Championship footballer thought to be gay deletes his twitter account

I think the statistic is around 10% of people are gay so there is likely to be around 40 gay footballers in the Premier league alone.

If there were to be a 'coming out'aybe they would be best to do it all to gather - strength in numbers - not that it should be an issue!

Also, why has there never been any kiss and tell stories in the press from men who have sleept with the footballers. There has been loads from women - I presume the press may have been offered the stories but turned them down to protect the player.

In this age who gives a f...k if he is gay? Does anyone ever wonder if someone is straight? Why should it bother anyone if they are gay?

I like gay people.

They contribute a lot less to the overpopulation issue.

Other than that I don’t really care, people are people and I don’t care who they’re shagging, as long as it’s another consenting adult.

I think the statistic is around 10% of people are gay so there is likely to be around 40 gay footballers in the Premier league alone.

If there were to be a 'coming out'aybe they would be best to do it all to gather - strength in numbers - not that it should be an issue!

Also, why has there never been any kiss and tell stories in the press from men who have sleept with the footballers. There has been loads from women - I presume the press may have been offered the stories but turned them down to protect the player.
Not really.All depends in the amount of the 10% who are very good at football.

Think it's around 2% in the UK.
It depends on the survey, who they asked and when they asked it. But the same studies with the same methodology get different results at different times, so I don't think many of them are massively reliable. All they really measure is how many people are willing to identify as gay, which isn't necessarily the same thing (ethnic minorities are consistently less likely to identify as gay even in an anonymous survey than white people, for example, even though biologically, they almost certainly have the same proportion).

But one possible reason why the 40 players figure is probably overstating it is that gay men tend to be underrepresented in certain professions, and given perceived attitudes towards gay men in team sports, professional football is probably one of those areas.

It depends on the survey, who they asked and when they asked it. But the same studies with the same methodology get different results at different times, so I don't think many of them are massively reliable. All they really measure is how many people are willing to identify as gay, which isn't necessarily the same thing (ethnic minorities are consistently less likely to identify as gay even in an anonymous survey than white people, for example, even though biologically, they almost certainly have the same proportion).

But one possible reason why the 40 players figure is probably overstating it is that gay men tend to be underrepresented in certain professions, and given perceived attitudes towards gay men in team sports, professional football is probably one of those areas.

I would agree with that. The poster I quoted was referring to statistics and the figure of 2% comes from the Office of National Statistics. Other than that it's pretty much guesswork.

In a way I'm glad that he didn't come out. For himself. Why should he fall at the sword as a martyr? He needs to put himself first.

If he wants to take this on then fair dues to him but if he doesn't then no pressure. The worst thing would be to regret it afterwards.

I feel sorry for people having to live a lie though. Maybe the football authorities need to take a stand more than they do.

Robbie Rogers was the first pro to come out before retirement (Fashanu came out after retirement) but Robbie felt he had to move back to the States to do it. What a sad narrative for Britain when the US seems more accepting than we are.

Pretty sure nobody else has come out since. It's been a few years. He left Leeds for LA. To be fair LA is rather cosmopolitan.

Robbie Rogers was the first pro to come out before retirement (Fashanu came out after retirement) but Robbie felt he had to move back to the States to do it. What a sad narrative for Britain when the US seems more accepting than we are.

Pretty sure nobody else has come out since. It's been a few years. He left Leeds for LA. To be fair LA is rather cosmopolitan.
Fashanu came out while he was still playing.
He signed for Hearts from Airdrie and he went public before he played for Airdrie.
One of the worst after he came out was his brother John.
He just wouldn't accept it at all and made a right arse of himself.
Justin played a couple of games for City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.