is stupid.

Nope if you read my original post correctly, i was talking about the PL, i never mentioned City.
What you think i wrote is stupid, not what i actually did write.
Btw our record against the Spanish clubs is not stunning either.
La Liga is light years ahead of the PL, absolutely light years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.