Chiellini

Wasn't he the one moaning about Guardiola ruining defending in Italy, also saw quotes of him mocking Napoli for not winning Serie A, seems to talk a lot of rubbish.

I get it, but at the same time Pep really wanted Bonucci who isn't much younger and I always thought Chiellini made him look better than he is.
Yo are right Cheillini made Bonnucci look good. Juventuss as a whole made the parts look better. Same can be said of our players. The system makes them all look better.

But No! Old and slow. Not to mention we have 4 defenders at the position.

Absolutely not! He'd get murdered in a back 2 in the prem and why on earth do we need another centre back??

He said not long ago:

“We Italians are always criticising ourselves. The idea that we do not play with the ball enough – that we always think about defending first – became a big topic, and so you had this project of Spanish-isation. Guardiola-isation. Suddenly we have little boys playing the ball out from the keeper, zonal marking, football the way Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona played.

“And the truth is that, playing like this, we lost a few characteristics that have always made Italy great. Man‑marking, the ability to win one‑on‑one challenges. Characteristics that have, down the years, allowed us to produce some great defenders. I think that now people have understood this again, and we are trying to find a compromise. To get better at some things we were closed to, mentally, but without losing the good things that history had given us.”

Basically he isn't a huge fan of the way defending has become more about ball playing and less about crunching tackles. Its open to interpretation but I think he's just trying to be diplomatic. I doubt we, or him for that matter, have any interest in working together.

Doesn't suit us but if we just needed cover for a year, sure. We don't though. We have 4 better centre backs as it is and no signs of any of them leaving plus others who can fill the role if necessary.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.