City on 1st MOTD in colour NOT LFC!

I have it in the back of my mind that in 1967-68 City games were televised joint fewest of any teams in Div 1 that season - despite us winning the league.
Can you confirm if that's right or not Gary
Cheers

I thought the media thread was the go-to place for paranoia.

Attachments

• 1602533645304.png
    1602533645304.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Earlier on my twitter & facebook I posted an On This Day about City wearing red/black stripes for the first time (OTD in 1968 v Everton). Fans were critical at the time and I posted an image of a letter written by a Blue in which he commented on how he'd seen City on Match of the Day in colour and was appalled at us wearing red. Ignoring the stuff about the kit (as with the 99 play off kit, the red/black became iconic because of what happened in the kit not because fans loved it initially - they had been critical), the comment about MOTD led to me getting a few messages from people saying that I was wrong because MOTD wasn't broadcast in colour until 1969 when LFC played WHU in a game. Well, as with so many other things in football history, that is wrong. It's a myth that LFC played in the first colour game on MOTD.

The truth is that reigning champions City lost 2-0 at Chelsea on 2/11/1968 in the 1st ever game shown in colour on MOTD not LFC/WHU in Nov 1969. The BBC themselves keep claiming the LFC game as the first but that's probably because our game at Chelsea a year earlier was on BBC2. Whoever has done the research for the BBC has obviously missed the BBC2 game.

I know many reading this will think 'so what?' but it's another example of how football history can be manipulated/misunderstood or simply incorrectly researched. So, if anyone ever sees that LFC/WHU was the 1st colour game on MOTD please put them right. Too much of our history has been eradicated or ignored.

I've been fighting these anomalies/myths/incorrect assumptions for years and I know many other Blues have too. It's important we carry on before myths become facts in people's eyes (recently I've written this article: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2020.1818613 It's free to download until 31/10 and while it's about the women's team and not the men's part of it is written with a similar motive - to correct myths and errors that become facts. The women's team's history has been discarded by many rival clubs and some in the media, so it's important that's challenged).

I‘m pretty certain the first MOTD was between Liverpool and Arsenal back in the 60s but would have been in B&W hence the possible confusion

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.