City v Ipswich 1981 FA Cup Semi

I was too excited to go straight home after getting to our 1st FA Cup Final since 1969, so along with my younger brother and his 2 mates we decided to go for a couple of beers to celebrate City's great win.
I rang the girlfriend (she became my wife 1 week later) and told her we were stuck in traffic on the M6, whereas in reality we were in the Roebuck on Alkrington.
It took me about 10 years before I fessed up to my little white lie.
Long gone, now called Thornberries

Long gone, now called Thornberries
Yes pal. It's been Thornberries for about 20 years now. My old Dad lives just around the corner from there, I have been in with him to watch the odd City match,before he got Sky about 10 years ago.
On the evening of the Villa match,I had already moved out of his house and was living with the missus in Middleton Junction,but my younger brother was still living at home with Mum and Dad.

Yes pal. It's been Thornberries for about 20 years now. My old Dad lives just around the corner from there, I have been in with him to watch the odd City match,before he got Sky about 10 years ago.
On the evening of the Villa match,I had already moved out of his house and was living with the missus in Middleton Junction,but my younger brother was still living at home with Mum and Dad.
I also live round the corner. Lanky Fold is the City pub in alky. The Alkrington branch run from there. Although I not a member as we do our own thing from the Albion in the centre

Memories to follow tomorrow, but in the meantime, here are the highlights. Bedlam when we scored, but we were worthy winners in the end against much more fancied opponents:

Memories to follow tomorrow, but in the meantime, here are the highlights. Bedlam when we scored, but we were worthy winners in the end against much more fancied opponents:

Love the red/black stripes

I was in the Holte end about half way back. Singing "on the march with John Bond's army" what felt like forever. Could hardly breathe at the end and felt like I'd played the 120 mins I was that knackered. So glad this was at Villa and not like nowadays at Wembley.

went to this game with a mate (who has sadly passed away) on the train. He had a ticket I didn't couldn't get in at the end he went in so tried the Holt end and got in. Remember the goal, celebrations and not much else. Fuck me that was a long time ago. That was around the time I left our house on a Saturday morning with 4p and ended up sneaking on the City special to Norwich watching City and coming home with £1.50 after nicking some programs and selling them on.
Twat. I am in work, should be working and I have just burst out laughing at this!!!

I was living in Coventry and hadn't been to a City match in ages apart from the visit to Highfield Road. I managed to get a ticket from a friend and travelled through on the train. I really enjoyed the game.

What a day that was ! I remember me & my mates buying a shitload of beer from an Asian Off Licence not far from the ground. We drank them sat on a garden wall opposite the Holte End turnstiles. We stacked the empties in a huge pyramid on the wall, much to the amusement of the local plod. Wouldn't be permitted nowadays, I suppose.

Is this the same roebuck that accomadated morning drives.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.