Chelsea (H) Post Match Thread

I thought we were probably better in the 2nd half. More control, longer periods of possession. More aggressive off the ball. We really toyed with them.
Totally agree, we were clinical in the first half but we didn't actually play that well, KdB and Fernanadhino gave the ball away quite easily at times, and Chelsea got at our defence, with Ederson making one great save and a couple of others too, but we completely bossed the second half.

This game is a bit off.

Chelsea are ill-equipped for Sarri's style of play - immediate high press once the ball turns over and energetic rapid attack once in possession.

I've thought that this Chelsea side would finish out of the top 4 since the beginning of the season.

This game just reinforces my belief.

Sarri is a good manager with a workable, exciting system - but he'll likely be sacked soon.
===
At any rate - we played extremely well, cutting to shreds the poor press attempted by Chelsea and creating numerous scoring opportunities due to Chelsea's lack of adequate pressure on our midfield.

It's about time that we did.

I said yesterday that I still think the team has another gear to shift up through.

I know what you mean. This season we have played well in patches but not many times have we been at our absolute best for 90 minutes, particularly recently. Yesterday we were, just at the right time. We needed it psychologically for the run-in. It feels to me like we are clicking into top gear/form perfectly for a momentous season end. That's why I think we will win the Champions League.

Do you mean the left back , "who shouldn't be in the squad, never mind in the team."

When people post things like that, they must have thick skins to come back on the next match.
Gundogan did ok too, and he has one or two doubter -:)
Without meaning to be overly critical...

Zinchenko dribbled himself into trouble/turnovers on several occasions. He clearly isn't as skilled as the rest of the City players on the pitch. I don't think he'll be with us next season.

Gundo - whom I really like - switched off in the 2nd half - making very poor passes back-to-back leading to turnovers. Gundo needs to up his concentration and play well throughout given how talented our midfield is.

I know what you mean. This season we have played well in patches but not many times have we been at our absolute best for 90 minutes, particularly recently. Yesterday we were, just at the right time. We needed it psychologically for the run-in. It feels to me like we are clicking into top gear/form perfectly for a momentous season end. That's why I think we will win the Champions League.

I'm hoping we will look back and see Newcastle away as a watershed moment.

Things can change quickly in football but our consistency has been pretty exceptional for two full years now. Also, when we have been in the hunt, we have tended to finish the season well so we can have huge grounds for optimism but I try not to look too far beyond the next game; it's a cliche but one that Pep drills into his team, for good reason.

We need Sergio to stay fit because he always seems to need time to get back up to speed after an injury.

Also, and this is another cause for great optimism, we need KDB but find his best form consistently - that alone could be the extra gear.

This game is a bit off.

Chelsea are ill-equipped for Sarri's style of play - immediate high press once the ball turns over and energetic rapid attack once in possession.

I've thought that this Chelsea side would finish out of the top 4 since the beginning of the season.

This game just reinforces my belief.

Sarri is a good manager with a workable, exciting system - but he'll likely be sacked soon.
===
At any rate - we played extremely well, cutting to shreds the poor press attempted by Chelsea and creating numerous scoring opportunities due to Chelsea's lack of adequate pressure on our midfield.

In the first 10 minutes I watched Higuain running around doing a solo press and thought - good luck if you want to do that for 90 mins. He went through the motions for 3/4 of the game and 9 other outfield players were happy to watch him wasting his time. I bet he thought the EPL was a doddle after Huddersfield but I suspect he’s reappraising his views and can’t wait to go back to Italy and play at walking pace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.