City losing three-goal lead

An old boy, who's saddly since passed, used to share transport to the match with a group of us and if I heard him tell me the story of that fogbound Newcastle Cup Tie once then I heard it at least 50 times! Good to see others are still here who can remember it too!
My Dad went to that game. It was an afternoon mid-week match & we had a newsagents shop at the time. I was very young so he had to leave early to get home in time to help Mum with the evening papers. He left the ground at 3-0 thinking it was as good as over. In those days there weren't even any transistor radios, so no way of knowing the final score until arriving home. He couldn't believe it when Mum told him City had lost 4-5. Typical City yet again.

My Dad went to that game. It was an afternoon mid-week match & we had a newsagents shop at the time. I was very young so he had to leave early to get home in time to help Mum with the evening papers. He left the ground at 3-0 thinking it was as good as over. In those days there weren't even any transistor radios, so no way of knowing the final score until arriving home. He couldn't believe it when Mum told him City had lost 4-5. Typical City yet again.

I remember my grandad telling me something similar he left for whatever reason at 3-0 and by the time he got to Picadilly he found out we'd got beat 4-5.

It was one of those 'typical City' stories we have heard so often.

To Leicester iirc.

I remember some blues singing ‘going up’ after the game as I walked from the Kippax round to the North Stand who were coming towards me and I thought they were taking the piss!
Pretty surreal day.

For the first 45 minutes it was a proper party atmosphere, beach balls, bananas etc everywhere. By the finish the atmosphere was poisonous and as I was In the Main Stand so witnessed the abuse Peter Swales got at full time. It was probably the last thing he expected that day.

First people knew of the Palace equaliser, where I was, was when fans started running back into the ground cheering, through the kippax tunnels,and then the scoreboard flickered into life. Such contrasting emotions in one game of football.

Still have nightmares about the Bournemouth game... the conga on the Kippax at HT was a good laugh though!
I remember it well, It was such a great day, until the second half kicked off, couldn't believe it, then we were all asking people with radios "whats the score at Palace?" Happy days! Typical City :)

Pisser that but all’s well that ends well. The worst thrown away game for me without a shadow of a doubt was the rags loss in the centurions season to win the league. We should easily have been 5-0 up at half time. That will never be topped for me. A once in a lifetime opportunity pissed away and we end up celebrating after a 0-0 draw with Huddersfield instead.

But we wouldn't have had this:

I remember the game Vs Forest. I couldn't believe that City threw away a 3 goal lead.
I seem to remember Terry Hennessy playing really well for Forest.
I was at that game if my memory serves me right Forest scored their goals at the scoreboard end, I also recall that one of their goals came from a corner I was at the Kippax / scoreboard corner and remember the ball being outside the D, hated Forest from that day on cheating gits.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.