Cheltenham Town (A) | Post-Match Thread

Thing is, Pep has handled him brilliantly.

There is a standard he requires, there is a standard he can accept, then there is a standard he reserves for only those players he knows cannot be sold short.

When you have worked with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, Pep knows when your natural ability is from a different sphere.

Txiki worded him up, Pep was able to recognise it, but Foden is so lucky to have a manager who doesn't suffer fools, who knows what it takes to take the greats to the top.

Phil can be a true great. One day we could be speaking about a generational talent who can win England another World Cup and City a couple of Champions League titles.

And all from a skinny lad from Stockport who just wanted to play for City.

He can live out the dreams of thousands of Blues.

Stay away from the birds and booze, get yourself some proper Italian suits, ditch that horrendous wardrobe of scally shite and everything else will take care of itself.

Also just shows how piss poor the pundits and press/media are in this country. To a man they all thought Phil should have gone out on load to get kicked from pillar to post. Or he should be playing more , said by ex pros who's career was cut short from being played to much, when their young bodies werent ready. Rodney, Owen, Micah to name a few

I am only a City fan who played abit just above pub level. But I could see it must be better for a kid to learn his trade from Merlin, Aguero, Kompany, Fernandinho, Yaya, plus the best manager in the world. Not the British press/media thou !

Spot on mate, but I think in ten years time there will be a consensus he is City's greatest-ever player and an England great.

I've been very lucky down the years with my job to have watched some of the greatest players live.

His feet don't even look like they touch the floor.

The biggest thing to note in recent months is his increased upper body strength, he is a strong little bastard and very wiry.

Phil no longer looks like the kid who is undoubtedly talented but just being given a game, he is already leaving some of his more experienced team-mates behind, and I include Sterling and Jesus in that, when it comes to fundamental importance to how this team is now set up.
The physical development is noticeable, and added to his amazing natural balance means he has a happy knack of bouncing off opponents who try to foul him.
It is also realy noticeable how often he tries to stay on his feet when fouled. He plays with the joy of a street footballer who just wants to keep the ball and get on with it

I've been saying it for quite a while and it was a surprise to hear Shearer also make the comparison.

Foden is the closest thing I have seen to Gascoigne in any player.

Both had incredible natural talent, glided either way past players, received the ball on the half turn, although Phil has a keener eye for goal inside the penalty box.

Coupled without the demons and fitness issues Gazza always had, that makes Phil destined for a small group of players confined to maybe four or five in the world in the years to come.

He's blooming and you can see it coursing through his veins. There was one guy on that pitch for us yesterday who refused to accept us being knocked out.
That last sentence makes me proud to be a blue. He fights for the club the way we all would given the chance.

Thing is, Pep has handled him brilliantly.

There is a standard he requires, there is a standard he can accept, then there is a standard he reserves for only those players he knows cannot be sold short.

When you have worked with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, Pep knows when your natural ability is from a different sphere.

Txiki worded him up, Pep was able to recognise it, but Foden is so lucky to have a manager who doesn't suffer fools, who knows what it takes to take the greats to the top.

Phil can be a true great. One day we could be speaking about a generational talent who can win England another World Cup and City a couple of Champions League titles.

And all from a skinny lad from Stockport who just wanted to play for City.

He can live out the dreams of thousands of Blues.

Stay away from the birds and booze, get yourself some proper Italian suits, ditch that horrendous wardrobe of scally shite and everything else will take care of itself.
Phil the viking destoryer ;)

That was a cracking cup game. You have to applaud Cheltenham, they can play football and were a match for us in the first 75 mins, but the substitutions changed the game and class told in the end. You can get a feeling about a club and how they go about their business......Cheltenham seem very well run. Sometimes you see chairmen of clubs who are basically 'wideboys', but their chairman has clear passion for what he is trying to do and the manager was very articulate, very measured and his team play the right way. I hope they get promoted, on and off the pitch they look good.

Phil Foden ....a shining light. For someone so young to have the skill and vision and take a game by the scruff of the neck like he did, his manager should be very proud. Special shout to Fernandinho, he kept us ticking over and we needed his experience driving us forward. Good to see Laporte back even if a bit rusty, young Doyle definitely has it....he just needs time and more experience. And whatever Gundogan has at the minute, bottle it as he's in imperious form as well. Cancelo only had a 15 min cameo but what an important contribution he made.

A game where, on the number of chances and the possession, we deserved to win.....but if we had lost by that single goal you couldn't really have complained. Onwards.

I know exactly what you mean. It shows that we know how to dig in, that we've got some fire in our bellies (well, most of the players), that we hate to lose. It augurs well for the coming weeks.

yep
easy could have just rolled over and moved on ? but this city squad and pep don't like losing anything and want to progress in everything possible. but pep maybe did gamble on the starting line up and one or two players let him down and did not fancy a fight. the changes did help but also the cheltenham players was gone after 80 minutes and once city scored it was game over

The physical development is noticeable, and added to his amazing natural balance means he has a happy knack of bouncing off opponents who try to foul him.
It is also realy noticeable how often he tries to stay on his feet when fouled. He plays with the joy of a street footballer who just wants to keep the ball and get on with it
Many years ago Paul Lake came to our club and mentioned that City had an excellent young prospect from Stockport who they were nuturing carefully. He wouldn't give his name as he was only 13 and quite small and they were bringing him on at the right speed for the right reasons.
Lakey was dead right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.