City documentary 1981.

john@staustell said:
I'm sure he was ably supported by Freddie Pye :-)

From being owned by a video shop bloke to a bloke that owns a quarter of the world. Bit of a change.

The biggest change is that now it is expensive to watch City but back then it was cheap.

In 1981 I lived in Leeds and it cost me £3.20 for a day return to Manchester on the train and £1.30 on the turnstile.

Nowadays the match ticket would cost much more than the train fare.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
City's Board Meeting in that documentary was akin to a committee meeting at a miner's welfare where they're discussing whether to have the darts night on a Tuesday or a Thursday. Small-time.

Fucking unbelievable to think that was a little over three decades ago. It was another world.

I still get upset watching that.I left school in Sheffield in 1977 and was called a glory hunter for following City at that time,I had to explain I was a Manc who moved to Sheffield.

By 1983 I got sympathy when I told people who I support.

Swales and his bunch of incompetents were responsible for the 20 plus years of total shit imo.

you can tell on the interview that niven is far from happy that his hero Allison has been sacked ,he looks as grumpy as hell when asked his opinion..someone out of this lot was responsible for hounding bond out a few years later.

Scaring Europe to Death said:
john@staustell said:
I'm sure he was ably supported by Freddie Pye :-)

From being owned by a video shop bloke to a bloke that owns a quarter of the world. Bit of a change.

Don't forget Ian Niven's pub.

i used to drink in Wiggys pub (The Royal Scot in Marple Bridge), he was a real City fan but a very strange man.

His pro Allison stance is probably one of the reasons MA ended up back at the club and in doing so, destroyed his legendary status by tearing us apart!

Tbilisi said:
City's Board Meeting in that documentary was akin to a committee meeting at a miner's welfare where they're discussing whether to have the darts night on a Tuesday or a Thursday. Small-time.

Fucking unbelievable to think that was a little over three decades ago. It was another world.

I still get upset watching that.I left school in Sheffield in 1977 and was called a glory hunter for following City at that time,I had to explain I was a Manc who moved to Sheffield.

Swales and his bunch of incompetents were responsible for the 20 plus years of total shit imo.

Spot on. Disastrous times for the club and certainly not the good old days !

peter.evans said:
Tbilisi said:

Spot on. Disastrous times for the club and certainly not the good old days !

Dont let David Conn hear that. Wonderful according to that fool.

Watched this a few weeks ago. Hilarious how things were run then, no planning for the future or anything at all but just quite literally game by game chaos.

Well the "fan power" back then eventually brought in Franny Lee who did far more damage to City than Swales. Shows what us fans know.

crmcfc said:
Well the "fan power" back then eventually brought in Franny Lee who did far more damage to City than Swales. Shows what us fans know.

Speak for yourself. What do you know? On what basis do you make this statement?

Swales reign took us took us from a top club to the brink of oblivion. The damage was hidden in the accounts where we had sold the silver and were robbing Peter to pay Paul so could barely function as a football club. There was no investment and no money. Anyone who believes Swales spent all the money trying to catch United when we were ahead when he took over, has a strange logic.

The 1981 documentary shows Manchester City to be run by a bunch of small time, petty business men. Swales and his cronies ran it for their own ends. They won the lottery and used City as their plaything till it was broke with nothing left. Everything about him was a chancer and gambler full of empty bravado. Did Swales not sack Mercer and Book, at the time when they were two of our most succesful managers? Did he not transfer our top goalscorer who had led us to success because he spoke out against Swales. Please explain what Peter Swales achieved for City and what good was his legacy?

Was it not Swales who as Chairman of the England Selection Commitee oversaw Don Revie appointed England manager over Brian Clough? I think his explanation was that it was his job to tell the manager what to do not the other way around as Clough would have it. England were in decline under his stewardship. Revie didnt take long to jump ship.

Francis Lee took over a sinking ship. His pockets were not deep enough, he did make bad decisions, leading to us to drop to division 3. But unlike Swales, he stepped down so the Club could move forward again under Bernstein then Wardle. Lee can claim he helped resurect our youth policy and it was his vision and legacy that saw us move to the CoMS, which has grown into the Etihad.

Manchester City Football Club was lucky to survive Peter Swales. To the end he was looking after his own interests. We could have easily gone the same way as Rangers in Scotland. Lee, Wardle and Makin and Shinawatra all sought to turn the Club round and make a profit. It took the wealth of Sheikh Mansour and strong management with a clear vision to finally undo the damage done by Peter Swales and realise the potential of City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.