City 'award prizes' to fans who missed Cup Final

Mad Eyed Screamer

<a class="postlink" href="http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1467531_manchester-city-award-prizes-to-fans-who-had-good-reason-to-miss-wembley-fa-cup-triumph" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... up-triumph</a>

If you miss the moment your football team wins its first major trophy for 35 years, then you’d better have a good excuse.

And not many are better than those given by this bunch of die-hard Manchester City fans who have been rewarded by the club after they missed their heroes ending the decades-old hoodoo.

As Roberto Mancini’s men lifted the trophy at Wembley on May 14, one fan was waiting for his girlfriend to give birth to their daughter, another was glued to a TV set 10,000 miles away and a third was helping to bring down a dictator in Libya.

But all three were celebrating after being named winners in a Wish You Were Here competition launched by City bosses.

They asked fans why they could not be there for the Blues’ big day. And dad-to-be Mike Raftery, Didsbury ex-pat Penny Davidson and RAF mechanic Dan Collins each picked up a commemorative FA Cup Winning Box Set.

Mike, 26, who is from Hollingworth, Hyde, was nominated by girlfriend and fellow Blue Jenna Rowland, 25.

She said: “He had a ticket and he was absolutely devastated. Layla Paige was due on May 8 but she had still made no appearance by the 13th and I wouldn’t let him go just in case she did.

“His dad went and raved about how amazing it was, but he had to watch it on the telly. He wanted to go to the pub but I told him ‘no chance’. He was sulking and had a face like a slapped backside.”

Mike said that things then went from bad to worse.

He said: “I had a ticket for the homecoming parade on the 23rd but she was still not here. I thought it would be a great head-wetting for her but she refused to play along.

“She was eventually born that day at 3pm - but there was no way I could get to the stadium on time.” Electrical engineer Mike, a season card holder, says he has no regrets after picking up the box set, which includes a replica FA Cup shirt, commemorative coin, unique numbered silver arm patch and match programme

He said: “It’s great to get this from City, and I’ll be there the next time - baby or no baby.”

Penny, 17, who now lives in Perth, had to move down under the week before the match because of her father’s work.

She said: “I’d seen all the cup run and was gutted not to go to the final, but watching them lift the trophy at 1am was amazing.”

Dan, 19, originally from Manchester, said: “I had tickets but my squadron got called to go out to southern Italy last minute for Operation Ellamy. I had to fly out hours after the game so couldn’t make it.” Only 2,011 of the keepsakes were made and are on sale priced at £75 at Citystores at the Etihad Stadium and on Market Street.

Thought I would have got a mention, but I hardly think writing "some **** on-selling the ticket I organised to another mate" makes a good story...

There isn't (aren't?) too many things that I would swap for my memories of being there to witness the end of the drought; even the saddle off Charlize Theron's bicycle pales into insignificance compared to that day!

urmston said:
I was there for the cup win but the semi was better.

Agree and disagree.

The whole day of the semi-final was better, becausde of who it was against, but to actually see a cup being lifted by MY team, in the flesh, was simply orgasmic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.