City v Soton to

Pen to Soton! Somebody playing netball in our box. Or it a trip! Fellas down n ref, who's having a cracker of a game no hesitation! Bloody added time an they get back in! If gun had stayed still he could have whacked it upfield! HT 2-1! We had this game by the throat!!

Quiet game for Kelechi but he did get 3 assists! Not a very good game for Roberts but he did score and he will be a top player for us.Just needs time ,opportunities and some confidence. Maffeo is quality

Interesting game.

City started so well. Patching and Celina were unplayable for the first 20 minutes, controlling the midfield, beating players, spreading the ball and playing at a tempo which Southampton just couldn't cope with. City took full advantage. Celina curled in a beauty from just outside the box, after Kelechi had bundled his way through a couple of challenges. The 2nd saw another fine bit of play from Celina, setting Roberts away, who drove at his man, before squaring to Kelechi, who made a yard of space for himself before sliding the ball to Faupaula who provided a composed finish.

After that, Southampton regrouped. A slight change in formation, provided an extra man in midfield which nullified Celina, and City didn't really seem to have a response. Southampton with more of the ball, were able to target city's weakness in defence. Both City fullbacks were regularly exposed by a lack of defensive support from Roberts and Faupaula on either flank. Plummer at centre half was once again all over the place. He really does look way out of his depth at this level, and it is surely only a matter of time before he is moved on.

Horsefield at right back, did ok. He is a confident lad, and an old fashioned, tenacious defensive fullback. A rarity in the modern game, and doesn't really fit into the city way of playing I think he has the ability and application to do well in the game, but probably needs to move on find a club where fullbacks are required to defend, and only defend.

Ash Smith-Brown struggled, but never gave up. He still has a lot to learn on the left, but certainly wasn't helped by the lack of defensive cover from the hapless Plummer at left-centre back and Faupaula on the left wing.

This wasn't one of Faupaula's better games, and personally I think he looks a lot more effective down the middle. I'm still a little unsure what type of player we have signed. He is a physical specimen, and an interesting move away from the smaller, more technically gifted players we are used to bringing in from abroad over the last few years. He is still finding his feet in the English game, but has shown signs of improvement over recent weeks, and I really am interested to see how he develops, and what our scouting system saw in him.

Roberts really struggled, but, he still never stopped trying to beat his man. The fullback played him exceptionally well, and almost always got the better of Roberts, but this didn't stop Roberts trying to beat him, and every time he got the ball his first thought was to drive forward and try to beat his man. This to me was encouraging, (and he got his reward with the 3rd goal late on) but I dread to think how some of our idiot boo-boy fans would cope with this at first team level! He really is a talent, but needs managing very carefully at first team level, as I worry these idiot fans could easily break his confidence.

I like Celina a lot. With better players and better movement around him, I feel him could easily slot into our first team, and make a real impact off the bench. After one of the best 20 minutes I've seen from a player at this level, he drifted in and out for the rest of the game, and isn't the best defensively when we don't have the ball. He needs to work on this element of his game, but his ability to pick a pass and create something from nothing is what he is all about.

Patching, is a younger Evans. Very similar in style, very composed and extremely confident at such a young age. He does the simple things incredibly well, retains possession, breaks up play and moves the ball at pace. He has an ability to make space in tight areas that just can’t be taught. In the first 20 minutes, he was unplayable, and worked like a Trojan throughout. He does have a habit of tiring around the 60 minute mark at the moment though. This is absolutely something he needs to work on, but I have no doubt that his fitness levels, and ability to manage his work rate will improve with experience and age.

Glendon was anonymous. Very disappointing and probably the worst I have see him play. I am usually his biggest fan, but he just couldn't get a foothold in this game, and didn’t offer the cover to the back 4 which he usually does. The game seemed to bypass him. I wonder if after picking up a knock recently, he is maybe carrying a bit of an injury?

Gunn made a few fantastic saves and really did keep City in the game. A great shot-stopper. Gunn (like all City keepers at this level), is obviously told to play the ball short, and retain possession amongst the back four. He is very comfortable with the ball at his feet, but at times takes too many risks, and needs to work on his decision making in this area.

Interesting to see Kelechi ploughing a lone furrow up front after MP's recent comments that he doesn't believe he can do this! Kelechi was isolated for large parts of the game, but he worked tirelessly, closing down the defence, dropping deep to get involved and running the channels repeatedly, despite very rarely being seen. He played a part in all 3 goals, and showed some encouraging signs, which mean he absolutely should not be written off by MP as a future 1st team front man. Just needs to work on his hold-up play, and better use his frame and strength to keep the ball and allow time for others to support him.

Great to see Bytyqi get 30 minutes after a year out through injury. Hopefully he can get back to his best, as he really was looking a talent before his loan and subsequent injury.

Man of the match for City was unquestionably Maffeo. Yes, he isn’t a centre half, but, his ability to read the game, break up the flow of play, and retain possession is exceptional. He really is mature beyond his years, and his decision making in when to hold up the attacker and when to make a tackle is one of his main assets. In this game, he single-handedly carried a very weak City back 4. He wins a surprising amount of headers for his height, and is an absolute bulldog in the tackle.

The way MP has run Sagna into the ground by playing him repeatedly in all 3 competitions during Zabba’s injury, without attempting to integrate Maffeo into the first team is criminal! I really hope (like Trippier), that he doesn’t have to leave City for 1st team football before being given the chance he deserves, but rumour on the grapevine is that a loan at NYCFC awaits. Fingers crossed this turns out to be the right move for him!

Last edited:
The way MP has run Sagna into the ground by playing him repeatedly in all 3 competitions during Zabba’s injury, without attempting to integrate Maffeo into the first team is criminal! I really hope (like Trippier), that he doesn’t have to leave City for 1st team football before being given the chance he deserves, but rumour on the grapevine is that a loan at NYCFC awaits. Fingers crossed this turns out to be the right move for him!

With games coming so thick and fast and with Zab out, it has been the perfect opportunity to give some of the EDS lads a crack. Maffeo looked very good last night and I'm sure he could have come on for a couple of sub appearances and performed well. Pellers is not a gambling man, I fear, and we are never gonna see a sprinkling of the EDS taking the field for the first team, no matter what the game!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.