Check This Out

Lordeffingham

The following is a list of British transfer records set by English Clubs and clearly highlights which Club is predominently to blame when it comes to perpetuating the spiraling transfer fees, not just over the past 25 years but for very, very much longer:

March 1951 : Jackie Sewell : Notts County : Sheffield Wednesday : £34,500
July 1962 : Denis Law : Torino : Manchester United : £115,000

Manchester United caused the record to rise by more than 33%, more than tripling the previous record any English Club had paid, no other English Club paid more than £34,500 in the period between the transfers listed above.

October 1981 : Bryan Robson : West Bromwich Albion : Manchester United : £1,500,000
January 1995 : Andy Cole : Newcastle United : Manchester United : £7,000,000

Manchester United caused the record to rise by more than 450%, more than quadrupeling the previous record any English Club had paid, no other English Club paid more than £34,500 in the period between the transfers listed above.

June 1995 : Stan Collymore : Nottingham Forest : Liverpool : £8,500,000
July 1996 : Alan Shearer : Blackburn Rovers : Newcastle United : £15,000,000

Most fans were amzed by the size of the fee Newcastle paid for someone who clearly was the best centre forward in World footbal at the time, though due to the huge hike in fees directly due to Manchester Uniteds deal for Andy Cole, Newcasltle were facilitated in being able to afford a deal which raised the previous record set by Liverpool by around 40%.

July 2001 : Juan Sebastián Verón : Lazio : Manchester United : £28,100,000
July 2002 : Rio Ferdinand : Leeds United : Manchester United : £29,100,000

However just to top it off Manchester United then raised the bar to astronomic levels again when in the space of 12 months they spent an incredible combined £57,200,000, which in essence increased the amount paid out by any English Club by over 375%, an increase which no other Club in England and probably Globally could even have dreamt of.

In the 61 years covered above, Manchester City have broken the British transfer record twice, once in 1979 when they paid £1,450,000 for Steve Daley, an increase of between 20% and 30%, but which lasted for less than a Month before being beaten by Wolves. On the second and only other occasion was in 2008 some 30 years later when they paid £32,500,000 for Robhino, again raising the bar but again in City's case by a meagre in comparison 15%.

So as Slur Alex keeps suggesting, it is clearly the case that Clubs like Manchester City are those responsible for the state of todays transfer Madness!

The transfer fee was broken on several occasions between the Robson £1.5 and the Andy Cole £7 million

Pallister at £1.8m, Gazza at £2m and Cottee at £2.2m all immediately spring to mind. And Neil Webb might also have been a british transfer record.

Then it definitely increased in the early years of the Premier League, Chris Sutton was £5m, Shearer to Blackburn was £3.2m so United, as much as I agree with the general concept of the piece, didn't quadruple the transfer record

Lordeffingham said:
The following is a list of British transfer records set by English Clubs and clearly highlights which Club is predominently to blame when it comes to perpetuating the spiraling transfer fees, not just over the past 25 years but for very, very much longer:

March 1951 : Jackie Sewell : Notts County : Sheffield Wednesday : £34,500
July 1962 : Denis Law : Torino : Manchester United : £115,000

Manchester United caused the record to rise by more than 33%, more than tripling the previous record any English Club had paid, no other English Club paid more than £34,500 in the period between the transfers listed above.

October 1981 : Bryan Robson : West Bromwich Albion : Manchester United : £1,500,000
January 1995 : Andy Cole : Newcastle United : Manchester United : £7,000,000

Manchester United caused the record to rise by more than 450%, more than quadrupeling the previous record any English Club had paid, no other English Club paid more than £34,500 in the period between the transfers listed above.

June 1995 : Stan Collymore : Nottingham Forest : Liverpool : £8,500,000
July 1996 : Alan Shearer : Blackburn Rovers : Newcastle United : £15,000,000

Most fans were amzed by the size of the fee Newcastle paid for someone who clearly was the best centre forward in World footbal at the time, though due to the huge hike in fees directly due to Manchester Uniteds deal for Andy Cole, Newcasltle were facilitated in being able to afford a deal which raised the previous record set by Liverpool by around 40%.

July 2001 : Juan Sebastián Verón : Lazio : Manchester United : £28,100,000
July 2002 : Rio Ferdinand : Leeds United : Manchester United : £29,100,000

However just to top it off Manchester United then raised the bar to astronomic levels again when in the space of 12 months they spent an incredible combined £57,200,000, which in essence increased the amount paid out by any English Club by over 375%, an increase which no other Club in England and probably Globally could even have dreamt of.

In the 61 years covered above, Manchester City have broken the British transfer record twice, once in 1979 when they paid £1,450,000 for Steve Daley, an increase of between 20% and 30%, but which lasted for less than a Month before being beaten by Wolves. On the second and only other occasion was in 2008 some 30 years later when they paid £32,500,000 for Robhino, again raising the bar but again in City's case by a meagre in comparison 15%.

So as Slur Alex keeps suggesting, it is clearly the case that Clubs like Manchester City are those responsible for the state of todays transfer Madness!

Great write-up but common knowledge for anyone sane. I have been posting regarding this and United's inflation-discounted spending for quite sometime (and working to knock many Rag friends down a bit, as well). They have spent vast amounts, just as we have, but--as is usually the case with humanity--it was long ago so either forgotten or romanticised to help glorify it in comparison with our investment.<br /><br />-- Sun May 06, 2012 12:16 pm --<br /><br />
banbury_blue said:
The transfer fee was broken on several occasions between the Robson £1.5 and the Andy Cole £7 million

Pallister at £1.8m, Gazza at £2m and Cottee at £2.2m all immediately spring to mind. And Neil Webb might also have been a british transfer record.

