City pay structure to use Barca Model

HorshamBlue said:
Neville Kneville said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
A lot of posters don't seem to realise what is going on at City. They have taken the idea over from the press that our owner is a sugar daddy who is now having fits about the cost of PL football for trophy winning teams. He is not. He is a business man who wants to run a successful business. In 2008 he saw very clearly that investment was necessary and part of this investment was in playing staff and the wages to attract the players to achieve his immediate aims. Some of the wages talked about for players already at the club are fanciful and involve bonus payments never actually earned, but the Sheikh accepted that a "City premium" would be necessary. What the moaners on here have to face up to is that Mancini and the players hit the Sheikh's targets a year early! The Sheikh no longer saw the need for the premium, and it was this which led Hazard to go to Chelsea and, probably, Van Persie to go to the swamp dwellers, rather than FFPR. So talk of record bids for 3 or 4 players this summer accompanied by mega wages is fantasy. What we will see is one "big" signing with more signings of promising young players. Some established stars will leave, others will not. Don't expect City to run away with the title and/or the CL next season - the aim of the owners is to consolidate City's position off the field and to challengefor trophies rather than "buy" them. We may win the PL, the CL, the FA cup or even all of them next season but we won't do it by throwing money at the matter and we won't put long term growth at risk.

Sensible stuff.

I've never understood why people think Sheikh Mansour intends to continually spend 200 mil per year on City. I mean, if Messi was available, I'm sure he'd go for it, but as you say, he will want to make the occasional big signing, grow our own players & sign players who improve at the club.
Surely that requires a manager who, unlike Mancini, is prepared to give the non-big signing players some proper game time?

I agree with all these points and I also have concerns that Mancini doesn't play youth or non-big players. That Everton game was crying out for a young, hungry player such as razak to come on and prove himself. Instead we saw nasri (do nothing)! A recent story regarding abdi Ibrahim has been released linking him with other premier league clubs! I honestly think with Mancini in charge we will never see good quality youth players playing on a regular basis. Mancini seems to think you need to keep spending a ridiculous amount on world class talent every season to be successful. Which is obviously not true looking at the 2 most successful clubs in the past 10 years (barca and rags). Slightly off topic but it does tie in with your point.

Rodenberger10 said:
HorshamBlue said:
Neville Kneville said:
Sensible stuff.

I've never understood why people think Sheikh Mansour intends to continually spend 200 mil per year on City. I mean, if Messi was available, I'm sure he'd go for it, but as you say, he will want to make the occasional big signing, grow our own players & sign players who improve at the club.
Surely that requires a manager who, unlike Mancini, is prepared to give the non-big signing players some proper game time?

I agree with all these points and I also have concerns that Mancini doesn't play youth or non-big players. That Everton game was crying out for a young, hungry player such as razak to come on and prove himself. Instead we saw nasri (do nothing)! A recent story regarding abdi Ibrahim has been released linking him with other premier league clubs! I honestly think with Mancini in charge we will never see good quality youth players playing on a regular basis. Mancini seems to think you need to keep spending a ridiculous amount on world class talent every season to be successful. Which is obviously not true looking at the 2 most successful clubs in the past 10 years (barca and rags). Slightly off topic but it does tie in with your point.

How old is Nasti? How old's Puyol, Xavi, how old was Abidal/ Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand and Neville, If they have been good enough, they have been played, your aren't a City supporter, just another rag, reeling out the same tired crap. Every top side there has ever been has continually bought quality, year after year, Liverpool, Barca, Real, Bayern, Chelski, ragdom and City will do the same. Last summer, a couple of *ricks saw their last chance to pocket some cash at our owners expense. Nasti happened because Savic went the other way, all the others were deals George Graham would have been proud of, FOYFT!

cleavers said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Danamy said:
Arsenal players are on shit salaries by comparison, but their wages are made up with big win bonuses.
That's why Arsenal have so much cash presumably?
Its also why their best players continue to leave them.

Whilst supportive of the idea, I'm also in the sceptic camp that this could fully work at City. Nobody can guarantee success, so if I can see that, then I'm sure top footballers will, and so top players may not come as they might not get the big win bonuses offered. Obviously that is up to them to a degree, but also up to which ever manager is in charge.

I think we'll have to continue to pay higher than most clubs for the foreseeable future, until at least until we have sustained success, and 2 significant trophies while sustained in City terms, is certainly not terms of the "world" clubs.

Agree with this. It's a great idea in principle, provided your club is an appealing and prestigious name in itself, which sadly we are not yet.

