Chelsea thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't have players to Chelsea to play his way.Need overhaul,a lot of spending which I guess owner be sanctioned bcoz of Stadium stuff and by the time he gets close to implementation,he will be sacked.
And he is definitely a level or 2 inferior 2 Pep with no disrespect

Every manager/coach is inferior to Pep.

Although I expect Sarri to turn up at Chelsea, it’ll be interesting to see whether the Zenit rumour has any legs before discussing it too heavily.

wow, sacked. Thats crazy. If I was Everton I'd be all over this guy but he's probably already agreed to go to chelsea.

Although I expect Sarri to turn up at Chelsea, it’ll be interesting to see whether the Zenit rumour has any legs before discussing it too heavily.

Zenit definitely want him and Russian sources are claiming they've offered him a big salary, but he's unconvinced. They want him to come over to look at the facilities, which are impressive, and the city (I'm biased as it's my adopted home, but I think it's fantastic - the entire city centre is a world heritage site). My feeling is that he'll go to Chelsea if he's offered the job and he regards Zenit as a backup option.

EDIT - Just digging around on Twitter, some Italian sources are saying Sarri has rejected Zeni, but others - Di Marzio included - say they're still in contention, even if his preference would be Chelsea.

Last edited:
Definitely a strange one but unsurprising considering De Laurentiis has a history of attention seeking & off-the cuff decision making.

He initially didn't agree with Sarri's request of a bigger transfer budget this summer, but I doubt Ancelotti will be any cheaper with his wage demands & requested players that are currently Vidal & Di Maria.

De Laurentiis could have back Sarri which I think would have been cheaper in the long run & play attractive football which would have eventually won trophies which he craves. But he went down the easy route with a more pragmatic manager who probably will win Napoli a trophy or 2 with investment which I think would have been more sustainable with Sarri since Ancelotti will inevitable leave in the short-term as per his historical managerial career suggests.

On the other hand Sarri to Chelsea in my opinion is a bad fit. Its a club that historically demands instant success & even if you do you still get sacked. As someone mentioned earlier, to go from a rather defensive Conte team playing mindset to Sarri's possession based football will take time. Furthermore, Sarri just like any manager has flaws with the biggest one his lack of squad rotation & man management skills with players outside his preferred 11. A good example of this was last Sunday in the last game of the season with a meaningless match he didn't bother to put on even for a few minutes Christian Maggio a club stalwart in his last season for Napoli who had been at the club for around 10 years totaling 233 games. Its also the reason why Napoli burnt out during the scudetto run where he constantly played his best 11 all season even against lower league clubs which if appointed he won't get away with at Chelsea.

Regardless of this, he brought joy to his refreshing approach on how to play attractive football in Italy which has been crying out for a remodel on a national level for ages. However, will he change his stubborn ways, I'm not so sure & time is not on his side since he's entered football managerial status relatively late in his life approaching 60.
Towards the end of the season with Napoli and Juve vying for Serie A, Napoli beat Juve away, Inter then 2-1 up v Juve in the next match with three mins to go having been down to 10 men for 70 minutes, Juve score twice to win it (great game), Napoli still had a good chance to win the league but bottled it losing 3-0 at Fiorentina and drawing with Torino at home. As you say probably down to burn out, lack of a plan B and a really rigid playing formation. It was a shame they didn't win it, shows how good our CL performance was against them.

De Laurentis is worse than Abramovich for sacking managers.

Not really. Sarri was definitely leaving Napoli, he was just waiting for his release clause to expire at the end of the month, so De Laurentis got Ancelotti before anyone else could. I don't see why he should have to wait for Sarri to leave when everyone knew it was coming anyway.

Then before that, Benitez left to go to Real, and before that Mazzari was there for 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.