City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

If people leaving early has a negative effect on our players, it must be having an even bigger effect on the opposition, because we score in the last few minutes every week.

Good point.

This season our record for the last 15 minutes of home games is scored 5 and conceded 0.

Last year it was 17-3 for the whole season.

This is where many are hypocrites, you want to listen to Peps requests as and when it suits but then when it comes to booing the anthem you get the "i can do what i want brigade" Also the same with the fans, people said the booing created negative vibes from the off and if it bothered the players they should man up. Well they should man up to leaving a pitch to 10 fans or 50 odd thousand fans. In an ideal world every fan stays until the last seconds and applauds the team off, not having the argument of the football we play means we have to though. No one answered it but does that mean when we was shit we could fuck off after ten minutes? I love City but my life doesnt revolve around them anymore, like many i dont want a full day to be taken up by the match and if i can save time i will. Occasions like Sunday or the odd games you make a day of it with your mates is a different story, same with every other fanbase in the country.

I'm not talking about booing the anthem.

All I'm saying is that playing in front of a half empty stadium is detrimental to the players and club. If your life doesn't revolve around city and you want to leave early then that is absolutely your right to do so. I'm simply making the point that thousands of people flooding out of the exits with 10 minutes still to play - often with the games still in the balance - does the club and players no good whatsoever.

We can analyse it, compare it to other fanbases, compare it to not leaving after 10 minutes when we were shit or the hypocrisy of booing the anthem - whichever way we spin this the fact remains that a half empty stadium is detrimental. There may be nothing we can do, I may be being overly idealistic, but I'm not sure anyone could argue that a full stadium is preferable to a half empty one.

I'm not talking about booing the anthem.

All I'm saying is that playing in front of a half empty stadium is detrimental to the players and club. If your life doesn't revolve around city and you want to leave early then that is absolutely your right to do so. I'm simply making the point that thousands of people flooding out of the exits with 10 minutes still to play - often with the games still in the balance - does the club and players no good whatsoever.

We can analyse it, compare it to other fanbases, compare it to not leaving after 10 minutes when we were shit or the hypocrisy of booing the anthem - whichever way we spin this the fact remains that a half empty stadium is detrimental. There may be nothing we can do, I may be being overly idealistic, but I'm not sure anyone could argue that a full stadium is preferable to a half empty one.

It's not detrimental in the slightest though is it, that just sounds good for you to say it doesn't it. Wording it that way makes your point stronger when that isn't the case. It is claimed we are the worst for it out of everyone yet I would imagine our home record trumps everyone elses. That would suggest it doesn't bother the players in the slightest. The only argument is them deserving it and an applause but in the same breath does that mean we can leave early if they are shit. Keep saying it is detrimental if you wish, everything points to the answer that it isn't. I used the anthem as a comparison and in a competition we can struggle in.

It's not detrimental in the slightest though is it, that just sounds good for you to say it doesn't it. Wording it that way makes your point stronger when that isn't the case. It is claimed we are the worst for it out of everyone yet I would imagine our home record trumps everyone elses. That would suggest it doesn't bother the players in the slightest. The only argument is them deserving it and an applause but in the same breath does that mean we can leave early if they are shit. Keep saying it is detrimental if you wish, everything points to the answer that it isn't. I used the anthem as a comparison and in a competition we can struggle in.

If you don't think football players prefer to play in front of a full stadium rather than one that's half empty then I suppose that's the immovable point in our discussion. I strongly disagree and I'm pretty confident if you asked professional football players they would do too. That doesn't mean Messi turns into Darren Wassall when there aren't enough fans in the stadium but it's not a great leap to think that the atmosphere in a stadium can have an effect (even to a small degree) on a player's performance.

Last edited:
Good point.

This season our record for the last 15 minutes of home games is scored 5 and conceded 0.

Last year it was 17-3 for the whole season.

It can have a bigger affect on potential sponsors because it makes us look a smaller club when the players celebrate in front of half empty stands!

So you're one of the early leavers Tom. You can be bothered to attend games, but why the need to leave early to miss the the end and goals scored? I wouldn't ask a poster the question but your opinion is so vehement on the matter that I'm intrigued as to why you feel the need to leave early.

I really don't understand why some bother. I did 4 seasons in 109 and the guy next to me always seemed to arrive 5-10 minutes late, go for a pint 5 minutes before HT, get back 5 mins after start of second half, to leave every game 5-10 minutes before the end. He missed at least 20 minutes every single game. I just don't understand some peoples mentality, and why they bother attending.

Last season we got proper chips, and they were great especially with the chicken curry sauce.
This year they changed them to fries and they were truly disgusting.

Must have been a lot of complaints because they are back to chips now.

Where, where, anywhere near 125? :-) I just want the chips, I sometime crave the chips when I'm coming straight to the match from a meeting!! I don't like curry sauce and I don't even like gravy on chips............. yes I am a Mancunian........ well an Ecclesian I suppose!!!

It can have a bigger affect on potential sponsors because it makes us look a smaller club when the players celebrate in front of half empty stands!

Can it? What sources back your claims up? Or is this another one like how detrimental it is to the team too (even though that isn't true either)

So you're one of the early leavers Tom. You can be bothered to attend games, but why the need to leave early to miss the the end and goals scored? I wouldn't ask a poster the question but your opinion is so vehement on the matter that I'm intrigued as to why you feel the need to leave early.

I really don't understand why some bother. I did 4 seasons in 109 and the guy next to me always seemed to arrive 5-10 minutes late, go for a pint 5 minutes before HT, get back 5 mins after start of second half, to leave every game 5-10 minutes before the end. He missed at least 20 minutes every single game. I just don't understand some peoples mentality, and why they bother attending.

Sometimes I leave early sometimes I don't. I left early last Wednesday because I was there with my daughter. Preferred to get home a bit earlier on a school night if that is ok with everyone. Occasions I stay it all depends what I have planned for my day/evening. Football isn't my life and I don't allocate a full day to it anymore really, more important stuff to do. If they didn't bother attending all the early leavers then it really would be the Emptihad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.