City are the neutrals' favourites

Henkeman

Was trying to see if there was somewhere appropriate to insert this rather than starting a new thread, but nowhere seemed especially appropriate. Mods, feel free to move if I'm wrong.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/08/manch...e-premier-league-title-not-liverpool-4721884/

Earlier in the season, I made a mistake. I laughed at those who were saying Liverpool were title challengers. I forgot to factor in the impact not playing in Europe would have and, as a result, their surge to the top wasn’t all that unpredictable.

But, more than that; I didn’t want to face what it might mean should they end their 24-year wait for a title - the unbearable smugness of their fans and the delight of a media so desperate to laud them more than they tended to do already.

No one who supports another team wants to have to pick between Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City when it comes to who they want to win the league. Liverpool, we were told repeatedly, were the neutrals’ favourites, the team who ‘deserved’ to win in a sport which owes nothing to anyone.

The events of this week have shown what utter rubbish that assertion was.

Celebrating as if they’d won the league already, their fans had moved past beyond merely wanting to dream and in to the realms of fantasy.

If there was any doubt that the neutrals would prefer City to win, then those doubts were shattered on Monday night as the entire Internet laughed hysterically when Liverpool choked at Crystal Palace. On Wednesday night it wasn’t just the City fans who felt the relief which accompanied Edin Dzeko’s opener.

If you strip away City’s money, there isn’t really much to dislike about them. Their fans can almost seem apologetic at times regarding the massive luck which has befallen their club.

They are the complete opposite of Chelsea fans who consistently demonstrate how not to behave when you’ve been presented with a not-so-little gilded gift horse.

The media also don’t seem to have much affection for them, not in the same way they do United, Liverpool and Jose Mourinho, if not Chelsea themselves.

When it comes to evils, City, even for all their ridiculous spending and disregard for FFP, are by far the lesser of the lot.

City now just need one point to spare us all the nightmare of a Liverpool title win. Even Manchester United fans want them to get it. Should they fail, they will have let down all of us who have urged them on despite how wrong it feels.

Many in the media desperately wanted us to believe that a Liverpool win would be something for us all to celebrate. When Stevie G fell over, a nation spoke.

Liverpool were never the neutrals’ favourites and for as long as their fans and the media keep telling us how they ‘deserve’ a title more than anyone else, they never will be.

Re: City are the neutrals favourites

Henkeman said:
Was trying to see if there was somewhere appropriate to insert this rather than starting a new thread, but nowhere seemed especially appropriate. Mods, feel free to move if I'm wrong.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/08/manch...e-premier-league-title-not-liverpool-4721884/

Earlier in the season, I made a mistake. I laughed at those who were saying Liverpool were title challengers. I forgot to factor in the impact not playing in Europe would have and, as a result, their surge to the top wasn’t all that unpredictable.

But, more than that; I didn’t want to face what it might mean should they end their 24-year wait for a title - the unbearable smugness of their fans and the delight of a media so desperate to laud them more than they tended to do already.

No one who supports another team wants to have to pick between Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City when it comes to who they want to win the league. Liverpool, we were told repeatedly, were the neutrals’ favourites, the team who ‘deserved’ to win in a sport which owes nothing to anyone.

Celebrating as if they’d won the league already, their fans had moved past beyond merely wanting to dream and in to the realms of fantasy.

If there was any doubt that the neutrals would prefer City to win, then those doubts were shattered on Monday night as the entire Internet laughed hysterically when Liverpool choked at Crystal Palace. On Wednesday night it wasn’t just the City fans who felt the relief which accompanied Edin Dzeko’s opener.

If you strip away City’s money, there isn’t really much to dislike about them. Their fans can almost seem apologetic at times regarding the massive luck which has befallen their club.

They are the complete opposite of Chelsea fans who consistently demonstrate how not to behave when you’ve been presented with a not-so-little gilded gift horse.

The media also don’t seem to have much affection for them, not in the same way they do United, Liverpool and Jose Mourinho, if not Chelsea themselves.

