City v Roma 1980

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I must confess, looking back I feel unusually attached to that group of players, even though it marked a serious downgrade from the squad in situ a couple of years earlier.

Maybe it was my age (10) when that game was played. I reckon I'd have idolised pretty much anyone playing for City at that time.

I felt exactly the same. Probably the exuberance of youth GDM.

I would've been 8 when we got beat by Halifax in 1980. What made it worse was some "expert" in the Daily Mirror had us nailed on for the quarters and maybe further.

Listened to the first half on the Radio at my Nanas before walking home at HT. Every loose stone en-route was expertly slotted past anything that resembled a goal. Trees, bollards & parked cars. Every piece of rubble that passed through these surrogate goalposts was one for Daley, Henry and a couple for Robinson.

Got home and reality hit home. Despite my expert finishes, we weren't 4-0 up. The alternative of hanging on for a replay seemed an acceptable option. The rest as they say is history.

I really enjoyed watching those goals and I loved how enthusiastically the players celebrated them.

Blue Punter said:
I must confess, looking back I feel unusually attached to that group of players, even though it marked a serious downgrade from the squad in situ a couple of years earlier.

Maybe it was my age (10) when that game was played. I reckon I'd have idolised pretty much anyone playing for City at that time.

I would've been 8 when we got beat by Halifax in 1980. What made it worse was some "expert" in the Daily Mirror had us nailed on for the quarters and maybe further.

Listened to the first half on the Radio at my Nanas before walking home at HT. Every loose stone en-route was expertly slotted past anything that resembled a goal. Trees, bollards & parked cars. Every piece of rubble that passed through these surrogate goalposts was one for Daley, Henry and a couple for Robinson.

Got home and reality hit home. Despite my expert finishes, we weren't 4-0 up. The alternative of hanging on for a replay seemed an acceptable option. The rest as they say is history.

I really enjoyed watching those goals and I loved how enthusiastically the players celebrated them.
I remember exactly where I was when we lost that Halifax game too, BP. I was (as I had been when we'd got knocked out by Shrewsbury the season before) at my dad's shop in Miles Platting, as I usually was on a Saturday, hoping my uncle would take me to Maine Road if City were at home.

We weren't at home that day, obviously, but I remember the feeling of crushing disappointment, accentuated by the fact that united were FA Cup holders. I learned to hate them a little bit more that day.

City, however, were starting to acquaint me with the travails that would be associated with following the club for the next 30 or so years.

Blue Punter said:

I remember exactly where I was when we lost that Halifax game too, BP. I was (as I had been when we'd got knocked out by Shrewsbury the season before) at my dad's shop in Miles Platting, as I usually was on a Saturday, hoping my uncle would take me to Maine Road if City were at home.

We weren't at home that day, obviously, but I remember the feeling of crushing disappointment, accentuated by the fact that united were FA Cup holders. I learned to hate them a little bit more that day.

City, however, were starting to acquaint me with the travails that would be associated with following the club for the next 30 or so years.
You had to mention the "H" word didn't you! Despite everything that happened in the 90s that is still my worst City memory, the whole fucking day from start to finish.

lancs blue said:
Blue Punter said:

You had to mention the "H" word didn't you! Despite everything that happened in the 90s that is still my worst City memory, the whole fucking day from start to finish.
It's a thoroughly depressing town, most especially in January.

Tbilisi said:
I thought it was £1.47, but I'm not the type to engage in petty point scoring.

Think you maybe correct GDM,but he was shite at City no mistake.
My (rag, admittedly) dad described him as the worst midfielder he ever saw in the top flight "apart from Kleberson".

He was quite a powerful midfielder at Wolves. I knew someone who worked with him when he was a rep at Carlsberg-Tetley ( as they then were) who said he was a top bloke. Took the piss out of himself with great grace.

That's his act on the after dinner circuit. He is very good though !

lancs blue said:
Blue Punter said:

My Auntie Sylvia explained to Halifax's manager in the Players Lounge after the game that the poor pitch had spoilt the game. He replied that it had been the same for both sides!

Blue Punter said:

United weren't cup holders....not being picky, but trying to remove any lingering disappointment.

Manx Blue said:
Blue Punter said:

United weren't cup holders....not being picky, but trying to remove any lingering disappointment.
Sorry mate, you're entirely right. Not sure what I was thinking there. I was pissed off when they were in the Final the year before, obviously.

I am obviously such a top blue that I over exaggerate their achievements just to make myself hate them even more ;-)

I watched that Halifax game on you tube last night . Got to say I loved that red and black away shirt we played in then . Got to say the pitch was a total mess that day . Unlike the match against Roma in that friendly .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.