Champions League to expand by 4 games a season?

Ric

Administrator
"Do you know what the Champions League needs? More group games...", said no one, ever.

Football started to eat itself a long time ago, but at what point will people say "enough is enough"? Hard to sympathise with the clubs (including ours) who complain about excessive fixture lists if they agree to go along with this.

What I don't get is why the FA would agree with it.

Football started to eat itself a long time ago, but at what point will people say "enough is enough"? Hard to sympathise with the clubs (including ours) who complain about excessive fixture lists if they agree to go along with this.

This move seems to me like it's just going to make people stop watching the group stages and just make the competition essentially a 16 team knockout between the 16 richest clubs in Europe that runs from Fenruary to June.

One thing I always think about though is why no one asks for bigger squads?

It makes sense, doesnt it? 23 man squads play a 55-60 game season, why not make it 28 if we're getting to 70 game seasons? And it has the effect the rich teams want in that it benefits them more than poor sides so the status quo is maintained.

At this point if we are just cramming as much football as possible down the audience's throat then at least look after the players physically. A 4th substitute maybe? Already got it in extra time.

As the old guard drop away the new improved FIFA 2020 lot will start making their own traditions and history. What we remember as football will be successfully replaced by non tribal globalist tripe with world leagues and even bigger superstars wearing ever more gaudy kits emblazoned with more sponsors raking in even more money.

Football was never broken it just didn't make enough money for the greedy leeches running the game, to us football fans the success was measured by bums on seats and atmosphere, now it's how much money is made and how much they can squeeze from supporters. Anyway, I'm off to buy my half and half scarves in advance get the best phone to take videos of the games so I can tell my mates that I have been so I can be in with the in crowd.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.