When it comes to evils, City, even for all their ridiculous spending and disregard for FFP, are by far the lesser of the lot.

City now just need one point to spare us all the nightmare of a Liverpool title win. Even Manchester United fans want them to get it. Should they fail, they will have let down all of us who have urged them on despite how wrong it feels.

Many in the media desperately wanted us to believe that a Liverpool win would be something for us all to celebrate. When Stevie G fell over, a nation spoke.

Liverpool were never the neutrals’ favourites and for as long as their fans and the media keep telling us how they ‘deserve’ a title more than anyone else, they never will be.
I speak to at lot of rival fans who are on their holidays and 99.9% do not care about our money.they would love to be in our shoes.

Henkeman said:

indeed

the medja just don't get it

the actual reaction of football fans of all flavours spoke volumes

liverpool are hated almost as much ar the rags

Candlepool have mugged themselves right off with their recent behaviour. Between the triumphalist welcoming of the team coach to the boasts and then bitterness of the 20 odd Scouse pundits out there, It has been nothing short of pathetic.

Pam said:
Candlepool have mugged themselves right off with their recent behaviour. Between the triumphalist welcoming of the team coach to the boasts and then bitterness of the 20 odd Scouse pundits out there, It has been nothing short of pathetic.

and funny

very funny

i am still laughing at them, all of them

I was staggered when Lawrenson, Hansen and Souness kept reiterating that Liverpool were the neutrals favourite.

Are these people so out of touch with reality?

Or were Sky just trying to manufacture a narrative which would increase the drama?

Since Liverpool beat United 3-0 at Old Trafford, their arrogance and lack of class has been in display for the world to see.

Booing our players on the anniversary of Hillsborough. Just why? It should have been a day for them to cheer and celebrate the memory of the people who died that day. Not to show up, boo us and then throw bricks at our coaches.

Signing we're gunna win the league before and during every game.

Gerrard's embarrassing team talk and their wild celebrations after beating us.

Twatting some Chelsea fans for singing about Gerrard slipping on his arse. And then LYING that the Chelsea fans spat on a Hillsborough memorial.

The worse part of all of it is that Liverpool's deluded fans don't even realise what a bunch or orcs they look like. If you tell them they just say "we're just cheering the team on when we sing 'we're gunna win the league'". Just a bunch of unapologetic idiots.

They are the ones on RAWK saying we are pricks and then in the same sentence saying we are a small club, Arab money, mercenaries etc. They don't even realise how bitter they are. Hope we finish the job because if Liverpool win it from here we will have let the whole country down.

I suspect the fact that they possess, and have vigorously supported, a racist, biting, cheating cnut might have also reduced their appeal to the neutral. Had a look around a few forums lately, and even the likes of Villa and Newcastle (clubs of a similar size to us, who might have reason to feel jealous) do not generally want the scousers to win it. Add in WHU, Everton, United, Chelsea and the majority of Arsenal and Spuds fans I know, and I'm running out of places to look for this neutral support!

@BluePhil8 said:
They are the ones on RAWK saying we are pricks and then in the same sentence saying we are a small club, Arab money, mercenaries etc. They don't even realise how bitter they are. Hope we finish the job because if Liverpool win it from here we will have let the whole country down.

There was somebody on there who wrote that they were technically champions because we have bought the league, some of them on there are unbelievable.

I would say they WERE the neutrals favourites,even amongst our own fans we wouldn't have begrudged them winning it if we couldn't at one stage.All that changed as they looked favourites to win it.

As they had been under the radar for years people had forgotten how insufferable they were when they won the title almost every season.Their vile behaviour since has reminded people of that and been an eye opener for younger fans.From the soundbites spewed out by their irritating manager,to the overconfidence of their players,to the behaviour of their fans,attacking opposition fans,win or lose,bricking coaches and celebrating before they have won a thing.

The catalyst for me was bricking our coaches and attacking our fans when our club and fans showed so much respect to them and their club on the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough.Despicable isn't the word.I hope they now disappear back into oblivion for the forseeable future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.