Chelsea in talks to leave Stamford Bridge

BlueDejong

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/08/chelsea-leave-stamford-earls-court" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... arls-court</a>

Chelsea in talks to leave Stamford Bridge and move to Earls CourtExclusive: Chelsea FC considering move to site of Earls Court Exhibition Centre – but move could torpedo plans to build 8,000 home complex

Chelsea Football Club are in talks to quit their 105-year old home at Stamford Bridge and build a ground on the site of the soon- to-be-demolished Earls Court exhibition centre to hold at least 60,000 spectators, the Guardian has learned.

The Premier League champions, owned by the Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, are considering a move to the prime west London site just half a mile from their existing home amid growing concern they are losing ground to rivals with bigger and bigger stadiums.

Discussions have been kept secret because the move could torpedo a plan by the leading architect Sir Terry Farrell to transform Earls Court into a new residential enclave with more than 8,000 new homes. The scheme enters the latest phase of public consultation this week and is being undertaken with fellow landowners, Transport for London and the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.

"The discussion is now on again," said a source close to the deal. "It is largely because the owners are progressing alternative uses for the site and there's lots more urgency for Chelsea to make a decision. From Chelsea's point of view this is their last opportunity to get a new ground and stay in the same area they have been in for over a century."

Chelsea flirted with acquiring the same site four years ago but talks came to nothing. Now the site is larger and Chelsea's chairman, Bruce Buck, has been warned the club faces a "deficit" as a result of Stamford Bridge's lack of capacity.

"There have been discussions about it and the club is clearly considering its next step," confirmed a source close to Chelsea, who added that negotiations are at an early stage and no deal has been signed.

The club has met the site's owner, Capital and Counties, in recent months and Chelsea and its advisers are holding "a series of key meetings to decide whether to pursue a bid or not", according to a source close to the talks.

A new stadium would not be ready until 2015 because Earls Court is scheduled to host the 2012 Olympic volleyball competition before the exhibition centre is demolished. After 73 years in which it has hosted gigs by the likes of Led Zeppelin, Oasis and Madonna, its economic viability has been compromised by the establishment of major new concert and conference venues elsewhere in London, including the 02 arena at the Millennium Dome.

Tonight Buck said it was "very difficult for us to make the philosophical decision that we are going to move on", but conceded that the lack of capacity at Stamford Bridge left it out of pocket compared with other clubs.

"Certainly we wouldn't leave west London or thereabouts and there are very few sites available," he said. "We have to do things with our other commercial activities to make up the deficit that is created by the fact we don't have a 60,000 seat stadium. We can't say that we will never move or have a new stadium but at the moment, it's not at the front of our agenda."

However, Chelsea insiders said Buck is keen to boost matchday takings because Uefa is introducing rules limiting the ability of super-rich owners to bankroll clubs without squaring spending with revenues. Despite winning the league last season, the club was only fifth in terms of average attendance in football's top flight behind Manchester United, Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool. Stamford Bridge accommodates around 41,000 fans compared with 76,000 at Manchester United's Old Trafford ground and 60,000 at Arsenal's Emirates stadium.

Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United recently made bids to occupy the 80,000 seat Olympic stadium.

The emergence of Chelsea's renewed interest in Earls Court is awkward for Capital and Counties, which has launched a public charm offensive for its housing project employing Edelman, the international public relations company. It is promoting the "four villages and a high street" vision for the area and declined to comment on negotiations with Chelsea.

"Our vision for Earls Court is for a world class residential-led development delivering thousands of new homes and jobs, and creating a remarkable new place in London," a spokesman said. "As part of that we maintain discussions with a wide range of stakeholders and neighbouring landowners including both local authorities, TfL, the GLA and the local community."

-

His imitation

would they fill 60,000 week-in, week out? Not at their current ticket prices I don't think. Maybe if they got a lot of daytrippers/tourists - as they are pretty big on the continent now.

I've no doubt they'd fill it in the big games but against the likes of Wigan and Bolton etc not so sure.

southern muppet said:
would they fill 60,000 week-in, week out? Not at their current ticket prices I don't think. Maybe if they got a lot of daytrippers/tourists - as they are pretty big on the continent now.

I've no doubt they'd fill it in the big games but against the likes of Wigan and Bolton etc not so sure.

Lancashire mill-town teams' fans won't travel to London and pay fancy-dan prices. Sixty thousand seater stadia offer summat like seven or eight thousand in the away end - Wigan will never take that many unless it's at Wembley and it's the Cup Final.

But if yer gonna make in-roads financially and avoid the Platini economics course, yer 'aff t'ave at least a sixty-thousand stadium. MANUre and The Arse are the only teams who bring in money on the gate that makes a significant contribution to income. Hence, Spuds, The Dippers are desperate for their own version of The Swamp. And it has, of course, got to be local. Not many fans would be happy to shift a few miles away, out of the historical homeland!

