Chimney breast/party wall

That was my first thought. Not a chance in hell I would let him do it.

You can’t prevent someone from carrying out the work, you can only insist a building surveyor is appointed to oversee the work and that it is done correctly.

The neighbour needs to serve a section 3 party wall notice on this. If it is agreed the work can go ahead at this point, the work can go ahead immediately.

If the other person doesn’t agree the work can go ahead, a surveyor will be appointed at the cost of the person carrying out the work. Also, a period of two months must pass between serving the notice and the work being carried out. There are two options - appoint one surveyor to act for both parties involved. Or appoint two surveyors, one for each party. Again all the costs will be paid by the person carrying out the work.

But the work will eventually be done

You can’t prevent someone from carrying out the work, you can only insist a building surveyor is appointed to oversee the work and that it is done correctly.

The neighbour needs to serve a section 3 party wall notice on this. If it is agreed the work can go ahead at this point, the work can go ahead immediately.

If the other person doesn’t agree the work can go ahead, a surveyor will be appointed at the cost of the person carrying out the work. Also, a period of two months must pass between serving the notice and the work being carried out. There are two options - appoint one surveyor to act for both parties involved. Or appoint two surveyors, one for each party. Again all the costs will be paid by the person carrying out the work.

But the work will eventually be done

I would think if you were using the chimney that you could prevent the work being carried out.

I would think if you were using the chimney that you could prevent the work being carried out.

The chimney isn’t fully removed, in that case. The stack above the roof is retained, plus a small section under the roof which then sits on brackets.

If neither side of the chimney is being used then whole stack above the roof can be removed and the tiled over.

Get good advice from an expert before anything starts. We had all sorts of problems with next door’s ignorance regarding the party wall. It ended up in court. We won etc but it was very stressful.

Get good advice from an expert before anything starts. We had all sorts of problems with next door’s ignorance regarding the party wall. It ended up in court. We won etc but it was very stressful.

You can call RICS and get a 30min free consultation with a chartered surveyor if required.

It can be cheaper for people to extend on what they have as opposed to buying elsewhere. They didn’t serve written notice against us and it escalated from there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.