City Football Group | Secure $650m loan facility for infrastructure projects (p 54)

I don't understand investing in New York City FC like that. I heard New York City fans don't like us. I don't know why we're trying so hard.
Think of it like this.

Say 50% of NYCFC supporters dislike Manchester City.
Maybe they don't like the lack of individuality of NYCFC (when compared to MCFC) or they had previous affiliations with one of City's rivals like United, Arsenal or Liverpool. These people still buy tickets for NYCFC games, NYCFC shirts, t-shirts, hats, programmes, scarves etc etc.

How else would City get the money of these fans? They are never going to buy a Manchester City shirt.
It helps open a market that would otherwise be completely closed.

Additionally, the US is a HUGE market and "soccer" is a rapidly growing industry, so scaling back investment in NYCFC makes no financial sense, nor would it make competitive sense as the club have not yet won a single piece of silverware and waning investment would result in a decline in the team's quality.

This is the current project for CFC not sure what they have planned for the other clubs. I can't see the china project being cheap.

Reactions: kun
I posted in the Tebas thread a couple of weeks ago, along these lines:

Amazon, Facebook, Tesla, Uber, Virgin, Netflix are are just a few of many huge companies that invest heavily at the front end of their business, and are happy to trade huge losses for even bigger potential.

There's no doubt our owners have huge ambition, and are prepared to invest heavily in it. This is the front of our growth plan, these are early days.

It's worth bearing in mind that nobody has ever done what we are currently building in world football ever before. Our owners are at the forefront of this idea. Be under no illusion, other wealthy investors are watching how we go.

I would not be in anyway surprised to see this new funding spent elsewhere in the group. As others have rightly observed, we are a huge multi-billion pound business, and our owners want maximum return of investment. USA, China and India alone are massive growth opportunities, and CFG are thinking globally.

That will certainly piss off some of the "I was there at York" mob, but that isn't us anymore. MCFC is absolutely the flagship club of the CFG, but we may be joined by others if soccer in America/China/India gains traction.

Please bear in mind, we are fucking huge now.

#

Amazon, Facebook, Tesla, Uber, Virgin, Netflix are are just a few of many huge companies that invest heavily at the front end of their business, and are happy to trade huge losses for even bigger potential.

There's no doubt our owners have huge ambition, and are prepared to invest heavily in it. This is the front of our growth plan, these are early days.

It's worth bearing in mind that nobody has ever done what we are currently building in world football ever before. Our owners are at the forefront of this idea. Be under no illusion, other wealthy investors are watching how we go.

I would not be in anyway surprised to see this new funding spent elsewhere in the group. As others have rightly observed, we are a huge multi-billion pound business, and our owners want maximum return of investment. USA, China and India alone are massive growth opportunities, and CFG are thinking globally.

That will certainly piss off some of the "I was there at York" mob, but that isn't us anymore. MCFC is absolutely the flagship club of the CFG, but we may be joined by others if soccer in America/China/India gains traction.

Is huge bigger than massive?

The way the MLS is growing is astonishing compared to other US sports. I think the league over there will be huge in 20 years and the same is true in China. The European leagues are dominant at the moment, led by the PL, but the world is changing whether we like it or not.
The good thing about the CFG project is that huge investments have been made in local communities where the clubs are based. That suggests that our owner understands the value of maintaining strong local links. It also suggests that Manchester will remain pivotal for Sheikh Mansour for decades which is bad news for our rivals who think "the oil money will run out" or "he'll get bored."

The way the MLS is growing is astonishing compared to other US sports. I think the league over there will be huge in 20 years and the same is true in China. The European leagues are dominant at the moment, led by the PL, but the world is changing whether we like it or not.
The good thing about the CFG project is that huge investments have been made in local communities where the clubs are based. That suggests that our owner understands the value of maintaining strong local links. It also suggests that Manchester will remain pivotal for Sheikh Mansour for decades which is bad news for our rivals who think "the oil money will run out" or "he'll get bored."
Note. Less than half of Mansour income is from oil.

Note. Less than half of Mansour income is from oil.
Yes and the figure is rapidly coming down every year. What our critics have failed to see is that the whole point of the CFG group is to diversify revenues away from fossil fuels. Sheikh Mansour is also a huge investor in renewable energy.
The more time our rivals spend spouting their fake "sportswashing" narrative the better for our club. The penny has finally started to drop with them that we have stolen a huge march on them with our business model.

I suspect when conditions become normal again we'll be looking to sell of another 10-15% of the pie to raise more funds. Thankfully debt is dirt cheap at the moment so is probably the better option at the moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.