City versus Benfica

Well it's going to be interesting to see what our new Nigerian lads can do next season, Kelechi Iheanacho and Chidiebere Nwakali both look promising players

We were unlucky tonight, the difference was the keepers. Their keeper made a worldie save in the first half and a few decent ones second. We were by far the best side first half but didnt really do anything second half until they scored as we just passed it sideways n back to the keeper. Definatley didnt deserve to lose that though, they looked gutted at the end but they did themselves proud.

Lads did us so proud, some real talent there, could see how much it actually meant to them, so well done guys! Can't believe so many people turned up, was such amazing support, not so great having to queue a half hour to get in! Again well done guys, some great futures ahead (:

Blue Smarties said:
So then, this keeper of there's, is he any good or was it a one off?
About as close to a nobody as anyone can be tbh. I think that's only the second game he's played for Benfica at just about any level, as far as I'm aware he's their 3rd choice 19 year old goalkeeper. Sounds like he had an absolute stormer though

BigOscar said:
Blue Smarties said:
About as close to a nobody as anyone can be tbh. I think that's only the second game he's played for Benfica at just about any level, as far as I'm aware he's their 3rd choice 19 year old goalkeeper. Sounds like he had an absolute stormer though
city twitter over exagerated when they kept saying brilliant save, he made a class one first half but second half he was making the most of some fairly comfortable saves. Cant remember seeing him actually catch the ball either.

BigOscar said:
Blue Smarties said:

He made what looked like a cracking double save in the first half from a Lopez(thinks) free kick, other than that i didn't see much else.

my lad and I got to meet Vinny in the tunnel just after half time.

[bigimg]http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv178/talkativesprout/20140318_200144_zps588f8d67.jpg[/bigimg]

Blue Smarties said:

Dunno but there were half a dozen match-winning saves that kept us out. We should have had the game won easily in the first half, but Benfica are unbeaten in this competition and you can see why. They had a bit more which told in the second half. Good performance by City but we didn't have a half share of the luck.

Didn't think much of Benfica at all so I am amazed they are unbeaten so far.Easy to say we should have won easily but that's the case tonight.They really created nothing all night and we let them score 2 goals.One from a distance when we didn't try to close the player down and the keeper seemed stunned that he shot and almost didn't move till the ball was at him.

The 2nd was a weak cross that somebody ,Denayer I think, just let it through.Just so so soft. We then woke up and could have scored 4 or 5 times but a bit of bad luck and some special, at times lucky,keeping kept us out.

But if Benfica are a good side then so are we as we were much the better side tonight.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
Didn't think much of Benfica at all so I am amazed they are unbeaten so far.Easy to say we should have won easily but that's the case tonight.They really created nothing all night and we let them score 2 goals.One from a distance when we didn't try to close the player down and the keeper seemed stunned that he shot and almost didn't move till the ball was at him.

The 2nd was a weak cross that somebody ,Denayer I think, just let it through.Just so so soft. We then woke up and could have scored 4 or 5 times but a bit of bad luck and some special, at times lucky,keeping kept us out.

But if Benfica are a good side then so are we as we were much the better side tonight.
They've not really had to play anyone of any particular note so far, so being unbeaten is probably more an anomaly than a testament to how good they are. PSG were the second seeded team in their group and their youth teams aren't remotely comparable to the first team, then they drew Austria Vienna in the next round, who aren't exactly world beaters.

The Benfica U19 team seems to be mainly younger players who they have high hopes for and then older players who aren't good enough to be in the Benfica B team, it's not their strongest available 11 like ours is, so we should be aspiring to be a lot better than them. (which it sounds like we were) Hopefully it will be an important lesson though in the importance of killing games off when you're dominating and it should be very interesting next year with how well our U18 team has been doing this year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.