Chinese OSCs inc. Shenzhen Blues + Sun Jihai + China tours

acton28.blog

Team supported
CITY/Aberystwyth Town
Anyone going to Nanjing and Shanghai in July?

17th is the first game (a semi) followed by the final or third placed play off for the PL Asia Trophy

plat-global.ashx

Nanjing’s Olympic Sports Centre 17/7/19 v NUFC or WHU or Wolves

Shanghai’s Hongkou Stadium 20/7/19 v NUFC or WHU or Wolves

https://xw.qq.com/sports/20190326003853/SPO2019032600385300

Premier League to boost Chinese fanbase.
"Since 2007, Premier Skills, a joint-programme between the Premier League and the British Council, has reached more than one million young people and trained more than 5,000 coaches and referees in 23 cities across China."

Affordable tickets promised
"Ticket prices and on-sale dates will be announced shortly and the Premier League will continue its commitment to ensuring fans can attend matches at affordable prices."

PPTV to be exclusive broadcaster?

Then City jet to:

Kitchee vs Man City, 24/7/2019, Hong KOng Stadium

mc_facebook_18042019_1200x900-01.jpg

JAPAN - Nissan Stadium 27/7/19 v Yokohama Mariners

Last edited:
The problem in China is the same one as America. As long as football isn't the number one sport, they're never going to be producing the quality of players that Europe/South America/Africa do. Football is the most competitive sport in the world, so to be successful, you need all of the sporty kids in schools to want to play football. In China, I suspect that football is left to the few that are really into it, whereas the most talented kids will go onto something like badminton or table tennis. And I can't see the Chinese government being too keen on promoting a sport as competitive as football, when they can get loads of Olympic medals by simply pumping loads of money into more niche sports. I honestly think somewhere like the Middle East would be a more fruitful area for us. But China would fit in with our strategy of investing in countries where the sport isn't actually that big (presumably more potential for growth there). I not sure how likely the investments in the US and Australia are to deliver any Premier League quality players though. I don't know if that's even an aim.

-- Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:58 pm --

Zubrman said:
I like the idea of Ho Chi Minh City FC.
Ho Chi Man City?

What you describe is very different to the part of China I visit (Dalian). There is a strong following there and I do see Premier league shirts out and about, even old City shirts from the Sun Ji Hai era as it is his home town.

It is possible to get a lot of games live on satellite TV, I had a chat with a guy I know who runs a bar in Dalian and he told me that it can be difficult to get the channels although I did find a supplier setting up a system in another bar. I was planning on setting up a sports bar over there but I've had to put that on hold for a while.

If you get to Beijing you'll find there are plenty of bars around with satellite TV showing live football so it is possible.

I was in Shenzen for a few days while I had to do a visa renewal across to Hong Kong, there are sports bars in Shenzen as well but it is a bit more cosmopolitan being the home of Huawei and ZTE.

Good luck with your time in China, I'd love to get over there again but I doubt that it will be this year.

I've been living in China (Shanghai) for 4 years and I cant agree with the OP that football isnt big here. When I talk to Chinese work colleagues they are extremely knowledgable about the Premier League and follow it fanatically. TV coverage varies (maybe because the Premier League want so much for the rights nowadays) but social media (PPTV and Tencent) show live games legally every weekend. I see cars everyday with EPL stickers; mainly Scum/Arsenal/Liverpool, but a couple of ours nowadays. Fake replica shirts and other merchandise everywhere. The infrastructure to play the game is a bit weak, but due mainly to the scarcity of pitches where I live. I run an amateur expats team, and we have a long line of Chinese teams wanting to join the league.
By the way, if you want to be sure of seeing City every weekend Dish TV satellite has all EPL games live (8 parallel channels when needed) with English commentary.

Bumped into Sun Jihai in a restaurant in Shangha a few years ago - still a lovely guy and still loves City

One of the major problems with football in China is that the PL keeps selling its TV rights to a pay-to-view channel with a viewership of only 10,000 whereas everywhere else outside of the UK is on free-to-air so everyone and their mums are watching. Consequently they get very little exposure to the PL.

Also, it was notable that when we bought Melbourne Heart, Soriano said that one of the reasons they moved into the Australian league was its lack of corruption, so I'm not sure if buying a club there would appeal.

Isnt it the case that football in China is largely played by the privileged?

Get an academy set up in any number of large cities in China and get the masses playing and I'm sure you'll end up with some decent footballers out of it.

I've got family that used to live in Ningbo, always struggled to see any football on domestic TV and there werent too many satellite dishes. Probably changed a bit now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.