City v Everton post match

looking at the early pages of the thread is disappointing, far too much negativity surrounding a dominant draw.

We played an extremely tight and disciplined unit that are playing good stuff under a promising manager. We created ample chances, fluffed 2 pens, dominated play and played well for periods.

We drew, that feels like two points dropped due to the above reasons but teams will not set up much more difficult than that and we should have scored 4.

Against 11 men behind the ball, to create chances like we did, in the way that we did, was excellent... It showed that we will cope quite easily with the tactic in the future, as there won't be many teams as good as Koemans at defending there six yard box. Also, we won't have may days where the keeper makes world class save after save......

The poles in opinion stem from those able to see the whole pitch as they were there, the movement was excellent as we were invariably in positions 9/10 times to cause a threat (against a parked bus), to suggest otherwise is shortsighted, not because the minority are 'clueless' but the camera doesn't tell the whole story!!
I don't want to re-litigate this point, as we'll have to agree to disagree on it. That said, not seeing the whole field does not necessarily negate my point.

As a claim of not being able to see the whole field is only relevant in regards to what I did not see. For that which I can see, not seeing the whole field is not a defense.

I saw instances of stagnation by individual players who's movement to certain areas would have changed the complexity of certain exchanges. On 2 occasions Sane on the ball with Gundogan and Silva not moving to create space or passing lanes in the final third. These 2 instances couldn't be explained away by a claim of not seeing the field. Similarly I noted earlier 3 instances in which teammates failed to pick up DeBryune run down the middle.

These instances in the game that I saw ( again, negating the ' you didn't see the whole field claim') is what my notion of us being sluggish in the final third is based on.

Also of note, when Nolito was introduced against the very same staunch defense, his movements was a nuisance. His goal itself was an example of that movement and Nuisance that was lacking pre introduction. The way he curled from the left side of the field to the center of the 18 caused defenders to lose him in the melee. It was this kind of movement that was often lacking.

So, yes while the pass and control of the game was good, the final area movement ans passing was below par. Some of it was due to good team defense on Everton's part, but also below par movement on ours.

On many occasions, Sterling and Sane best their individual defenders like a rag, this kind of action naturally causes a rift in any defensive structure. But only in out players are moving incisevely. For good portions of the game I could see they weren't. And thus I can't see how what I saw 'in specific instances" can be refuted by claims of not seeing the whole field.

Last edited:
I thought City were outstanding at times on Saturday. Everton are clearly no mugs and we completely dominated from start to finish, that doesn't happen if you aren't on your game. Surprised by some of the negativity on here, sure the result was a little frustrating but it's hard to be critical of the team. When Koeman is saying it's the best team he has ever coached against and his keeper played the match of his life then I think we have plenty of reasons to still be cheerful.

Ive not seen the Coleman challenge,is there any footage doing the rounds?

All the highlights seem to cut off around the time he does the tackle.

There's usually loads of gifs and vines of this sort of thing but I couldn't find one!

d9xV0i.gif

Made this from a crappy youtube vid I found which just about shows it,also Oliver looking straight at it.

Gundogan was asked to play in a double pivot role with Dinho and I thought he did it very well.
Have to agree especially in the first half he did seem to go out of it a bit after the break. Overall I thought it was an excellent performance if one leaves out the obvious mistakes. Some of the football is as good as I have ever seen City play and that goes back a bit. Whether this good play will translate into silverware this season remains to be seen but the performance levels are certainly there already. Thought Everton were excellent defensively and they needed to be. Another tough game next in the league but if we play as well as Saturday we should be ok.

Why should that be a given? Everton currently have the second best defensive record in the division and a manager who has proved he can organise a defence and get his team working hard.

This performance was nothing like Villa away and comparing this year's Everton to last season's Villa is not what I'd call a convincing basis for an argument.

Yes, we dropped points where we shouldn't have but every team does that; the best teams do it less often and City must avoid making a habit of it.
Yes Mr. Ed makes about as much sense as well emm a horse in a stable!

