City Greatest XI

Iamthemusicman

Reading the Bell vs Silva thread got me thinking and reminded me of a display I have at home from Danbury Mint. It is basically a nice box that holds City's Greatest XI and lights up.

The team goes like this: Trautman, Book, Power, Booth, Pardoe, Summerbee, Bell, Oakes, Young, Lee, Goater.

I think now you could make a good argument that that team is 'out of date' due to our recent success and some of the players we've had/still have.

Being 19, the only player on the list above I really saw was Goater although I have seen videos, stats and stories about the rest. I know there are many on here far more qualified than me to decide who actually deserves to be in our Greatest XI of all time.

Your opinions please?

Trautmann in goal, yes, Bell certainly, no question, but Aguero, Silva and Yaya are as good as any I've seen! Very difficult to do over five or six decades 'cos Joe Hart is probably far more 'athletic' than Bert was, and I grew up with Bert in goal, and how can you come to a reasonable and logical comparison between Tony Book and Pablo Zabaleta?

I never saw Peter Doherty but by all accounts he would make any City team.

This is an almost impossible task due to different eras. A greatest Premiership XI would be interesting but I think only Tevez of those who have left would have a realistic chance of getting in.

I'm only using players I'm old enough to remember actually watching, so:

Hart
Zabaleta Kompany Dunne
Touré Dinho
Silva SWP
Aguero Tevez Goater

Always very difficult and subjective these things.

If I was trying to be balanced based on players' achievements with the club, and also standing within the game, I'd go for something like this:

Trautmann
Book
Doyle
Kompany
Pardoe
Summerbee
Bell
Toure
Silva
Lee
Aguero

That's largely just picking players from our two most successful sides though. There are pretty compelling arguments for including the likes of Meredith, Doherty, Brook etc.

Difficult to say though when you haven't seen them in action! Based on those I've actually seen myself, I'd go for:

Hart
Zabaleta
Kompany
Distin
Hinchcliffe
Silva
Toure
Kinkladze
De Bruyne
Aguero
Tevez

Pretty unbalanced midfield, and a heavy emphasis on recent players, but I started going to City in the late 80s so it was slim pickings for quite some time!

Hart
Zabba
Bobby mc
Vince
Lakey
Dav
Ali B
KDB
Sergio
Carlitos
Tueart
Subs Corrigan Ferna McCarthy Bellamy Barry francis rosler

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.