Champions League pots

moomba

For those interested.

We're currently ranked 19th in Europe, however six clubs ranked above us (Arsenal, Inter, Valencia, Milan, Schalke and Liverpool) wouldn't qualify for the Champions League if their season was to end today.

So that puts us at 13th spot and in the second pot.

However there are 12 clubs that could overtake us in the UEFA rankings between now and the end of the season, 7 of those are currently in a position to qualify for the Champions League through their respective leagues.

So for us to make the second pot we have to hope that the six teams above don't get themselves into a qualifying spot through their league, or replace a team that is also ranked ahead of us. Then we have to hope that Dinamo Kiev, Zenit St Petersburg, PSG, Juventus, Ajax, Tottenham, Mentalists, Olympiakos, Bordeaux, Stuttgart, Bayer Leverkusen and Basel either get knocked out of Europe before overtaking us, or don't qualify for the champions league.

If I had to bet, I'd say it's pot 3 for us.

moomba said:
For those interested.

We're currently ranked 19th in Europe, however six clubs ranked above us (Arsenal, Inter, Valencia, Milan, Schalke and Liverpool) wouldn't qualify for the Champions League if their season was to end today.

However there are 12 clubs that could overtake us in the UEFA rankings between now and the end of the season, 7 of those are currently in a position to qualify for the Champions League through their respective leagues.

So for us to make the second pot we have to hope that the six teams above don't get themselves into a qualifying spot through their league, or replace a team that is also ranked ahead of us. Then we have to hope that Dinamo Kiev, Zenit St Petersburg, PSG, Juventus, Ajax, Tottenham, Mentalists, Olympiakos, Bordeaux, Stuttgart, Bayer Leverkusen and Basel either get knocked out of Europe before overtaking us, or don't qualify for the champions league.

Based on the last 2 campaigns I would say it doesn't actually matter
Make an incredibly hard group and thats where we will be

We don't deserve any more to be honest.

I still think the Champions of the top leagues should be automatically placed in pot one. Obviously that won't be us nest season but would have been this.

We need to start improving our European co-efficient to be sure of less difficult group placings.

moomba said:
For those interested.

Spurs - really???

The problem we will have is that we have to defend 20 points next season. Get any less than that and we go backwards for the 14/15 competition.

moomba said:
The problem we will have is that we have to defend 20 points next season. Get any less than that and we go backwards for the 14/15 competition.
Lets be honest for a second. We were diabolical in Europe this season, despite all 3 teams being good we should never of been out of the comp like that and because we were it will cost us for the next 4 years

crystal_mais said:
Spurs - really???

Currently 7 points behind us.<br /><br />-- Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:25 pm --<br /><br />
BoyBlue_1985 said:
moomba said:
Lets be honest for a second. We were diabolical in Europe this season, despite all 3 teams being good we should never of been out of the comp like that and because we were it will cost us for the next 4 years

A lot of people were happy for us to miss out on the Europa. Plenty of points to be picked up in that comp, and it will cost us missing out.

mancity dan said:
How do the points work?

2 points for a win, 1 for a draw in Champions League or Europa League matches (less for qualifiers). Bonus points for making the champions league group stages (4), making the knockouts of the champions league (5 points), and reaching the QF, SF and final of both comps (1 point).

There is a bonus country co-efficient (3-4 points for English sides normally). Last 5 years total points make up the rankings.

So far this season we've got 4 points for making the group stages, 3 points for the 3 draws and 2.4 points country co-efficient. So 9.4 points, but 5 years ago we only got 3.575 so we've actually increased our points this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.