Chelsea (A) Post Match Thread

It always frustrates me when such a defensive match plan is working, playing like Burnley, at home...

We had our chances and didn't make them.
They had 1 and Leroy knows what was wrong.

2nd half we were quite helpless, sad to see.
We nearly lost any fight for the ball, I didn't like that at all.

We had a more defensive approach at Anfield and drew (nearly won).
We could have had the same yesterday, but were more risky and fucked it up.

Hope we learn something from the defeat. Move on.

Yep he had a very quiet game and like yourself wondered if he was carrying a knock. Bernardo was not as effective as normal as well.
We must give credit to chavs game plan . They parked blue bus in the middle and choked David and Bernie effectively. They had no space to operate and influence the game as usual. Hope David is back soon . His form so far has been the best I’ve seen from him .

First goal against the run of play... says it all really. Obviously we didn't take our chances but on the balance of play and the middle of the park we were having the better of it, Sarri will tell you himself the result is brilliant for them but he wont get carried away with the performance. It's not often things will go your way like it did for Chelsea when you lose the battle in midfield for the amount of time they did.

I completely disagree with your notion that they were the better team in the second half too, they simply matched us with their new found confidence after going in front, they scored from a set piece, they hardly cut us open and we were the team on the front foot so they had more space to exploit. For very small periods they did have us on the defensive a bit(they spent the majority of the game that way is the irony) but you're probably overcompensating because you aren't used to seeing it, the same head space as the commentary team were in. They deserve plenty of credit but they didn't dominate, they were a bit fortunate and it was an understrength City team against a full strength Chelsea pretty much.

When I say fortunate I mean the difference between a draw and a win for them, I don't think we were good enough for the 3 points as we didn't create as much as we normally do but they didn't create much themselves. We were patiently trying to fashion chances by outsmarting them, they were just trying to get as high up the pitch with the ball as they could in the hopes something would fall their way and it did... there's big difference between those mentalities but I suppose most will say the 3 points is all that matters.
Annoyed as I am about losing, I’m more inclined to your view. I thought we lacked personality in the second half but we were not outplayed, they were more clinical on the day.

We shouldnot be conceding a counter attacking goal that close to HT, that’s piss poor game management.

Annoyed as I am about losing, I’m more inclined to your view. I thought we lacked personality in the second half but we were not outplayed, they were more clinical on the day.

We shouldnot be conceding a counter attacking goal that close to HT, that’s piss poor game management.
Yeah we made mistakes for both of their goals too but how often will a team go a whole season without making any and it costing them a game from time to time? Liverpool will have theirs unless the refs really are out to save them all season.

I think the previous group of posts explain why Pep was pleased with our performance yesterday. As I said in my previous post in this thread, when we've lost games under him in the past it's because we've had a fundamental collapse, either for a brief period or for the whole game. In fact, when we've won certain games in the past Pep has been annoyed with our performances - remember that 2-1 win at Burnley when Pep was as frosty as anything after the match?

We lost yesterday but the system stayed together. We kept plugging away with our usual methods of attack, they just didn't work. Pep will be happier with us continuing with plan A and not creating chances than he would have been if we'd clawed a 2-2 draw by sticking Laporte up front and flinging long balls to him. It doesn't make sense to us but it's the kind of manager he is. The benefits are there for us all to see and I hope we can keep faith in the system and get back to winning ways next week.

First goal against the run of play... says it all really. Obviously we didn't take our chances but on the balance of play and the middle of the park we were having the better of it, Sarri will tell you himself the result is brilliant for them but he wont get carried away with the performance. It's not often things will go your way like it did for Chelsea when you lose the battle in midfield for the amount of time they did.

I completely disagree with your notion that they were the better team in the second half too, they simply matched us with their new found confidence after going in front, they scored from a set piece, they hardly cut us open and we were the team on the front foot so they had more space to exploit. For very small periods they did have us on the defensive a bit(they spent the majority of the game that way is the irony) but you're probably overcompensating because you aren't used to seeing it, the same head space as the commentary team were in. They deserve plenty of credit but they didn't dominate, they were a bit fortunate and it was an understrength City team against a full strength Chelsea pretty much.

When I say fortunate I mean the difference between a draw and a win for them, I don't think we were good enough for the 3 points as we didn't create as much as we normally do but they didn't create much themselves. We were patiently trying to fashion chances by outsmarting them, they were just trying to get as high up the pitch with the ball as they could in the hopes something would fall their way and it did... there's big difference between those mentalities but I suppose most will say the 3 points is all that matters.

Agree with what you are saying on the whole. I thought we ran out of ideas second half though and didn’t look like we would score had we played another hour.

It wasn’t a travesty of a result like say the rag defeat last year. Balance of play a draw would have been fair but hats of to them. It’s a blinding result for them after two defeats.

Just watched the highlights cannot believe Sane didn’t take that shot on first time! That would’ve been an insane team goal and we probably would’ve won if he just shot there.

I think its imperative that Liverpool dispose of Napoli to maintain there interest in the champions league. Apart from the opening 20 minutes of the second half i thought we shaded it.yesterday certainly possession wise .trouble is we did nothing with it The possible lay off to Merlin coupled with the absences of KDB and Aguero are a major worry Winning the title you need that bit of luck. and they got a fair share against Everton last week i dont say this often but i wont be sad seeing our red neighbours wining next week of course we have to take care of our business Finally my biggest fear is Ferdy. we have not got a replacement and he will need a rest to prevent burn out to not have decent cover is folly

I think Sarri deserves a LOT of credit for yesterday. He's very passionate about his method of football much like Pep is.

BUT Sarri remembers his track record vs Pep, and he altered his method of play, deploying a lower block (surprising Pep as he conceded himself) instead of playing his more usual riskier game.

Imagine if Pep had that in him too vs bogey teams like Liverpool. He'd shit on everyone even more than he does right now.

Yeah we made mistakes for both of their goals too but how often will a team go a whole season without making any and it costing them a game from time to time? Liverpool will have theirs unless the refs really are out to save them all season.

We can only take care of ourselves and see where we end up. No one else, especially the refs, is going to help us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.