I might add that our early CL exits have been so incredibly damaging. Had we managed say a semi final, this would have been an enormous boost to our worldwide appeal as far as the top players are concerned.

Chippy_boy said:
cleavers said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
That's why Arsenal have so much cash presumably?
Its also why their best players continue to leave them.

Whilst supportive of the idea, I'm also in the sceptic camp that this could fully work at City. Nobody can guarantee success, so if I can see that, then I'm sure top footballers will, and so top players may not come as they might not get the big win bonuses offered. Obviously that is up to them to a degree, but also up to which ever manager is in charge.

I think we'll have to continue to pay higher than most clubs for the foreseeable future, until at least until we have sustained success, and 2 significant trophies while sustained in City terms, is certainly not terms of the "world" clubs.

Agree with this. It's a great idea in principle, provided your club is an appealing and prestigious name in itself, which sadly we are not yet.

I might add that our early CL exits have been so incredibly damaging. Had we managed say a semi final, this would have been an enormous boost to our worldwide appeal as far as the top players are concerned.

Prestwich Blue makes a good point about Arsenal, but I don't think that City's pay structure will be anything like theirs. Arsenal's problem is that they pay excellent wages to players who aren't that good and wages way below the mark for top quality players. At Barcelona Sorriano and Begiristain paid top dollar for top class players right from the start and put together excellent packages for players such as Ronaldinho, at a time when United were after him and United's revenue was twice that of Barca's. The weather isn't that good in Barca to attract Ronaldinho on its own! But their were few players on the top tier at Barca then. Their wage bill has grown - it's now the biggest of any club, but so has the success and revenue! I think this will be what city do. The future at City of some big names really is up for discussion at the end of the season, though the spine of the team seems secure, and the number of top tier players may well be reduced. The number of younger players, on tier 2 and 3 wages, will increase. With incentives and City's growing revenue, we can still pay more than the clubs these players are at now. And then there are the "image rights" and sponsorship deals that can be offered with the Sheikh's world wide business contacts and Sorriano's and Begiristain's clout in the game. Certainly the CL hasn't done our image a great deal of good, but it hasn't done it that much damage either WITHIN THE GAME.

Q-Blue said:
Great idea! We should have been doing this for the last 30 years, given some of the lazy little tw*ts that we've had. Nicky Summerbee wouldn't have earned much and imagine how skint Danny Mills would be!

Feel free to add to the list. I'll start you off with McManaman.

If we had done this for the last 30 years, most of the players would have owed the club money!
;-)

The "lower basic salary / bigger bonuses for success" model does sound like a really good idea - a proper incentive and we'd be happy to pay people a lot if they are winning.

But then again, looking at it from players' / agents' point-of-view ...

... if you are joining Barcelona, it hardly seems a huge gamble if you agree to a lot of your income depending on success ? Only one proper rival in your own domestic league & cup, and a history of success in Europe.

But it's a bit different in the Premier League ... would players be as happy to join Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs ... even City ... if they had to win things to earn what they think they deserve ?
Not so sure.

Blue Theatre said:
The "lower basic salary / bigger bonuses for success" model does sound like a really good idea - a proper incentive and we'd be happy to pay people a lot if they are winning.

But then again, looking at it from players' / agents' point-of-view ...

... if you are joining Barcelona, it hardly seems a huge gamble if you agree to a lot of your income depending on success ? Only one proper rival in your own domestic league & cup, and a history of success in Europe.

But it's a bit different in the Premier League ... would players be as happy to join Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs ... even City ... if they had to win things to earn what they think they deserve ?
Not so sure.
Barcelona can not sign every player, usually it's 1-2 players a season. But they beat us to Sanchez which was not a shock.

The Premiership is the strongest League in the world, in every sense, and will be a tremendous draw for any player. And after Man Utd we are now the biggest club in that League. We'll be after a striker next season. I don't think Utd will as they have just bought RVP at tremendous expense.

But then thinking about it, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal will all be in for a striker - maybe 1 of those clubs will be out of the Champions League and therefore unable to compete. Let us hope that that is Chelsea as they are the club who are most often quoted as our rivals for falcao, and anyone who gets him will almost certainly put themselves in contention for their League

Our basics would still be higher than what most clubs could still offer in total, as it said it'd be capped at around £140,000/week which very few clubs can pay a player, full stop.

Wasnt too long ago, 2010 that Barcelona had to take a 197 million loan out due to cash flow issues that resulted in players not being paid on time, so hope its the recent model and not the old one was are copying :)-

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.