100% this.
Precisely. I don't get to go to all games and I try to reflect this in my analysis. I was in my perch high up in the stand on Saturday and would have to say the performance was great with good movement and passing. Very unlucky not to win the game despite our glaring mistakes. Watching live on TV or worse still highlights a lot of the good work may have gone unnoticed. While we are still not the finished article I am convinced that we are very much on the right track. Perhaps a lot of the negative stuff on here is spawned by the general body of media opinion that seems to believe or hopes that Pep is about to fall flat on his face.

Largely agree. Some of our dominance was down to the way EFC played though. They deliberately ceded the battle for possession and flooded back to defend the box. And largely it worked. We had a handful of clear chances.
Indeed but they done their defensive duties very well as good as any team I've seen at the Ethiad to be honest. Lesser sides and if we had enjoyed a bit more luck and taken our chances Everton will get beat by 5 or 6.

I don't want to re-litigate this point, as we'll have to agree to disagree on it. That said, not seeing the whole field does not necessarily negate my point.

As a claim of not being able to see the whole field is only relevant in regards to what I did not see. For that which I can see, not seeing the whole field is not a defense.

I saw instances of stagnation by individual players who's movement to certain areas would have changed the complexity of certain exchanges. On 2 occasions Sane on the ball with Gundogan and Silva not moving to create space or passing lanes in the final third. These 2 instances couldn't be explained away by a claim of not seeing the field. Similarly I noted earlier 3 instances in which teammates failed to pick up DeBryune run down the middle.

These instances in the game that I saw ( again, negating the ' you didn't see the whole field claim') is what my notion of us being sluggish in the final third is based on.

Also of note, when Nolito was introduced against the very same staunch defense, his movements was a nuisance. His goal itself was an example of that movement and Nuisance that was lacking pre introduction. The way he curled from the left side of the field to the center of the 18 caused defenders to lose him in the melee. It was this kind of movement that was often lacking.

So, yes while the pass and control of the game was good, the final area movement ans passing was below par. Some of it was due to good team defense on Everton's part, but also below par movement on ours.

On many occasions, Sterling and Sane best their individual defenders like a rag, this kind of action naturally causes a rift in any defensive structure. But only in out players are moving incisevely. For good portions of the game I could see they weren't. And thus I can't see how what I saw 'in specific instances" can be refuted by claims of not seeing the whole field.

Precisely. I don't get to go to all games and I try to reflect this in my analysis. I was in my perch high up in the stand on Saturday and would have to say the performance was great with good movement and passing. Very unlucky not to win the game despite our glaring mistakes. Watching live on TV or worse still highlights a lot of the good work may have gone unnoticed. While we are still not the finished article I am convinced that we are very much on the right track. Perhaps a lot of the negative stuff on here is spawned by the general body of media opinion that seems to believe or hopes that Pep is about to fall flat on his face.
can't speak for other comments, but mine isn't influenced by any media leanings. Frankly, it couldn't be seeing as I'm not in England to read the media clippings.

I simply pointed out what I saw. Funny enough, a lot of those who's comments have been mostly positive also point out the very Sam issues I have. We just reached different conclusion. OB1 and Schfc6 both strongly disagree with my conclusion yet point out the very same facts. A lacking movement in the box ( or as I put it, around the final 3rd). Schfc6 purports this has some to do with our weaknesses at full back, Ob1 suggests, I think, it's not in the nature of some of our players, specifically Silva, Dihno, Gundogan to naturally take these dangerous positions or make these dangerous runs. These points are in line with my claims and conclusion that we didn't play well.

That Everton backed off and allowed us space on the in defense and the center of the park, also invariably reduces the amount of praise I ascribe to our domination in those parts of the field.

Thus, my 'negative conclusion' if it can be termed that, comes from adding up the following: We were good where Everton did not compete, and often unable to penetrate in areas in which they did. That plus flunking not 1 but 2 penalties leaves me hard pressed to conclude that was a good game.

We were dominant possession wise, but good doesn't seem to fit for me. I could be wrong

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.