City pay structure to use Barca Model

ChicagoBlue

From the Daily Star: Normally would not post paper talk, but this actually looks like a real, common sensical story!

MANCHESTER CITY plan to revolutionise their payments to players on the lines of the Barcelona model for rewarding success.

Basic salaries, particularly contract renewals, will be REDUCED – but bonuses will be INCREASED.

It means top stars earning £6million-a-year could double their money if they deliver trophies.

City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano and football director Txiki Begiristain are working on the new-style contracts, which will have the biggest incentives for success in the game.

Barcelona superstars like Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta, Xavi and Cesc Fabregas are subject to that regime at the Catalan club.

And Soriano and Begiristain know the detail of Barcelona’s deals through their time at the Nou Camp.

Begiristain is currently going through City’s contracts with a fine-tooth comb and is understood to have been staggered at the basic salaries enjoyed by players like Yaya Toure and Carlos Tevez.

City hope to establish top, basic salaries at around £140,000-a-week – rather than nearer £200,000.

They know they have to address their basic wages in line with UEFA’s financial fair play rules and they want the emphasis based more on rewarding success.

Sounds like a good move...Paying top dollar for success, which is what brings in the revenues that pays for it all.

Great idea! We should have been doing this for the last 30 years, given some of the lazy little tw*ts that we've had. Nicky Summerbee wouldn't have earned much and imagine how skint Danny Mills would be!

Feel free to add to the list. I'll start you off with McManaman.

Q-Blue said:
Great idea! We should have been doing this for the last 30 years, given some of the lazy little tw*ts that we've had. Nicky Summerbee wouldn't have earned much and imagine how skint Danny Mills would be!

Feel free to add to the list. I'll start you off with mcminimum .

Edited for accuracy :)

Makes sense to me to be honest - where I work I'm happy for sales guys to get big commissions when they generate money for the company but it when they sell low margin deals.

Will the current players accept this though as currently they get the majority of their money (as I understand it) regardless of where we finish in the league.

They should be happy if they have the mindset to win things but based on some performances this season (like yesterday) I'm not sure all of our current players have that mentality.

It's a nice idea in theory but in practice we simply don't have the pulling power of Barcelona and I suspect most potential transfer targets would opt for the higher basic wage that would inevitably be offered by competing clubs.

Good idea, any new contract has to be done this way.

Our wage bill is around 200m, 3rd or 4th biggest in Europe, and we cant even get into the best 16 in CL last season or this...

(There are/were teams in in with 50m-100m wage bill).

Good bonus ssystem might be good for motivation as well as we clearly struggle to motivate some of our hgh earners, they get their 100k+ wage per week even if they contribute about nothing like Nasri or Kolarov...

We had to pay those sums in wages at first to be able
to acquire the players that would win us trophies and get us in Champ's league.
They were never going to continue at that rate.
We can't be compared to Barcelona, not many clubs can but unless
we pay well over top dollar we won't be in the running to sign truly world
class talent. We've seriously regressed on the pitch and if we don't get our finger out
we'll be scrapping for 4th spot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.