bluechampion7891 said:
Citizen in Pakistan said:
Wow
First half stats
Bayern 2-1
Possession 65-35
And with 10 men

Second half
Hardly a chance created apart from lampard effort and navas one ,and still overall possession
Bayern 56 city 44

And goals came from mistakes rather than chances created ,so I'm not sure if I was watching a different game or I'm a rag or I forgot my meds but certainly ain't blind

posesseion aside....a much more balanced view of the game would be:
1) Bayern started well - especially with that shot on Hart
2) City got back - kept them at bay and countered
3) Aguero penalty followed from that - although bayern controlled the game they werent a threat
4) much better than bayern till the free kick - I remember couple of good crosses in the box but no one was there
5) from the moment we conceded we were poor till the end of the first half
6) in second half it was a game of attrition mostly till Kun turned it around

I dont think we played as bad as you made out in the 1st post

How many saves did Joe have to make?

Possession is worth fuck all if you don't score goals.

Just like though how there keeper just gives it to a defender to start play again, Pellegrini and Joe please take note.

i wasnt agreeing with him. my point is the same as yours - we gave them a good game even when they were 11. joe only had to make 1 save

Chuffed with the result and very happy with the shape of the team in general. We looked a lot more like a functioning team than we usually do in Europe, with some fantastic performances from Aguero, Mangala and I thought Fernando was all over the place getting tackles in. Makes a huge difference that he can chase people down and not leave a huge gap in front of our defence. We looked far more solid and a far better shape. Chuffed.

Makes a huge difference as well when the referee doesn't fuck you over!

Jullarkey said:
Still in shock, what an amazing night.

If we were to draw 1-1 in Rome, what would the goal difference be like? I know some of you have pointed to the 7-1 result but didn't Roma hammer CSKA in the first round of games to sort of narrow that down?
1-1 puts us through as long as CSKA lose to Bayern.

bored at work said:
jimharri said:
To look at tonight's result dispassionately (not easy!), doesn't it just make you think how bloody annoying those two results against CSKA were. 1 frigging point against them. How did we manage to fuck up so badly against such an, let's face it, ordinary side?

Impartial refereeing performance might be a significant factor...

yep, for the 1st time in the last 7 games we had a decent referee

Brilliant from the lads, the ref for once was actually competent tonight unlike most of the other mugs we're usually dealt with. Can't believe we're actually in control our own destiny after the total surrender v CSKA in both ties. GET IN THERE!!!

CTID.

CaliforniaBlue said:
Ray78 said:
bitsmith said:
Any draw with goals send us through now if Bayern beat CSKA.

Uh, looks much better, let+s do it.

1-1 and Roma will go through,
Someone posted the tie-breaker rules on the match thread and it's just the traditional goal difference as the first tie breaker iirc. Since we're now at -1 and Roma and CSKA are both -4, any draw takes us through as long as CSKA don't beat Bayern, and any win takes us through as long as CSKA don't beat Bayern by 3 more than we win by.

Not any draw. head to head is first, 0:0 draw and Roma qualifies.

BigOscar said:
Chuffed with the result and very happy with the shape of the team in general. We looked a lot more like a functioning team than we usually do in Europe, with some fantastic performances from Aguero, Mangala and I thought Fernando was all over the place getting tackles in. Makes a huge difference that he can chase people down and not leave a huge gap in front of our defence. We looked far more solid and a far better shape. Chuffed.

Makes a huge difference as well when the referee doesn't fuck you over!

Important point over team's shape, which I thought was more of a 4-1-4-1 than anything else. City had a better shape than Bayern tonight IMO.

Great result for you lot today. I honestly don't think the performance matters. Both teams were missing several fist teams were missing key players, though Bayern were missing more. Bayern took control of the first 10 minutes, but after that I think City were back into the game and deserving of the goalm though it was a rash mistake from Benatia again (he seems to make too many of these). After the goal it was bad from City. Clichy, Lampard, Navas and Aguero all had very good games. In the end hard work, a great attitude and exceptional finishing from Aguero won the game. Aguero has to be the most clinical striker in world football except for Messi. I think he might be more clinical than even Ronaldo. If City were t qualify then really they need only be worried about Madrid and Barca. Dortmund depends on the players they have available, after that anything is possible and who knows. I imagine the players will feel like they have a free hit too, after being so close to going out.

Bayern were taking too many risks. Maybe, because it was a dead rubber, but constantly losing to City could come back to haunt them. Fine to take those risks early on, but not in the last 15 when you are tired and have run a lot. Even a squad like Bayern's can only be stretched so far. Hojbjerg was very good for his age, but he is still not world class. Alonso made mistakes when pressed as Spain and Madrid were finding out last season. Bernat and Rafinha are far away from Alaba and Lahm.

It's going to be an amazing game in Roma and the atmosphere should be unbelievable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.