Chinese made stuff.

As a boy all my little cars were 'made in china' every now and then I'd look underneath the chassis, and to be fair, sometimes it said she was 'made in Taiwan'
I didn't favour one over the other though

The tempura Cantonese king prawns are fantastic at the little yang sing, regarding steel quality, you get what you pay for, it’s chemically graded, blame the bean counters that know fuck all about engineering and care even less.

I deal with Chinese manufacturers on a daily basis. Basically if the customer specifies a requirement and holds them to it then you will get good quality product. But, but if you loosely specify requirements and don't hold them down/audit what they are doing they will strip it back to the cheapest and simplest it can be to make more cash out of it.

They are probably on par with stuff made in India.

A few years back i worked on a major re-fit of a chemical plant in Accrington.
Some bright spark of a manager decided to try save money by ordering a pressure vessel from India.
When it eventually turned up, everything seemed pretty much okay except they hadn't sent any documentation or testing certification.

So a few phone calls to the supplier, i explain to them that i need them to send us all the associated documentation, either paper copies or scanned copies on a CD.

A week or so later, said CD turns up.
I open it up expecting pages of weld test certs, pressure test results etc and there's nothing except a website link.
I click on the link, and it literally takes me to a web page on the suppliers website saying all their equipment is to 'British Standards, PED 5500's, etc etc' and thats it.

Ended up, we had to send it away for a load of 3rd party inspection procedures before we could install it, and the total eventual costs were something like 40% more than if they'd just bought one from a UK manufacturer.

They are probably on par with stuff made in India.

A few years back i worked on a major re-fit of a chemical plant in Accrington.
Some bright spark of a manager decided to try save money by ordering a pressure vessel from India.
When it eventually turned up, everything seemed pretty much okay except they hadn't sent any documentation or testing certification.

So a few phone calls to the supplier, i explain to them that i need them to send us all the associated documentation, either paper copies or scanned copies on a CD.

A week or so later, said CD turns up.
I open it up expecting pages of weld test certs, pressure test results etc and there's nothing except a website link.
I click on the link, and it literally takes me to a web page on the suppliers website saying all their equipment is to 'British Standards, PED 5500's, etc etc' and thats it.

Ended up, we had to send it away for a load of 3rd party inspection procedures before we could install it, and the total eventual costs were something like 40% more than if they'd just bought one from a UK manufacturer.
There is a lot of cost associated with certification tends to get ignored when folk buy foreign kit. Cheap is not always desirable.

I'm no fan of China/Chinese products as a general rule, but am aware an awful lot of the consumer equipment around me will have originated from there. Understand the supplier, and play the quality game.

An awful lot of automotive parts are built and part assembled in China, by a variety of manufacturers. However, the quality control is brutal, and it has to be. If China sends something sub-standard to say Japan or UK, say for Nissan, it is absolutely thoroughly checked and verified by the receiver (Japan knows what China is like) and if its in any way out of spec, the whole lot is rejected, unpaid and either collected at OS cost to be made good, or scrapped. The failure costs the Chinese supplier a fortune, but they learn to conform if they want Nissan's huge business turnover.

I am currently typing this on a One Plus 8 Pro smart phone, it cost £400 brand new with warranty, and is brilliant, even tho its a year or so old in model, its well on a par with newer phones over twice the price.

Do a bit of research, and you won't go too far wrong.

I've worked on lots of jobs where the customer has tried to save money by buying stuff from China only to have to chuck it out because the electrician refused to install it or the plumber couldn't figure out how to install it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.