Chelsea (H) Post-Match Thread

That’s the team for me.

I would bring Walker and Zin back in, but most importantly we need more zip and steel in midfield. We just don’t have it at the moment and teams like Chelsea are simply running straight through us with speed. As much as I love Merlin, it’s time that Phil transitioned into the team. I thought it made a noticeable difference when he came on because of his ability to press, as well as his willingness to shoot. This also means Fern back in his normal position.

Also I would 100% bring Bernie back in ahead of Mahrez. The latter is just doing it for me defensively re the press. I know that we haven’t seen peak Bernie this season, but he has it in him re defending from the front, whereas Mahrez doesn’t.

We are definitely showing signs of creaking and groaning. It’s a matter of how best to manage that, and to me getting back to what we know best is the answer. Just on another note, Gabby coming in for Kun, plus Phil, would really take us up a notch in terms of the press, and taking the pressure off the other midfielders.
Zinch is out for months

There's a fair bit of comments saying that our press wasn't good in the first half. After watching the game again it looks like the plan for pressing was actually different. Since Jorginho and Kovacic played in a double pivot, we dropped a little further back trying to cover shadow both of them and deny them the ball when they played out from the back. This would let their CB's have more of the ball which could look as if we wen't high pressing well, but their CB's weren't great on the ball and actually played a lot of long balls to Abraham which he won and let them control the ball.
I think Pep knew that if Kovacic and Jorginho had time and space they could play passes thru the middle to hurt us and actually for their goal Kovacic did play a nice ball into Kante. There were also times which we failed to control 2nd ball and at times ball fell in their favor where we won the ball, but failed to control it. All in all I don't have a problem with how we played and I think if anything we need to work on long balls played to center forwards. We don't have Vinny anymore to help us deal with that. Love Dinho, but he's not the biggest.

Maybe there's a bigger part for Dave to play yet is my point. Maybe a crucial goal at a crucial time in a crucial game. Maybe not, but you don't write absolute top class off that easily.

No one's writing him off but his time of being an automatic starter at City is coming to an end and, ideally, I think he should leave just before that happens. He should leave us wanting more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.