Child with suspected autism

Hi, yeah he's a great doc. The school our little girl is in has an in-house special educational needs department who were great in arranging additional funds - involved several external assessments whilst in school and us parents attending a few planning sessions with the school and council - in the end they secured funding for additional help in the class room in the form of an additional teaching assistant. That was in reception, she's just started year 1 and is coming on well. The school also helped by putting in place visual aids to help her understand or remind what the plan is that day or week plus things like ensuring she had the same spot on the mat during registration - little things really but they all helped.

When going out socially we plan things in advance and let her know what is going on and when. When we're out we look for signs if she's getting anxious and help her by trying to talk things through - as she's a little older now we don't see as many meltdowns anymore.
I have just checked and there seems to be a SENDCo at the school she would be going to, as her sister goes there too, so hopefully they can help too. I helped the nursery she's at now fill in a long form where they were going to apply for additional funding for an extra teaching assistant, but the Portage lady has been to see them and advised she's happy for them to get the extra funding but doesn't want them to have the assistant following our daughter ever as she needs to learn independence. I think they already use some visual aids as well so it looks like we are going in the right direction. Have you found your girl has picked up a lot from school then?

Our daughter doesn't understand so much yet, she's only 3, so it's difficult to explain to her what we're doing and talk her through things, we end up just having to distract her with nursery rhymes or something. Hopefully she'll improve like yours has in the next 2 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.