Then it definitely increased in the early years of the Premier League, Chris Sutton was £5m, Shearer to Blackburn was £3.2m so United, as much as I agree with the general concept of the piece, didn't quadruple the transfer record

True, but the general upward slope had United to thank. If you were to plot the transfer record trend they would be what we in the business refer to as "Posts", or the main data point contributors (what AIG were to securities insurance in the 1990s; one of the reasons we should have all seen it coming, by the way).

Lies, damn lies & statistics hey! Interesting points, but at the risk of doing their work for them, your post does seem to be a rather selective use of all the available data. You add up 2 of their transfers together to present one of your examples. By doing so, you risk the rather obvious comeback that if you add all our spending together since the takeover, it has inflated the market considerably. Which I believe was his point!

There is an alternative option-ignore him!

He's a dick! And a soon to be irrelevant dick! Who gives a fuck what he says or thinks? Not me!!!

banbury_blue said:

Still twats though.

banbury_blue said:

Sorry to say, but the figures and what I originally said was all completely accurate and though I'm sure you were only trying to show fairness in what I described, you are in fact incorrect and I am right.

Feel free to show me when any English Club broke the British tansfer record between Robson and Coles transfers. you can't because none did, excepting of course that the facts detailed on Wikipedia are correct i the first place, but I think you'll almost certainly find they are.

Also, please don't guess about whether or not some expensive players might have broken the British transfer record, either they did or they didn't, and if you are claiming to be right, evidence the details that you claim.

None of Webb, Cotee, Pallister, Sutton, Shearer or Birtles for that matter broke the British Transfer record, Gazza did, but he wasn't bought by an English Club so is not listed in what I have highlighted, and therefore doesn't apply in the context of the post I submitted or it's point, however if you feel your nit picking justifies the Rags suggestions they are not the guilty ones when it comes to the general upping of tansfer fees paid, then hey ho.

Lordeffingham said:
banbury_blue said:

Sorry to say, but the figures and what I originally said was all completely accurate and though I'm sure you were only trying to show fairness in what I described, you are in fact incorrect and I am right.

Feel free to show me when any English Club broke the British tansfer record between Robson and Coles transfers. you can't because none did, excepting of course that the facts detailed on Wikipedia are correct i the first place, but I think you'll almost certainly find they are.

Also, please don't guess about whether or not some expensive players might have broken the British transfer record, either they did or they didn't, and if you are claiming to be right, evidence the details that you claim.

None of Webb, Cotee, Pallister, Sutton, Shearer or Birtles for that matter broke the British Transfer record, Gazza did, but he wasn't bought by an English Club so is not listed in what I have highlighted, and therefore doesn't apply in the context of the post I submitted or it's point, however if you feel your nit picking justifies the Rags suggestions they are not the guilty ones when it comes to the general upping of tansfer fees paid, then hey ho.

Between the Robson & Cole transfers Beardsley, Gazza, Cottee, Pallister, Shearer were all bought for higher fees than Robson. So they all broke the British transfer record(between British clubs). Hughes, Rush, Waddle, Platt & Gascoigne also broke it if you count the record to include foreign clubs buying from British clubs.

It all depends on how you class the British transfer record i.e. is the British transfer record £50 million (Torres - transfer between 2 British clubs) or £80 million (Ronaldo - A British club was involved in the transfer) Either way, the British transfer record was broken multiple times between the Robson & Cole transfers

messedupface said:
Lordeffingham said:
banbury_blue said:

Between the Robson & Cole transfers Beardsley, Gazza, Cottee, Pallister, Shearer were all bought for higher fees than Robson. So they all broke the British transfer record(between British clubs). Hughes, Rush, Waddle, Platt & Gascoigne also broke it if you count the record to include foreign clubs buying from British clubs.

It all depends on how you class the British transfer record i.e. is the British transfer record £50 million (Torres - transfer between 2 British clubs) or £80 million (Ronaldo - A British club was involved in the transfer) Either way, the British transfer record was broken multiple times between the Robson & Cole transfers

Paul Ince cost £2m+ and he was at the rags before Cole

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/05/manchester-united-manchester-city-alex-ferguson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... x-ferguson</a>

That said, such has been Cristiano Ronaldo's success in Spain that Ferguson is beginning to regret letting him go on the cheap. "There is still value in the market if you are going to be that successful," he said. "Ronaldo has scored more goals than he has played games. At the time we thought £80m wasn't bad business, but if Real Madrid had known how good he was going to be they would probably have paid £160m. He's been such a fantastic buy for them, maybe we should have asked for £800m."

Live by the sword die by the sword, you can't have it both ways Alex.

A very selective use of transfer fees to try and make a point. Between buying Robson and Cole, Utd spent more than the Robson fee but significantly less than the Cole fee on Parker, Pallister and Keane - all signed from British clubs, which I believe is the point of the post (Hughes was signed back from Barca for £1.8m, a profit of half a million on the fee received from Barca 2 years earlier). Roy Keane was actually bought for £3.75m, a huge fee at the time, and record between British clubs, which Blackburn had already agreed to pay so Utd matched to secure the deal. Interestingly enough the press were full of how Blackburns money was going to ruin football back then - the game's still here tho ;-)

It may give some context to remember City werent averse to flashing the cash back then either. In the early 90s you spent more than the Robson fee, referred to by the postwriter, on Alan Kernaghan, David Rocastle, Keith Curle and Terry Phelan - the latter 3 costing £2m+ each. In fact both Keith Curle and Terry Phelan were more expensive than either Parker or Pallister.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.