Championship footballer thought to be gay deletes his twitter account

It would appear to be a hoax all along, which if true, is a genuinely disgusting thing to do, but it did (re)start a conversation about homosexuality in football. The one thing I have seen over and over again on twitter, and I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread, is 'why do gay people feel the need to "announce to the world" that they're gay. Can't they just be gay and live their lives privately?" - to that I'd say this; coming out isn't announcing it to the world, it is announcing it to the people who care about you. Being openly gay still isn't an easy thing to do. Don't be fooled by the fact that we're in 2019. We've obviously made huge strides as a society, but gay men and women still face huge problems with family members, parents and society at large etc - and this is before we get to footballers who lead very public lives, and perform their jobs in front of thousands of screaming fans.

If they don't out themselves the papers do it for them by taking pictures of them in public with their partner. Or the only third option is to live a life of total secrecy and hide that part of their life from everyone, never go out together or do normal coupley things

I always thought this was a hoax, no gay person I've ever met would be happy to turn their coming out into a circus show, a social media campaign begging for likes and followers. If it was a genuine gay player looking to come out they wouldn't go about it like that. They'd have more self-respect than to sensationalise it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.