Chelsea - FA Cup SF | Pre-Match Thread

Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahrez looked like he was struggling a bit when he came off, unless he was just playing the Scouser before a DHSS interview. I think Sterling has some decent recent form v Chelsea as well tbf
Agree mate, and so did Bernado after the first game. Both can be rested without a drop off. Gundogan and KDB are both key players who are playing a lot of games. I'd keep them in but then rest them for the villa game.

but what interests me is a pattern where after every loss against them we seem to go and win three in a row ... so if that trend continues, our next two wins against them are this FA Cup Semi Final ... and then perhaps a possible Champions League Final?
Sadly we play them in the Fa Cup and PL to complete that set of three before we’d face them in the CL final. So let’s hope Madrid beat them.

Sadly we play them in the Fa Cup and PL to complete that set of three before we’d face them in the CL final. So let’s hope Madrid beat them.

Great spot that ... I had it figured out after I had posted it last night and was doing the update on my fixtures calendar ... but was too lazy to change it and then thought let's leave it and see if anyone can spot it ... well done for reading my post to the end then :)

PS. I don't think we'll be meeting them in the final anyway ... when the draw was made, I had predicted PSG in the semis and Real Madrid in the final and I'm sticking by it!

Cracks me up the amount of people that are picking Eddy in goal in their predicted starting line ups!

I mean, I admit I have barely ever got a starting line up right, but I usually get past the goalie position before crashing and burning :)

Steffen will be in goal 100%

Others pretty much sure to start (I would think) are Laporte, Cancelo, Sterling & Jesus, possible even Mendy...so that only leaves 5 from last night's team that would need to start. If he uses all 5 of his subs, that could potentially mean hardly any of them would need to play a full 90 both yesterday & Saturday.

Anyway, another shout out to @MAG for his quality pre match thread write ups. I always read them and always find them of interest. Very much appreciate the amount of work you put into it mate, top man!!!

Very short memory if you think playing 2nd choice goalkeeper in the Cup isn't something that almost all European clubs do and have done for a very, very long time.

Is 2020 a very long time ago?

Bayern Munich, semi final DFB Pokal - Manual Neuer played. Neuer is the number one.
PSG semi final Coupe de France - Keylor Navas played. Navas is the number one.
and beleive it or not. Manchester City, semi final of the FA Cup - Ederson played. Ederson is the number one.

Not a short memory, just a basic research.

I take it you weren't paying attention the last decade or so. The only time we dropped the cup keeper for the final (Wigan) we lost.

The umpteen other times we repaid faith in the cup keeper (willy, bravo) they've won us games with crucial saves from open play and in penalties.

I take it you haven't been paying attention to the last few years or so.

Muric played in the Third, Fourth, QF and SF of the League Cup in 2018-19 and was dropped for the final.

Don't give me nonsense about him being a kid either. He was the cup goalkeeper and was dropped for the final.

Because you end up with an unmotivated back up who will possibly leave. You then would struggle to bring in a legitimately good back up.

When you are back up to Ederson you will always leave after a year or two, thats the shelf life as you are not going to replace him.

He's paid to do a job and if he gets demotivated then we bring someone else in to replace him for another year or two. We are Manchester City, we will always attract a good back up.

A final is at stake against potential Champions League final opponents, thats the quality of the game. We need our number 1 otherwise what is the point in turning up?

steffen

walker
dias
laporte
cancelo

fernandinho
bernardo
kev

sterling
foden
jesus

gotta get jesus and sterling in form if you are to win three or more trophies. chelsea will rotate their team for sure
Your the first person that has suggested Chelsea will rotate and I agree. They are desperate to get top four spot and like us have a chumps semi. Should they fail to get past Madrid their back up plan has to be chumps qualification with a number of teams fighting for that 3rd or 4th berth. City to win 2 v 1

I can see Laporte, Cancelo, Sterling and Jesus coming in for this one.

I think it might be:

Steffen
Cancelo Dias Laporte Zinchenko
Rodro
De Bruyne Gundogan
Mahrez Jesus Sterling

However, I'd go:

Steffen
Walker Dias Laporte Cancelo
Rodri
Bernado Gundogan
Mahrez De Bruyne Foden

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Sterling starts this one as a show of faith from Pep. Whether that would be the right decision is debatable to say the least but I can certainly see it happening
He should get a start I reckon. Yes he messed up his chance when he came on last night, but he’d had barely any time. Let’s see him start and get his mojo back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.