Chelsea Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuchel is a manager that likes to tailor his approach based on the opponent, but yeah, generally speaking Chelsea do play nice attacking football under Tuchel.

Im not sure your premise is correct. I’ve seen more than my share of Chelsea games recently, and he plays 1 of 2 ways:

5-2-2-1 or 5-3-2

Spurs First Half: 5-2-2-1, no joy
Spurs Sec Half: 5-3-2, dominated

Next game, City.

Played Spurs Second Half until 60 mins, then Spurs First Half for 10 mins, then doubled down on Spurs First Half with RLC coming on to leave just 1 DM.

The problem he faced at Spurs was that NES dominated the midfield, which led to little action for his front 3 (2-1). He then set out to dominate the midfield, got hold of it, then released Kante to play double duty, as RM and the right sided inside forward.

Today, we didn’t allow your midfield 3 any time on the ball, and when the ball was coming out from your back 5, it was often a poor quality ball because it was played under pressure from our front 3/4.

One of the problems we face with the high press is that we commit FOUR players to it, so it has to be pretty good at creating a poor ball forward, or we can get caught a man short in midfield. Today, Rodri and Bernardo covered the middle zonally, with the CBs coming forward onto the ball to snuff out even the long balls up the middle. Another thing that helped was our FBs didn’t play as RM/LM too often.

Yes, Lukaku is a handful and will score a hatful this season, so he takes some manhandling, and both CBs got a yellow for fouls on him. But, he had the least touches of any player on the park today! 21 touches in 90 minutes, or less than 1 touch every FOUR minutes. Considering some of those occasions were multiple touches, it means he wasn’t even touching ball for periods of 5-10 minutes.

I called it a Total Football performance from City today and I think even the most casual observer would have said the scoreline flattered Chelsea. I don’t know what the xG numbers were today, but even 3-0 would have been more than fair today.

Tuchel is a good coach and he has an excellent squad of players to play the two formations he prefers. I think the only negative is that I think you only have a 16 man team at most, whereas I think City are more of a 20 man team.

Hopefully, that will keep us fresh and on our toes, because we played ONE GAME LESS than the maximum possible last season, with only the FA Cup Final eluding us! Thankfully, like Chelsea, we have an outstanding cadre of Academy talent knocking on the door looking for a Cup opportunity, and possibly even a few PL cameos. That bodes well for both teams!

We could be going at this for quite a few seasons to come, as I think the current Top 4 will continue to pull away from the satellite teams (Spurs, Arsenal, Everton, West Ham, Leicester).

Accordingly, I look forward to many more ding dong battles with Chelsea. Too bad I hate a few of your players (Azpi, Rudi & Jorgi) with a passion! Dirty, sly, cheating little fuckers, all three of them!

It’s going to be a long, interesting season!

Hey, he rolled Laporte and Dias pretty sweetly when he got the chance. Earned them a yellow card each :)
I’m not sure that was the reason you paid £97.5M for him, but, yes, he is a big unit that can handle himself with his back to goal.

Im not sure your premise is correct. I’ve seen more than my share of Chelsea games recently, and he plays 1 of 2 ways:

5-2-2-1 or 5-3-2

Spurs First Half: 5-2-2-1, no joy
Spurs Sec Half: 5-3-2, dominated

Next game, City.

Played Spurs Second Half until 60 mins, then Spurs First Half for 10 mins, then doubled down on Spurs First Half with RLC coming on to leave just 1 DM.

The problem he faced at Spurs was that NES dominated the midfield, which led to little action for his front 3 (2-1). He then set out to dominate the midfield, got hold of it, then released Kante to play double duty, as RM and the right sided inside forward.

Today, we didn’t allow your midfield 3 any time on the ball, and when the ball was coming out from your back 5, it was often a poor quality ball because it was played under pressure from our front 3/4.

One of the problems we face with the high press is that we commit FOUR players to it, so it has to be pretty good at creating a poor ball forward, or we can get caught a man short in midfield. Today, Rodri and Bernardo covered the middle zonally, with the CBs coming forward onto the ball to snuff out even the long balls up the middle. Another thing that helped was our FBs didn’t play as RM/LM too often.

Yes, Lukaku is a handful and will score a hatful this season, so he takes some manhandling, and both CBs got a yellow for fouls on him. But, he had the least touches of any player on the park today! 21 touches in 90 minutes, or less than 1 touch every FOUR minutes. Considering some of those occasions were multiple touches, it means he wasn’t even touching ball for periods of 5-10 minutes.

I called it a Total Football performance from City today and I think even the most casual observer would have said the scoreline flattered Chelsea. I don’t know what the xG numbers were today, but even 3-0 would have been more than fair today.

Tuchel is a good coach and he has an excellent squad of players to play the two formations he prefers. I think the only negative is that I think you only have a 16 man team at most, whereas I think City are more of a 20 man team.

Hopefully, that will keep us fresh and on our toes, because we played ONE GAME LESS than the maximum possible last season, with only the FA Cup Final eluding us! Thankfully, like Chelsea, we have an outstanding cadre of Academy talent knocking on the door looking for a Cup opportunity, and possibly even a few PL cameos. That bodes well for both teams!

We could be going at this for quite a few seasons to come, as I think the current Top 4 will continue to pull away from the satellite teams (Spurs, Arsenal, Everton, West Ham, Leicester).

Accordingly, I look forward to many more ding dong battles with Chelsea. Too bad I hate a few of your players (Azpi, Rudi & Jorgi) with a passion! Dirty, sly, cheating little fuckers, all three of them!

It’s going to be a long, interesting season!
Top post mate.

Was a bizarre last 20 minutes. Felt in control and restricting chances, whilst simultaneously feeling like we were hanging on

Waiting for Typical City to show up?

Like the fella in the 93:20 video, I used to be 6’2” with long curly hair and look what they’ve done to me!!!

Not far off mate.

They were fucking petrified and as the supposed best team in Europe that cannot be a credit.
They weren’t “petrified!”

They were forced back on their heels by a City press that overpowered them, which led to needing to defend more than normal.

I’m as high as a kite about the game, but let’s not create negative narratives about the opposition when it was a positive narrative for City that created their need to collapse their formation to defend.

We were by far the better team today.
I don’t get why you want to diminish them as a team though. They are very good. We saw that three times last year including the most important single game of the season.
I take your point in that they are very good at what they do, but those three games last season where as much to do with our team selections as anything Chelsea did. We put ourselves at a disadvantage in every game

I take your point in that they are very good at what they do, but those three games last season where as much to do with our team selections as anything Chelsea did. We put ourselves at a disadvantage in every game
Well there is a debate as to how much we contributed to our loss vs how well they played. I am not in the camp that we lost the CL because of Pep.

Well there is a debate as to how much we contributed to our loss vs how well they played. I am not in the camp that we lost the CL because of Pep.
There can never be a definitive answer to that as we'll never know. The other two games however we certainly played weakened teams and as for the Final, well I'm the camp that says we were weakened by virtue of not playing a defensive midfielder. Like I said, I do think they're good at what they do, but it's telling that when we play a full strength side we were much, much better than them in their own back yard.

Why do they Boo Grealish's every touch?
Screen-Shot-2015-04-14-at-01.07.18.png

Do they think multi-million-pound transfer deals destroy the very fabric of English professional football????
I think they only started booing him after James injured himself, while trying to tackle Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.