Chinese Consortium invests $400m in CFG

My cousin is a mad blue and soldier. He tells a great tale about operating as a sniper in a warzone, might have been Bosnia. He tells the tale that he was scanning the area, saw a bloke in a United shirt and pulled the trigger. I'm sure it's just a story, but it's a funny one (unless you're family of the Gloryhunter getting put in the body bag).
Did he get a medal?

Arsenal shirts seem the thrive in areas of natural disaster

We've had the usual reaction from fans of the real English "big clubs" and "global brands". They're not worried because City can't sell out for their home matches and are only a little "plastic club" who can't generate their own revenue but rely on handouts from a sugar daddy. We've had the slightly less crude reaction from some pundits who are afraid that the Chinese are buying us Guardiola, Neymar and Messi because the Sheikh can't afford them and we have City fans on here who are gearful that this will change the PL and the very nature of our club. We can't go to PL matches played in China!

I'm actually still stunned by this deal. Not for any of the reasons I've just mentioned. I'm actually stunned by the scale. Virtually every decision taken at City since September 2008 has taken me completely unawares and I have come to realize that it's because I don't see things from the same viewpoint as the Sheikh and Khaldoon. I am not even a pygmy and they are giants striding through business (and politics) on a global scale. I suspect that without this global view it is impossible to grasp the seismic importance of the agreement.

Our rivals have in fact had little success in China. No doubt some players are popular on a personal level, but Chinese fans tend to support Chinese teams. There is a growing interest in PL football but , apart from, the TV revenues it doesn't do our clubs much good. Gill et al scratch their heads and wonder how to "crack" the Chinese "market" without realising that this is the problem. The Chinese do not wish to be "cracked" in the way English supporters of United, Liverpool and Arsenal have been "cracked" - sold ludicrously expensive tickets, hounded to buy expensive shirts etc by clubs that then clear off to take their tat to the next bunch of suckers. Cracking the Chinese market appears to mean ripping off the Chinese.

City don't operate like that. The Chinese have bought in to the CFG, not Manchester City FC and the CFG will present itself, as everywhere, in very local terms. Manchester City is a global presence, but is more identifiably Mancunian than ever. City really are becoming "more than a club"! The CFG will rip no-one off. This agreement is a genuine partnership: the Chinese have their own ambitions as does the CFG and there is no conflict between them. Instead of being asked to make charitable donations to the coffers of distant "brands" the CFG will be helping the Chinese achieve what they want. Football will benefit and so will every part of the CFG. And as the club pointed out - this is just the beginning! My difficulty is that I have only a dim view of what exactly is beginning. But the Sheikh knows, and that's good enough for me.

I'm a coach of a boy's team now so have a decent handle. It's not 75%. Totalyl off the top of my head in the younger age groups, Barcelona shirts are the most popular, followed by the local club Huddersfield Town, City, United and Liverpool in about equal numbers. When you get to the older age groups there are many fewer Barca and City.

the City merchandise is very noticable in the 10 and unders age group i would say, and also Barcelona i have to admit, due to the Messi factor. almost every kid wearing a barca top has messi on the back of it, and even by son wears messi boots and trainers! (oh the shame)

The next 20 years (if we are still successful) will see a humongous increase in city supporters, so that will help us fill the stadium ;-)

You know when Khaldoon spoke of stages one, two and three

Where are we, is this the start of stage two or three?
I have been thinking about where all this actually ends. What is the end goal of the master plan the Sheik has devised? We seem to have "taken" China, getting maximum exposure from our new partner. I am sure this will bring new fans, new sponsors and revenue. It would be logical that a Chinese club becomes part of the CFG. But somehow I have the feeling I am being much to small minded, seeing the scale of the CFG-China partnership. There will be one or more next steps in the plan, and they will be of equal magnitude I think. So what do you guys think? Is the plan to create an own super-leaugue outside of the current leagues?

I must admit I feel like I don't know what I'm clapping about with all this most of the time.

I get that it is the CFG that the Chinese have bought 13% of, I get that the funds still go to the CFG group and not one club, I get the new board member will have no influence on MCFC.
But I don't get how we suddenly have an extra 200m fans!
I dont get how we even "potentially" have these people as fans!
I don't get how it all links together.
I imagine City will set up some ground roots football academy's in Asia.. But are people really dumb enough to think "oh I like that company and they have a share in MCFC, I think I'm going to support them and buy all their products".

Or am I missing something?

I must admit I feel like I don't know what I'm clapping about with all this most of the time.

I get that it is the CFG that the Chinese have bought 13% of, I get that the funds still go to the CFG group and not one club, I get the new board member will have no influence on MCFC.
But I don't get how we suddenly have an extra 200m fans!
I dont get how we even "potentially" have these people as fans!
I don't get how it all links together.
I imagine City will set up some ground roots football academy's in Asia.. But are people really dumb enough to think "oh I like that company and they have a share in MCFC, I think I'm going to support them and buy all their products".

Or am I missing something?

I think where us City fans will benefit directly is that the Chinese media company will promote MCFC to the 7 billion Chinese public, which in turn opens new and vastly increased revenue streams via sponsorship/club partners, which in turn means more cash for the world's best players

Really thrilled and excited about this development - what also gives me great satisfaction is ABSOLUTELY NOBODY SAW IT COMING - six months of negotiations hahahahahaha - love it! That in itself speaks volumes about our owner(s).

I met a colleague in London yesterday who I hadn't spoke to for a good while. We used to talk football a lot. He's a Spurs fan, from a long line of Spurs or United fans.

With a heavy heart, he told me that his Nephew (8 years old), has rocked the family by requesting a city kit for Christmas. He actually requested it from his Utd supporting grandad. They asked why, and the boy told them that's who he likes to watch and wants to play like!!! After trying to talk him round, In fairness they've agreed he isn't for turning, and so it's just the mechanics of the purchase to sort out. I.e. They're arguing about who walks in the shop to buy it. I think the smile on my face as he was telling the story told him my thoughts on the situation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.