City v Roma 1980

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Blue Punter said:
I must confess, looking back I feel unusually attached to that group of players, even though it marked a serious downgrade from the squad in situ a couple of years earlier.

Maybe it was my age (10) when that game was played. I reckon I'd have idolised pretty much anyone playing for City at that time.

I felt exactly the same. Probably the exuberance of youth GDM.

I would've been 8 when we got beat by Halifax in 1980. What made it worse was some "expert" in the Daily Mirror had us nailed on for the quarters and maybe further.

Listened to the first half on the Radio at my Nanas before walking home at HT. Every loose stone en-route was expertly slotted past anything that resembled a goal. Trees, bollards & parked cars. Every piece of rubble that passed through these surrogate goalposts was one for Daley, Henry and a couple for Robinson.

Got home and reality hit home. Despite my expert finishes, we weren't 4-0 up. The alternative of hanging on for a replay seemed an acceptable option. The rest as they say is history.

I really enjoyed watching those goals and I loved how enthusiastically the players celebrated them.
I remember exactly where I was when we lost that Halifax game too, BP. I was (as I had been when we'd got knocked out by Shrewsbury the season before) at my dad's shop in Miles Platting, as I usually was on a Saturday, hoping my uncle would take me to Maine Road if City were at home.

We weren't at home that day, obviously, but I remember the feeling of crushing disappointment, accentuated by the fact that united were FA Cup holders. I learned to hate them a little bit more that day.

City, however, were starting to acquaint me with the travails that would be associated with following the club for the next 30 or so years.

If we’re all chipping in with our Halifax memories:

I was a mere 12yr old at time of said match and was smitten with a girl from the year above at high school. Not sure if it was her witty repartee; her ability to conjugate the pluperfect in French or her enormous tits that bedazzled me, but awestruck I was. So, when offered the chance to go and watch “The Lady and the Tramp” in Bolton on a dark Saturday afternoon, what choice did I have? An afternoon of fumbling and having my neck well and truly covered in mind-bogglingly large love-bites, would, I thought, be the cake to a City victory cherry topping. Had no idea what the score was as I disembarked from the 524 at Radcliffe Bus Station. I wandered into a newsagents on Radcliffe New Rd, pulled The Pink from the counter and eyed nervously up and down looking for City’s result. Genuinely thought it was a misprint and asked the bloke what the real score was. One nil. They lost. Walked home in the pissing rain, got a royal bollocking from me folks and sat, roll-neck sweater around my neck wondering what the fuck had happened to my team. A nice coda to an otherwise grey story: I got to finger her the following week.

johnnytapia said:
Blue Punter said:
I felt exactly the same. Probably the exuberance of youth GDM.

I would've been 8 when we got beat by Halifax in 1980. What made it worse was some "expert" in the Daily Mirror had us nailed on for the quarters and maybe further.

Listened to the first half on the Radio at my Nanas before walking home at HT. Every loose stone en-route was expertly slotted past anything that resembled a goal. Trees, bollards & parked cars. Every piece of rubble that passed through these surrogate goalposts was one for Daley, Henry and a couple for Robinson.

Got home and reality hit home. Despite my expert finishes, we weren't 4-0 up. The alternative of hanging on for a replay seemed an acceptable option. The rest as they say is history.

I really enjoyed watching those goals and I loved how enthusiastically the players celebrated them.
I remember exactly where I was when we lost that Halifax game too, BP. I was (as I had been when we'd got knocked out by Shrewsbury the season before) at my dad's shop in Miles Platting, as I usually was on a Saturday, hoping my uncle would take me to Maine Road if City were at home.

We weren't at home that day, obviously, but I remember the feeling of crushing disappointment, accentuated by the fact that united were FA Cup holders. I learned to hate them a little bit more that day.

City, however, were starting to acquaint me with the travails that would be associated with following the club for the next 30 or so years.

I was a mere 12yr old at time of said match and was smitten with a girl from the year above at high school. Not sure if it was her witty repartee; her ability to conjugate the pluperfect in French or her enormous tits that bedazzled me, but awestruck I was. So, when offered the chance to go and watch “The Lady and the Tramp” in Bolton on a dark Saturday afternoon, what choice did I have? An afternoon of fumbling and having my neck well and truly covered in mind-bogglingly large love-bites, would, I thought, be the cake to a City victory cherry topping. Had no idea what the score was as I disembarked from the 524 at Radcliffe Bus Station. I wandered into a newsagents on Radcliffe New Rd, pulled The Pink from the counter and eyed nervously up and down looking for City’s result. Genuinely thought it was a misprint and asked the bloke what the real score was. One nil. They lost. Walked home in the pissing rain, got a royal bollocking from me folks and sat, roll-neck sweater around my neck wondering what the fuck had happened to my team. A nice coda to an otherwise grey story: I got to finger her the following week.
Glad you could bring a bit of romance to proceedings, JT.

johnnytapia said:

Glad you could bring a bit of romance to proceedings, JT.

Happy to oblige. As was she.

I hope you didn't wash your hands and the let all your mates have a sniff down at the disco, jt

That bloody goalie .. I was asking the same question on here about a year ago - IIRC we borrowed Oldham's goalie for this tour.
Don't know why but later that summer big Joe did miss a few games with injury giving old Ronald McDonald a few starts for the first time in years.
There was a good game where we (apparently) put on a very good show at Notts F (when they were good) but lost 2-3 .. I think it was on MOTD but I have never seen the footage. Anyone seen that one? About September 1980?
Halifax - one of the first traumas of life for me. Can still remember sat at me Aunties in Hazel Grove with the radio .. still think it was a bloody cheat pumping water all over that sodden mudheap and then saying "it was same for both"... i.e. yes , we will bring you down to our level by making playing proper football impossible!

baildon blue said:
The goal keeper for City is Platt . I thought Corrigan was are keeper in 1980 . I never knew we had a keeper called Platt !!!
Been searching for the last hour and can only find a goalkeeper who played for Oldham and Bury -I wonder if that's him?

could you imagine playing on a pitch like that nowadays ? could you imagine Silva ,Navas and others faces thinking wtf !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.