City in New York this summer.

Mad Ferret

Who's going ?

Who's been to New York and can recommend reasonably priced accommodation in the thick of it ?

I will be doing Minneapolis and Miami too i reckon.

Very hard to find cheap accommodation in New York unless you want to slum it.

I've never been but have researched accommodation for friends who were going in the past.

Even half-decent 3 star hotels are around £120 - £150 per night and no breakfast with that and per person rather than per room.

Better off getting a 'fly-drive' deal and sleeping in the hire car as its only for a few nights anyway.

Try hotwire .com or priceline .com. I haven't used priceline, however, you negotiate the price for the hotel you want a room in. I have used hotwire, and we got a room in a very nice hotel across the street from the U.N. for a great rate.

Hotwire gives you the star rating, amenities and neighborhood of the hotel. Using what they tell you, you can often figure out which hotel it is ahead of time before purchasing, with a little research.

Even slumming it in New York will cost you an arm and a leg!

Another option is to stop in New Jersey close to the tunnel, you can some really nice hotels for half the price you would pay in Manhattan, and it's just a bis ride away, although I will say stopping in Manhattan is a great experience

I would also recommend using things like airbnb.com or vrbo.com to rent an apartment or a room. I've used vrbo both times I've been to NYC and once was fantastic and once was a bit shady. So just read the reviews.

New Yorker here.

There is no such thing as a cheap hotel here, especially in the summer. You're looking at $250-$350 per night for anything in Midtown.

Other posters have given some good ideas. I'd just recommend staying near either the D or 4 train lines (these go to the stadium). So, look at Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) or Lexington Ave.

Sleeping in a hire car is only ok if you have made a will first. Slumming it is as much fun as your subsequent hospital stay. Airbnb can be pricey as well as dodgy - couchsurfing is at least free, but good luck surfing in Manhattan in the summer.

Just as an example, last summer I paid $275 for 2 nights, double room, at the Broadway Hotel, 230 101st St. Not at all luxurious but safe and easy enough to reach.

Have fun, it's a great town.

a bit ropey but better than a car.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-us.html?aid=376362;label=booking-name-ocusVqu2ZjTBWS%2ADZp3_%2AgS36174532882%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2439%2C000%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=933baebbfb19b86b6e90c48928565519;dcid=1;checkin_monthday=29;checkin_year_month=2014-7;checkout_monthday=1;checkout_year_month=2014-8;city=20088325;class_interval=1;csflt=%7B%7D;dtdisc=0;hyb_red=0;inac=0;nha_red=0;no_rooms=1;property_room_info=1;redirected_from_city=0;redirected_from_landmark=0;redirected_from_region=0;review_score_group=empty;ss_all=0;ssb=empty;or_radius=10;order=price_excluding_dormitories;logout=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en ... s;logout=1</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.