City to lock down Coentrao in January

Blue Haze

Manchester City will make a £20 million bid for Benfica’s talented left-back Fabio Coentrao when the January transfer window re-opens for business.

The versatile Portuguese international can also play on the left of midfield, a position he originally vacated to take up defensive duties for club and country.

City have been monitoring Coentrao for several months but are acutely aware they face growing competition from European rivals notable in Spain and Italy.

Real Madrid’s Jose Mourinho is known to be an admirer while arch rivals Barcelona made an unsuccessful attempt to land the 22-year-old in the summer.

In Italy Milan giants AC and Inter have weighed up bids for the youngster along with Roma and German giants Bayern Munich.

Least of City’s worries are Liverpool who made an enquiry for Coentrao but where frightened off by the protracted transfer fee Benfica were demanding.

City’s enormous wealth is more than likely to put them in an enormous position of strength over their rivals with some reports in Portugal already suggesting they have agreed a deal with Benfica and Coentrao’s move to Eastlands is a formality by the turn of the year.

His arrival will signal the end of Wayne Bridge’s career at City.

Prior to speculation surrounding Coentrao’s arrival Bridge had already been expected to be off-loaded in January.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Manchester-City-to-lock-down-Fabio-Coentrao-from-Benfica-for-20million-article632683.html#ixzz15sQDHKxa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tr ... z15sQDHKxa</a>

Not sure what we do with Kolarov. But Coentrao is class. Wonder if we'd try him out as a pacey left winger.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPovkRaJrXM[/youtube]

I doubt he will come as Kolarov's substitute but he's million miles better than Bridge, of course!

This sounds fabricated, as good as he is, as we have Kolarov and Contrao is not the type who would sign to sit on the bench. I think we will go for someone young and learning, but talented, as Kolarov's deputy, like Radu who we were linked with.

Agent trying to drum up a move somewhere, no way we will go for him.

we need to get used to this, every top player will have thier agents dropping our name whenever a contract discussion is due.

Dont want him or need him.

We already have Kolarov, Zabaletta, Bridge, Lescott, Boateng and even barry who can all play left back.

Unless Kolarov is earmarked for a move into midfield (i think he could do a very good job there), i can't see it.

Sounds like made-up newspaper crap. I doubt we'd spend £16m on a LB and then another £20m 6 months later on another one........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.