City losing three-goal lead

Big Swifty

We have had a gloat over Spurs shipping three late goals, and some here have recalled the game v Bournemouth in 1989 - 3-0 up at half-time and drew 3-3.

There have been others, though - v Forest in 1968-69, our Cup-winning season = 3-0 after 45 mins, 3-3 after 90. Also (for older members) Cup replay v Newcastle at Maine Rd in Jan 57 - 3-0 up, then ending 4-5 after extra time.

But the worst was in October 1950 (promotion from old Div 2 season) - 3-0 up at Doncaster by half-time, then Doncaster scored 4 in seven minutes past Bert. Annoyingly, the last two were scored by our own ex-plater, the great Peter Doherty. And the crowd was 32,000.

Typical City

We have had a gloat over Spurs shipping three late goals, and some here have recalled the game v Bournemouth in 1989 - 3-0 up at half-time and drew 3-3.

There have been others, though - v Forest in 1968-69, our Cup-winning season = 3-0 after 45 mins, 3-3 after 90. Also (for older members) Cup replay v Newcastle at Maine Rd in Jan 57 - 3-0 up, then ending 4-5 after extra time.

But the worst was in October 1950 (promotion from old Div 2 season) - 3-0 up at Doncaster by half-time, then Doncaster scored 4 in seven minutes past Bert. Annoyingly, the last two were scored by our own ex-plater, the great Peter Doherty. And the crowd was 32,000.

Typical City
My dad used to say Peter Doherty was the best player he saw for City but sadly he missed out on the recent crop. But he would have been pleased me and our kid and many grandsons got to see Silva etc win so many trophies.

I can recall an odd near miss. One that springs to mind from March 1964 when City played glourious football and were 3-0 up against Derby County in no time with Derek Kevan (2) and Jimmy Murray scoring the goals. City allowed Derby back into the game and were desparately hanging on towards the end.

Spurs losing a 3 goal lead at home is nothing new but City did it in 2004 with ten men to win 4-3.

Last edited:

Typical City
An old boy, who's saddly since passed, used to share transport to the match with a group of us and if I heard him tell me the story of that fogbound Newcastle Cup Tie once then I heard it at least 50 times! Good to see others are still here who can remember it too!

An old boy, who's saddly since passed, used to share transport to the match with a group of us and if I heard him tell me the story of that fogbound Newcastle Cup Tie once then I heard it at least 50 times! Good to see others are still here who can remember it too!
best game i ever saw, also the loudest......

I know it's not quite the same, but I think our most spectacular disaster was the FA Cup tie with Luton abandoned due to the weather 6-2 up at the time, with Denis Law scoring them all, and we ended up losing 3-1, and DL scored our goal again, 3 days later.

Only we could manage a turn round like that.

My dad used to say Peter Doherty was the best player he saw for City but sadly he missed out on the recent crop. But he would have been pleased me and our kid and many grandsons got to see Silva etc win so many trophies.
My dad too used to wax lyrical about Peter Doherty. My dad is 90 now and luckily got to see our recent past and still puts Doherty above them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.