Change VAR or.................

trublue55

run the risk of alienating countless long standing, long suffering, money paying, match attending fans like myself, to the point where i am seriously contemplating not renewing my seasoncard, after 50 years of supporting City, over 20 years as a seasoncard holder spread over 2 spells from the 70's and again since 2005, all from about 140 miles away. Football used to be something you could only really enjoy watching live (apart from playing) then with the advent of television it became a documentary to enjoy, initially as a recorded programme, and then a live documentary. Now it has become a made for television soap opera or drama , purely for the armchair fan and **** the poor money payer at the ground. If anyone can tell me why our last 3 games had the ridiculous kick off times they did, when not for live tv broadcasting, i would be interested to know.

Any, i am tempted to say yesterday's VAR charade was one more nail in football's coffin. Let me start by saying, we all know and (reluctantly) accept that all goals go to VAR. City's third goal yesterday unfolded right in front of me in 101, the lino (fresh from the Specsavers new year sale) watched the move develop, saw nothing wrong, didn't flag, and eventually watched the ball end up in the Vale net, and was happy it was a goal. Mason, from the edge of the penalty are, looking straight at the goal, from very close to where the goal scoring shot was taken, immediately blew his whistle, and raised his arm to indicate he was disallowing the goal, and was awarding a free kick to Vale, (bearing in mind that VAR is going to check this and all goals). A few seconds after Mason had disallowed the "goal" lino sticks his flag up, and indicates offside as if to vindicate Mason's decision. There then followed the usual 2 to 3 minutes to check the bleeding "clear and obvious" and unfortunately they could not find any reason to disallow the goal. Mason slowly trudged back to the centre circle, and petulantly/ disgustedly threw the ball to the floor like a spoilt sulking child, as if to say "what more could i do"

Others have posted this or similar many times, but i honestly can't remember the last time i celebrated a City goal. The main purpose of football, scoring goals, and celebrating that success has been killed, it would appear for ever. I'll happily acknowledge that i am probably no different from many other City supporters, but a typical home game 1/19th of my seasoncard, plus £20 fuel, (3 in the car), plus min £20 food and drink, means it is costing me £100 per home game, and i am simply not enjoying it like i used to. It has nothing to do with being less (just this season) successful, don't forget i was here for for Stuart Pearce and Beanie, and not seeing a City goal at home from Jan 1st to the end of the season, and i have watched City through thin and thinner, and many's the time, i have seen us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but this is different, I FEEL CHEATED. I'VE BEEN ROBBED.If i do stop coming, i won't stop supporting City, but sadly it makes more sense to stay at home, watch it on TV, and swear at the television (at least you'd know what is going on).Not to mention a lot cheaper, and less frustrating.

I believe justice has to be seen to be believed, and the Court of VAR sits in secret, passes judgement, and we are expected to pay the fine. I can't think of a single reason why football doesn't follow rugby's lead. With ALL VAR reviews, the video they are reviewing should be played at the same time on the large screen, and the audio between referee and VAR should also be broadcast live. If they had nothing to hide ..........................???

With regards to offside, as others have posted previously, the current technology of 50 frames per second, means that the average moving player will move 16cm, from one single frame to the next. It is simply not accurate to call offsides of less than 50cm, for an armpit, a toe or a heel , but more to the point, i would question the morality of such, i personally don't ever think there has been a desire to forensically attempt to call offside to such a fine margin. Similarly we have fallen foul of VAR a couple of times with players coming back from an offside position (Mahrez offside , Foden scores v Everton), and i also believe Spurs in Champions League. I understand if you are onside when the ball is played, (if you time your run right), you could well be a couple of yards offside, by the time the ball reaches you, - but that is ok!! However if you are offside, when the ball is played, but are coming back towards your own goal, and by the time the ball reaches you, you are in an onside position, to me the play should have been deemed reset, no way, are you seeking to gain an advantage, you should not be called offside.

Something needs to be done, before it is too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think many of us feel exactly like that regarding VAR.
It has to adapt surely, cannot the powers that be see this implementation is making a farce out of the game we all love. The observations regarding frames per second are valid as is the seeking to gain an advantage aspect of offside which they blatantly ignore. As mere arbiters of the rules of the game it's a disgrace what has been going on this season.

The reason it's not like rugby is because that's fair, honest and transparent.

The Premier League is a product worth billions. How un-sound is the logic that VAR can be implemented without any oversight and at an unknown figures discretion? Mark my words, it will be changed next season so that it's in line with the European implementation. As Scudamore said, the Premier League wants a new winner every year and this was the only way they could manipulate the results in Liverpool's favour as the 10 diving penalties they are awarded every year wasn't enough to stop City, they now have to literally review every single goal we score to try and disallow whilst some teams get away with deliberate hand balls, off sides and fouls in the build up to their goals.

Well said trublu55, yesterday for the first time in 51 years of supporting City I did not celebrate the fourth goal. After the farce of the third I simply couldn't be arsed, I sat there, I didn't clap cheer or anything. The life had been drained out of me.
A 17 year old scored his first goal for City and was denied the right to celebrate until 3 minutes after when he was stood in his own half.
Throw in stupid kick off times, not being allowed to go on Tuesday and many other things and I am just about reaching the end. If it wasn't for the beer in the pub before and after and the mates I meet there would not be much point in going.

Some simple tweaks to VAr:
1. Have the ref and stockly park miked and videoed.
To ensure impartiality.

2. Enforce all PL grounds to have VAR screens.
To ensure impartiality

3. Allow retrospective use of matches video to rescind/add yellows/reds after a match irrespective of ref’s match report.
To ensure the rules of the game are adhered to and to help impartiality.

4. Compile and publish list of any ‘missed’ incidents per game - offsides, fouls, obstructions etc
To help impartiality and clamp down on cheating

harder tweaks to VAR:
1. Better define ‘clear and obvious’ for use of VAR.
Offsides - as pointed out by many. If it’s only offside by the width of pixels it’s not ‘clear and obvious’ offside.

2. Any incident notified to ref by team, to be reviewed - similar to cricket reviews.

Point 1.

This is not allowed. Some governing body says so. Forget which.

It's my main bugbear with var. Every other sport is open. Fans hear what's going on.
And the second point 1. I think the "clear and obvious" rule isn't used for "line calls" like offsides. It's only used for "judgement calls," like deciding if a player was fouled.

I’ve got one simple improvement to VAR. scrap it.

I reckon it’s people who wanted VAR in the first place that are calling for it to be adapted to ensure its longevity. We saw in the Spurs CL game they VAR was going to fcuk us over and we’ve had the proof of the pudding.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.