I wonder if twatinni had this in mind when he came up with his 'fair play' rules?

Seems you'll have to generate huge revenues from big stadiums, charging London prices, so you can employ the big name players that will get you into a chumps league place. The rest of football will just look on, unable to bust through the glass ceiling they are putting in place.

I just posted this on a similar thread on one of the Spurs forums I am on..... you would have thought the journalist would have done some research......

The club have one massive problem about redeveloping Stamford Bridge...

The do not own the land or the freehold the pitch is on..... love him or hate him, Ken Bates left safeguarding the club from selling the land to developers....

He loaned money to a group of fans to set up an organisation called the CPO (Chelsea Pitch Owners).... they bought the freehold of the land with the money, and for £100 fans can buy a "share"..... they have around 15,000 shareholders and have repaid the loan to Ken Bates.....

Therefore it is not Roman's or Chelsea FC's to sell or redevelop..... and I would guess it would cost a fortune to buy.....

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.chelseafc.com/page/ChelseaPitchOwnersDetails/0,,10268~1330733,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.chelseafc.com/page/ChelseaPi ... 33,00.html</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pitch_Owners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pitch_Owners</a>

8000 homes at an average of a very conservative £200k = £1,600,000,000

Could Abramovich put together a plan which would beat the profit from all those homes?

I guess they could do something akin to Arsenal and build homes on the old site but still that's a hell of a lot of money!

Edit just seen your post above markspurs, if that's the case surely the figures are impossible

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Lancashire mill-town teams' fans won't travel to London and pay fancy-dan prices. Sixty thousand seater stadia offer summat like seven or eight thousand in the away end - Wigan will never take that many unless it's at Wembley and it's the Cup Final.

I don't know where you get that from, United holds 75,000 and they give away 3,000. Arsenal holds 60,000 and they offer 3,000.

Arsenal have no problem filling their stadium. They even sell out 60,000 for Carling Cup games.

Chelsea similarly sell out for Carling Cup games suggesting that there are a lot of people waiting to fill the seats of those supporters who can't be arsed on such occasions.

I would suggest they would have very little problem in filling a new 60,000 stadium although the chances of it happening are slim.

DD said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:

I don't know where you get that from, United holds 75,000 and they give away 3,000. Arsenal holds 60,000 and they offer 3,000.

Arsenal have no problem filling their stadium. They even sell out 60,000 for Carling Cup games.

Chelsea similarly sell out for Carling Cup games suggesting that there are a lot of people waiting to fill the seats of those supporters who can't be arsed on such occasions.

I would suggest they would have very little problem in filling a new 60,000 stadium although the chances of it happening are slim.

Every single CL game Chelsea have played at home in the group stages for the past 5 years they have advertised tickets available in the London Evening Standard for a few days prior to the games.....

They do not sell out for cup matches very often, in fact all their CL home games bar one last season had less than 40,000 (the capacity of Stamford Bridge is 41,900)......

Here are the last 2 seasons attendances for CL games at Stamford Bridge:

Bordeaux: 39.365
AS Roma: 41,002
CFR Cluj: 41,060
Juventus: 38,079
Liverpool: 38,286
Barcelona: 37,857

FC Porto: 39,346
Ath Madrid: 39,997
Ap Nicosia: 40,917
Inter Milan: 38,107

Capacity for CL games at Stamford Bridge is not reduced, some stadia have to reduce capacity because of the height of the advertising hoardings (they are higher than the standard ones you get for PL games and therefore some grounds the first couple of rows are set too low down to be able to see properly)......

So 10 CL games and not one sell out, and just 3 over 40k......

marcspurs said:
DD said:

Every single CL game Chelsea have played at home in the group stages for the past 5 years they have advertised tickets available in the London Evening Standard for a few days prior to the games.....

They do not sell out for cup matches very often, in fact all their CL home games bar one last season had less than 40,000 (the capacity of Stamford Bridge is 41,900)......

Here are the last 2 seasons attendances for CL games at Stamford Bridge:

Bordeaux: 39.365
AS Roma: 41,002
CFR Cluj: 41,060
Juventus: 38,079
Liverpool: 38,286
Barcelona: 37,857

FC Porto: 39,346
Ath Madrid: 39,997
Ap Nicosia: 40,917
Inter Milan: 38,107

Capacity for CL games at Stamford Bridge is not reduced, some stadia have to reduce capacity because of the height of the advertising hoardings (they are higher than the standard ones you get for PL games and therefore some grounds the first couple of rows are set too low down to be able to see properly)......

So 10 CL games and not one sell out, and just 3 over 40k......

To be fair I think we would have similar gates in Europe. When the big games come along this is where you sell out and make more money

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.