Championship footballer thought to be gay deletes his twitter account

A referee in the Northern League came out about 2 years ago. Really promising ref who was expected to have the potential to go onto the football league. When he came out his scores from both assessors and clubs suddenly plummeted. Having watched this lad referee I can assure you his performances did not change at all but the narrow minded assessors and club secretaries must have thought he had gone dramatically backwards from the day he announced his sexuality. Sad state of affairs but I can understand why this footballer will have thought twice about coming out.

What a fucking disgraceful state of affairs.

A referee in the Northern League came out about 2 years ago. Really promising ref who was expected to have the potential to go onto the football league. When he came out his scores from both assessors and clubs suddenly plummeted. Having watched this lad referee I can assure you his performances did not change at all but the narrow minded assessors and club secretaries must have thought he had gone dramatically backwards from the day he announced his sexuality. Sad state of affairs but I can understand why this footballer will have thought twice about coming out.
Probably the same thing that makes women's work frequently judged more harshly. There are loads of examples where a woman is more likely to be successful if the people judging her work don't know she's a woman, from blind auditions for musicians to hiding the names of academic researchers during peer review. It wouldn't surprise me if in sport, a similar subconscious prejudice applies to gay men.

The thing is there are lots of women footballers who have come out as gay, Megan Rapinoe being the famous one. However, I have yet to come across any male footballer who has identified themselves as gay. Are the abuse towards male footballers that bad in Europe?

Unfortunately the stereotype would be that a straight female footballer would be a surprise, not a gay one. And a top level player in this country would be abused in the mans game, without doubt. Someone just needs to be brave enough to do it, while they are still playing, and the banning orders for homophobic fans will eventually eradicate it. Having said that, racism is still alive so perhaps I am being optimistic.

I really can't comprehend why anyone anywhere gives the tiniest fuck as to what someone else gets up to in their private life as long as it's legal and doesn't harm anyone/anything else.

EDIT: Actually doesn't even matter if it's legal - after all, homosexuality was illegal not so long ago. As long as you're not harming anyone / anything else then why would anyone give a shit?

Last edited:
I thought it was a generation thing ( I am now 61) and remember the days as a group of city fans we would go Pakistan and gay bashing ( much to my shame now) around Moss Side and Rusholme . As the years have past I have watched my son fight the sporting community for his rights as a gay person he was a very good basketball player and was openly gay it ruined him. Today he is fighting a brain tumour with the same tenacity as he did his rights as a human being. He is one of the most fantastic people you could ever wish to meet.
WHY SHOULD IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE things have not really changed

While in general, society is more liberal over allowing people to live their lives how they want these days.

Football fans are generally thick as fuck and do and say idiotic things. And the thickest idiots of those football fans occupy Twitter.

There will be a lot of homophobic hate directed at any footballer on Twitter who comes out. Even people who don’t really mean it and think it’s just “bantz” to take the piss out of being gay.[/QUOL
“Football fans are generally thick as fuck” speak for yoursef!

This is annoying on many levels. Where the hell are these woke media types who descend on a CEO for saying a bad word in a tweet 10 years ago? This is exactly the sort of story they should have plastered over every publication they can get. If they were genuine and not pitch fork wielding flavour of the moment types this would have been highlighted beyond your post in this forum.

Sadly the freedom and equality these people want is cherry picked and subjective. Low league footy ref? why would they even know about him in their viscious little worlds right. Slamming a public figure for some minor indiscretion will get them more followers on twitter; Not some poor sod screwed by an institution of faceless nameless goons who have dictated this chaps career go nowhere based on nothing but their own narrow minded ignorant thoughts (utter arseholes).

I would not even have known he ha been blacklisted if not for your post @richardtheref and that sucks. I hope to heck he makes it and sees these tossers who screwed him named and shamed as they deserve it.

Are these reports available to the public at all? I assume not but worth asking.

I thought it was a generation thing ( I am now 61) and remember the days as a group of city fans we would go Pakistan and gay bashing ( much to my shame now) around Moss Side and Rusholme . As the years have past I have watched my son fight the sporting community for his rights as a gay person he was a very good basketball player and was openly gay it ruined him. Today he is fighting a brain tumour with the same tenacity as he did his rights as a human being. He is one of the most fantastic people you could ever wish to meet.
WHY SHOULD IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE things have not really changed

Strength, Blue.

This is annoying on many levels. Where the hell are these woke media types who descend on a CEO for saying a bad word in a tweet 10 years ago? This is exactly the sort of story they should have plastered over every publication they can get. If they were genuine and not pitch fork wielding flavour of the moment types this would have been highlighted beyond your post in this forum.

Sadly the freedom and equality these people want is cherry picked and subjective. Low league footy ref? why would they even know about him in their viscious little worlds right. Slamming a public figure for some minor indiscretion will get them more followers on twitter; Not some poor sod screwed by an institution of faceless nameless goons who have dictated this chaps career go nowhere based on nothing but their own narrow minded ignorant thoughts (utter arseholes).

I would not even have known he ha been blacklisted if not for your post @richardtheref and that sucks. I hope to heck he makes it and sees these tossers who screwed him named and shamed as they deserve it.

Are these reports available to the public at all? I assume not but worth asking.

The reports are not available to the public. The lad concerned has now took a year out but I seriously doubt he will ever return. The strange thing is that he never got grief from the players over his sexuality, just the people who were responsible for his career progression. He did get the usual crap over his decisions mind you. The good thing is that he is now coaching a womans team so he is not lost to football altogether.

What does that mean nowadays? I suspect there are many gay footballers whose team members know and don’t care. In the same way as when I was a teacher there were several gay teachers. All the other teachers knew but cared not one jot.
Think about it mate. Can a gay footballer get married? Can he even be seen in public with his boyfriend? No, because he'd have to come out to do that. Therefore, the life he is living is a life in the closet; from fans and the media at least anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.