City’s European Journey Starts Here….

Gary James

Today (18 Sepetember) is the anniversary of City’s first ever European Cup tie. It didn’t go the way we wanted and I’m sure there’ll be lots of older Blues with memories of that night, but now we’re treble winners I think it’s okay to remember the start of it all. It may have been painful in 1968 but it proves we’ve a history of European football that our rivals deliberately forget. We should remind them that we won a UEFA tournament before Liverpool, Juventus and even Barcelona when in 1970 we won the ECWC.

Anyway, follow the link for a contemporary match report of our first European Cup tie and post any memories you have of that night in this thread. It’d be great to read your stories and did anyone go to Istanbul for the away leg in 1968?

I remember the home tie very well. Superb player buzzer but had a bit of a mare that night which he readily admitted. Didn’t make the away leg in Istanbul but was there for our victory last season. Looking forward to repeating it at Wembley but without the appalling transport arrangements made by UEFA. Can do without the crappy “fanzone” arrangements they also set up in Istanbul.

I recall Buzzer was actually booed by City fans after missing one of those sitters.
Total frustration from the fans as I recall as we wanted to match what the rags had done.

Yeah as I said Buzzer had a mare that night but I certainly didn’t boo him. Have never done that in my entire life against any City player or manager and we’ve had some right shite over the years. Buzzer certainly doesn’t come into that particular category

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.