Chinese Consortium invests $400m in CFG

Good posts on here...!! I work for one of the big Logistics companies. Deal with China everyday. To do business there can be fairly complex with various Licences, permits required to even function. However, to achieve some of these, you have to be of Chinese origin. And even then can be difficult to obtain. this partnership doesn't just give us access to significant players in the Chinese market, it is state backed to boot. Forget shirt sales abroad or amount of Twitter followers claimed to be had. This doesn't drive real revenue growth (2 or 3% of total revenue at the Rags I believe). This as others have said is about commercial deals, sponsorship, TV subscriptions. All these will dwarf the old school streams such as ticket sales, shirts, or even corporate. Expect a club in China (Shanghai) next then possibly Africa. S.America may prove more difficult! The next round of deals should go through the roof compared to the previous ones. And that's with China in its infancy. Imagine 5, 10 years down the line as that market matures!!
Stop it I am getting over excited

What I like most is that our owners keep blindsiding everybody. The academy, the investment in East M/c, the CFG and now this. Everything done with a purpose by consummate businessmen.

"Not in my lifetime" sums up the rag mentality to a tee. Let them continue with their cheap jibes. By the time they wake up to what is happening, CFG will have taken another stride forward.

What interests me is the reaction of sport business analysts, football fans of our rivals and some pundits. It is a mantra for the said fans and almost part of the creed of the analysts and pundits to argue that United/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea/Real/Barcelona are "massive in China", "huge in Asia" and to repeat every ten seconds that Real/United/Barcelona are richer than City, that Arsenal is a "money making machine" and Chelsea are a much "bigger brand" than Manchester City. Can anyone produce any evidence to demonstrate this remarkable collection of chants? In particular, how do we judge the precise "massivity quotient" of Liverpool, United etc in China? What benefit do these clubs draw from their 700 million fans worldwide?

The evidence seems to me to point in entirely the opposite direction. In 2008 Sheikh Mansour bought a club with an annual turnover of £79 million and to compare it with any of the club's mentioned above was ridiculous. Buying the club and paying off its debts cost £190 million! United were the richest and most valuable club in the world. Today Liverpool are way behind City in terms of revenue (the thick bit of £100 million pa) and are worth just under a third of City's value! Arsenal's revenue is clearly less than City's and now they are worth considerably less than half of City's worth! Seven years on City are within a whisker of United's value and are catching up fast in revenue. Admittedly City are part of a group whereas the others are one club - but which has the better opportunities for growth - a group with a real, permanent presence in Europe, the USA, Australia, Japan and now China? Or a club in Stretford? A club in Liverpool? North London? Or Madrid? Barcelona? And we now also exceed Mr Rumenigge's club in revenue and value by quite some way! What are they all actually doing in China and Asia? What will the picture be like when we are actually "massive in China" and "huge in Asia"?!

Or even "big in Japan"

There would be absolutely no issue Etihad now paying us £80m a season if they deemed it appropriate.

Based on the valuation of the club and the benchmark figure United get just for shirt sponsorship with Chevrolet.

Nobody will be be able to replicate our model in China, either, simply because you need the approval of an actual state and have to be able to give a hefty bit of sugar in the first place.

We've seen it in our tie-up with the Yankees and the expertise brought in to start in NYC, you need to be able to deal with the top of the tree, the politicians, have the access in the first place.

Beckham thought it would be easy to take up his option of a MLS franchise in Miami but it's going down the pan because it's a lot more complicated, dealing with planners and opposition.

There's a reason, as Amanda Staveley put it not long after our takeover.

As far as the oil rich nations were concerned, Sheik Mansour buying City closed the door on any other club in England getting a similar investment and only Qatar bucked the notion with PSG.

You have to wonder what fans of Villa, Everton think about our Chinese investment?

It was big enough to buy either, with change to spare.

Fuck 'em. Fuck the lot of 'em.

They all had this coming.

I'm seriously confused. Last time I was in Stockport I didn't see a single City shirt.

Ashton seems to be the new Stockport in terms of seeing Blues kitted out in City gear any time of the day.

That said, Blues are more visible than rags in Stretford and Urmston these days and it's not just down to the ultra glow shirts!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.